Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostap hormone become resistant

User
Posted 09 Jun 2018 at 00:08

Hi, 

i am new here and have recently been looking here for some hope and advice. My husband has been diagnosed with locally advanced prostate cancer. He has had Prostap injections and radiotherapy over the last 18 months. Six months after radiotherapy his PSA has risen from 2 to 7. They are now talking about Abiraterone or Enzalutamide -  is one considered better than the other?

Thank you  

User
Posted 09 Jun 2018 at 15:40
No, they are genuine alternatives but NICE won't let you have both, so it will be one or the other, unless one is started and causes an adverse reaction, in which case a swap may be advised. Your consultant, knowing the particular patient history may have a particular preference. Be guided by him/her.

AC

User
Posted 09 Jun 2018 at 17:06
Perhaps ask about early chemo too as this has shown to be beneficial.
User
Posted 20 Jun 2018 at 02:26
Hello

Sorry for not replying earlier I don't come on the site as often as I did.

Re the side effects.

I'm not sure which side effects are caused by the HT and which are due to the enzalutamide.

I've had the hot sweats since starting (usually about every 3 hours). I dress accordingly and try to keep near a breeze.

I'm getting wearier by the month and this seems to be speeding up. My muscles are beginning to waste and I'm getting strains at what were light efforts.

I am more tired and have more siestas than I did.

I hope this helps

Good luck

Paul

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 09 Jun 2018 at 15:40
No, they are genuine alternatives but NICE won't let you have both, so it will be one or the other, unless one is started and causes an adverse reaction, in which case a swap may be advised. Your consultant, knowing the particular patient history may have a particular preference. Be guided by him/her.

AC

User
Posted 09 Jun 2018 at 16:31

Thank you. I‘m not sure which one they are thinking of going with, but they did say he could only have one or the other. He has got to go for some scans first so I guess a decision will be made after that. I’m feeling worried at the moment  as I was thinking that the initial hormone therapy would have worked for a bit longer. Everything just seems so uncertain. 

User
Posted 09 Jun 2018 at 17:06
Perhaps ask about early chemo too as this has shown to be beneficial.
User
Posted 14 Jun 2018 at 21:44
Hello

42 months ago I started taking enzalutamide and abiraterone plus HT as part of a Stampede trial.

I dropped the abiraterone after about 4 months due to bad stomach. I've been on enzalutamide and HT ever since.

My onco told me that Abbiraterone was also more likely to affect ones heart although recent trials results re psa with the drug have been very positive.

This is just my own experience but it might stimulate some questions for your oncologist.

All the best

Paul

User
Posted 16 Jun 2018 at 13:29

Thank you. We will certainly ask about those points. We are still waiting for the scan appointment to come through. All the waiting is a worry! 

Positive to hear that the treatment seems effective for you.  Are the other side effects similar to other hormone therapy? My husband suffers greatly with the hot flushes at the minute with his existing hormone treatment. 

Best wishes 

User
Posted 20 Jun 2018 at 02:26
Hello

Sorry for not replying earlier I don't come on the site as often as I did.

Re the side effects.

I'm not sure which side effects are caused by the HT and which are due to the enzalutamide.

I've had the hot sweats since starting (usually about every 3 hours). I dress accordingly and try to keep near a breeze.

I'm getting wearier by the month and this seems to be speeding up. My muscles are beginning to waste and I'm getting strains at what were light efforts.

I am more tired and have more siestas than I did.

I hope this helps

Good luck

Paul