I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Lycopene

User
Posted 18 Jun 2018 at 12:57

Since my diagnosis last year (gleason 3=4) I have been trying to eat a tin of tomatoes a day.  This is proving difficult as we travel a lot and also I am concerned about the amount of sugar involved.  I am thinking about taking Lycopene as a supplement and wondered how much I would need to take each day to equal a tin of tomatoes

User
Posted 18 Jun 2018 at 13:52
I found this video to useful when it comes to deciding what to eat and what not to eat:

https://youtu.be/ayjYnZy5OVM

Lycopene is fat soluble apparently so unless it is consumed with fat you won't absorb it.

I am a bit of a foodie and I was veggie for 30 years (did me no good whatsoever re not getting cancer in fact the dairy part of it was probably bad news)

Anyway I basically follow what the doc in the video recomends: So grass fed animal products where possible - the only way you really garuantee that is organic.

Loads of green leaves, lots of tomatoes, olive oil, rapeseed oil, linseed, fish, nuts

reduce / avoid carbs (inc potatoes / bread / rice) if you can't avoid always pick wholemeal, dairy, and anything with omega 6 in abundance eg sunflower oil.

Don't eat any sugar if I can help it - chocolate is a problem here!

Note I don't actually exclude anything so I still enjoy the odd steak, pizza and I always have capucino because frankly this life is for living!!

So to sum up vegan would probably be a good option but I have no idea how you have an enjoyable vegan diet without carbs! Oh and Vegan is not sustainable without serious nitrogen inputs and without animals that can only come from oil so is unsustainable.

User
Posted 18 Jun 2018 at 13:57
A quick Google search suggests that, as the previous poster advised, you need fat to absorb it, so things like tomato ketchup are the most efficient way to absorb lycopene. It's one of those situations where processed foods are better than fresh in that regard, apparently!

Chris

User
Posted 18 Jun 2018 at 14:42

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
A quick Google search suggests that, as the previous poster advised, you need fat to absorb it, so things like tomato ketchup are the most efficient way to absorb lycopene. It's one of those situations where processed foods are better than fresh in that regard, apparently!

Chris

No fat in ketchup and lots of added sugar so ketchup is a bad choice IMHO.

A tomato salad with buffalo mozzarella (grass fed!) and olive oil would be better.  Or rogan josh curries maybe ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

User
Posted 18 Jun 2018 at 14:53
I donโ€™t know and probably donโ€™t believe that diet has much to do with cancer, but I wonder if this delicious drink might be of interest to you:

https://www.bigtom.co.uk/

User
Posted 18 Jun 2018 at 22:47

Hiya Shetland,

To get readily absorbable lycopene into my diet I mix either olive,avocado or rapeseed oil with tomato purée into a wide range of beans such as black eyed, pinto, butter beans etc. Add fresh basil or other herbs and the good old Heinz 57 will lose some of its allure.I suppose if you wanted, you could still take a quality lycopene supplement. Some men with PCa, myself included, need to feel proactive which in turn gives us a feeling of control,of sorts.

All the best, Paul.