I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Chemo successful? Side affects?

User
Posted 13 Jun 2018 at 21:40

Hi I just wanted to find out how chemotherapy has affected different people? Also how successful is it? 

My dad has been offered 6 months of chemo one session every 18 days.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. 

Thank you 

Loo loo 

User
Posted 14 Jun 2018 at 16:40
Looloo, the 18 day cycle is unusual. 21 days is the norm for docetaxel. Makes me wonder what chemo your Dad has been offered. When you know that do a search on this site and (unless it is a very unusual chemo) you should find lots of entries to go through and answer your questions.

AC

User
Posted 19 Jun 2018 at 17:51

Hello,

sorry for the confusion it’s every 21 days. 

My Dad has his oncology appointment today where they have done his bloods for his PSA (which we are really hoping has come down since the hormone therapy as at diagnosis Dads PSA was 1500) we will find out In a couple of days time. 

so awaiting the first round of chemo hoping Dad will react well and all will be well worth it. 

Have you had chemo? If so what was your experience? 

Thanks for the response, 

Loo loo 

x

User
Posted 19 Jun 2018 at 22:38
Hi Loo loo

My husband had Chemo last year, PSA was 1303 at diagnosis. HT and Chemo brought it down to 1.1. Very few problems on Chemo and continued to work most days. Unfortunately once Chemo finished PSA started to rise. Now he is on a trial and PSA has started to come down again.

User
Posted 30 Jun 2018 at 14:10
Hello what does it mean trial .....
User
Posted 02 Jul 2018 at 16:30
Hello Hittsme can u tell me what is trial?????
User
Posted 02 Jul 2018 at 19:05
Hi BOSE

It's a drug trial,

With PSA rising (doubling about every 5 weeks) my husband was offered Abiraterone or Enzalutmide or to look at trials, We went to the Marsden and it was suggested a trial with Abiraterone plus either the trial drug or a placebo. This trial drug is Ipatasertib it's a double blind so only half the people will be on it. Lots of testing and checking and scans. So far it has reduced PSA and having scans done this week so will find out more next week. Minimal side effects. This trial is world wide. Many different countries are taking part.

There are lots of different drugs being trialled.

User
Posted 03 Jul 2018 at 15:34
Thank u Hittsme for solving my query Regards, Bose