I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Scared of outcome

User
Posted 11 Jun 2018 at 16:11

my husband diagnosed today with prostate cancer. Am so worried (understatement) his MRI is showing cancer at front of prostate but advanced at back of prostate (where biopsies do not reach) His Gleason score 3+3 & T3a but because he has low back pain they have taken blood & are organising another MRI on his back to see if has gone to the bone. Will get results next Monday (waiting is so difficult) but have to say NHS have been wonderful. Just wondered if anyone else been through same. 

User
Posted 11 Jun 2018 at 22:14
Hi Wilma,

if you haven't already done so, download the toolkit from this website or call the number at the top of the page and order a copy - they can send it to you in the post. It gives a really great explanation of the different tests and what the results mean, treatment options and their side effects and general other useful things to help you think through what questions you might want to ask of the urologist or oncologist that you are referred to.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Jun 2018 at 23:43
Hi LynEyre

Thank you so much for your advice - I have ordered it to be sent by post & think it will be very useful. Did have one piece of good news after my post. Nurse who we saw at hospital this morning took the time to telephone us to say blood test was clear which was a relief. Thanks again

User
Posted 12 Jun 2018 at 00:11
well that is good news - it was perhaps his ALP that they were measuring, an indicator of whether there is lots of bone growth going on. Are they still going to do another scan though?

Depending on the results still to come in, he may be advised to see an oncologist as well as a urologist. Some men are suitable for surgery with a T3a while others are recommended to have one or more forms of radiotherapy; it would also be affected by any other medical conditions that he has. All you can do for now is wait to see what comes next Monday - update us as soon as you have any more details. Do you know what his PSA was?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Jun 2018 at 08:13

Hi - yes his first PSA was 5.9 & 2nd was 6.1. I am just scared where the cancer at the back of prostate may have spread to so hope the MRI he will have on his back this week will show. His PSA levels were not very high & he had absolutely no symptoms so it’s been a terrible shock (as I’m sure it has for everyone here) He does have severe anxiety & had massive panic attack in the night - everything always seems much worse at night. 

Thank you for your advice. Roll on Monday 

User
Posted 12 Jun 2018 at 17:36
The back of the prostate is towards his belly, not his spine. The side nearest his spine is the fronf of the prostate. Plus cancer doesn’t spread to bone by being near it - so it could spread to the shoulder blade and nowhere else. Weird but true.

Not much you can do to help him with the panic attacks apart from hold his hand and reassure him that 70% of men diagnosed have a curable cancer and of the others, many live for years and years after diagnosis.

User
Posted 12 Jun 2018 at 17:52

Thank you - he seems calmer now. really do appreciate your kind & knowledgable responses - it helps so much to know you’re not on your own 

User
Posted 12 Jun 2018 at 18:21
Wilma, I suffer from panic attacks and find that Diazepam (5mg tablets) really works for me. I don't take it regularly - just have a supply on hand for when required. It takes effect for me within minutes and really calms me down. Under normal circumstances (ie before my cancer diagnosis) a packet of 28 tablets lasted me a year or more. Since my diagnosis I've been using it pretty much every day.

If your husband hasn't tried it it might be worth asking your GP about.

Chris

User
Posted 12 Jun 2018 at 19:18

Hi Chris

thanks for suggestion - sounds like a good idea. Will contact GP. Hope everything goes well for you & many thanks.

User
Posted 12 Jun 2018 at 20:43
I have Diazepam 5mg and do my utmost not to take it regularly. For me it is really really effective when I wake up with that dread feeling in my chest in the morning. It settles me right down in 30 mins and gets me through the day tbh. I reckon 28 tablets lasts me 3 months. I try not to take it.
User
Posted 12 Jun 2018 at 21:29

I try not to take it too often, too, Chris - it gives me a weird “floating out of my body” feeling. But when my stomach feels as though it’s tying itself in knots and I’m in a panic, it works wonders. For the first couple of weeks after my diagnosis I was taking 2 or 3 a day (my GP said it was OK to take three in a day) but now I’m back down to one every couple of days.

Chris

Edited by member 12 Jun 2018 at 21:33  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Jun 2018 at 22:46

Weed might be better than Valium (to give it is old name!) and a lot less addictive. A friend of mine got hooked on Valium and he now has to take it to be "normal"

Must admit I have a stash (Valium that is!) that I was given for back pain - It' nice to know they are there. 

User
Posted 12 Jun 2018 at 23:37

It's certainly addictive if taken in large doses, long-term, yes, which is why it's no longer routinely prescribed that way as it once was. But occasional small doses for anxiety are safe enough, and work very well indeed. I've used it for that purpose for the last 20+ years. I sometimes go 3 months or more without using it at all, but when I do have an anxiety attack it really works.

Chris

Edited by member 12 Jun 2018 at 23:46  | Reason: Not specified