I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Worried about my husband

User
Posted 15 Jun 2018 at 00:20

My husband is 49-years old.  At the end of April he was diagnosed with a UTI and started on Bactrim. initially his symptoms went away (cloudy urine, burning, urgency).  Then they returned.  His physician called and said the bacteria was resistant to bactrim, and started a new antibiotic.  Two days later, she ordered a psa which was 4.38.  Less than 2 years ago his psa was 1.07.  I am hoping this is inaccurate due to the UTI.  She ordered a TRUS and a calcificatio was found in the peripheral zone.  Tomorrow he sees a urologist.  I am really scared.

User
Posted 15 Jun 2018 at 00:54
Calcification (stones in the prostate) is very common and not linked to cancer although it does increase the risk of infection.

Good luck tomorrow.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 15 Jun 2018 at 10:14
A UTI can raise PSA, so can a number of other things, cancer is found in less than 25% of cases at a level of 4 and with a confirmed UTI that is more likely to be the reason. Good luck at the urologist!
User
Posted 15 Jun 2018 at 21:33
Thanks for the replies. The urologist is not concerned at this time. Repeat PSA in September but he anticipates it will be back to normal.
User
Posted 15 Jun 2018 at 22:09
Great news - enjoy the weekend
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard