I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostrate cancer grade 8 T3

User
Posted 21 Jun 2018 at 17:44

hi, my husband has prostrate cancer grade 8 T3 stage,  diagnosed 2 yrs ago, has had 18 months of hormone injections followed by 37 days of radiation treatment, his psa never rises which is why it’s never been detected earlier, (a unique case they say, )  he is seen every 6 months  for check ups checking psa levels, apparently his last reading was 0.02 and today he has found out that it’s 0.07 . Should we be worried, ?  He is 65 in July and won’t talk as he’s a very private person, im v worried and spend my time re assuring him all will be fine, but is it worrying or not just need some advice if possible plz 

User
Posted 21 Jun 2018 at 22:29

Hi Maryliz,

PSA does not allways represent a true picture of how cancer is progressing but does more often than not, particularly if there is an overall upward trend and there are no other reasons for this such as UTI's, where the man has sex or vigorous exercise before taking the PSA test or if HT has been discontinued.. In the last case, as the effects of HT diminish, testosterone increases and because a man still has a prostate, albeit a radiated one, PSA can rise. I wonder if this could be the case with your husband. HT could have restrained his PSA while is was given. (It rather looks from what you say that it was stopped some time ago?) The rise is fairly small but needs monitoring.

Edited by member 22 Jun 2018 at 01:11  | Reason: spelling

Barry
User
Posted 22 Jun 2018 at 00:19

I notice only one reply, perhaps because it sounds unusual or perhaps someone is thinking back.  Was his psa that low before he was given hormones? Some might say such a movement could occur anyway as it's quite low, but if it normally doesn't rise then perhaps it's different. That they're waiting 6 months to the next test makes it seem they think it's not going to change critically and they're looking to find a trend.

User
Posted 22 Jun 2018 at 23:51
Hi it’s so lovely to hea r from you ,thankyou, I’m new to this kinda thing but it’s so nice to know I’m not alone in feeling the way I do, my husband is 65 use to be a work acolic very private kinda guy, (old school) has had t4oubles for few years urinating constantly throughout the night then went into retention, had catheter etc, then a TURP it was then he was told he had Cancer it was found in the clippings taken ( was told if he had realised this he never would of done the op turp) but it’s done now so too late for 5hevwhat ifs and buts ects if u no wat I mean, so had 3 MDT meetings apparently to try to decide the best routes to go.. anyway they opted for 18 months hormone therapy in which he became very abusive and nasty angry etc, it’s been a hard road to stay on if you no what I mean, but he’s had 37 days radiotherapy and meeting others in same situation daily was k8nda nice for me as I didn’t feel so alone which is kinda hard to say, my hubby Paul he just leans on me for everything and I try my best to stand tall and positive and won’t have negative thoughts like he does, soits a constant battle if you no what I mean, anyway, he’s ok at mo bit peed off sontimes passes blood in urine , pas has risen a little, but like I said previously it’s I dunno do we worry about it or not, I so appreciate your answers , and knowing I’m not alone in my worry’s is nice, thankyou..... plz can you tell me why after radio therapy having been a grade 8 4+4 T 3 stage will still be same, i being nieve 5hought it would of reduced it kinda made it a lower grade? Wishful thinking I guess? Thanks guys for hopefully understanding how I’m feeling and how my hubby Paul must be feeling inside. He doesn’t talk to me he’s kinda become silent and in his own little Paul bubble!

User
Posted 22 Jun 2018 at 23:58
His psa doesn’t rise like others so how else will they direct if it’s spread?
User
Posted 23 Jun 2018 at 00:30

The Gleason grade of 4+4 won' have changed unless they have taken more samples and re-graded it.

If he has been off HT for a while his PSA will rise a bit as he still has a prostate albeit an irradiated one.

He has had a curative therapy so fingers crossed it has worked and he can avoid going back on the hormone therapy.

It' now a waiting game as only time will tell if the treatment has been successful. 

User
Posted 23 Jun 2018 at 07:34
Thankyou francij1 ,Barry and Pete for replying much appreciated,
User
Posted 23 Jun 2018 at 13:20

Hi,

Sorry to hear you and your husband have had such a rough time.

I had just over 2 years on hormone treatment and radiotherapy.  When I stopped having the hormone treatment it took nearly a year for it the leave my system.  As soon as it did, my PSA rose.  This maybe why your husband's figures have risen.  It is quite normal for this to happen and is expected.  It just needs regular checks to see how it's going.

Having said that it is worthwhile letting the oncologist check him out to see if anything else is going on.  They're the experts.

I hope everything goes well for you in the coming months.

Steve

User
Posted 23 Jun 2018 at 18:33
hi all, my wife has know got me on this, my name is Paul, she thinks it is best for me to talk to you all as you have all had the same problem as I have, trying to open up is very hard for me I find it hard to talk about this to others. I feel lost and don’t now what to do and to be honest sometimes I feel isolated even though my wife is very supportive. The cancer was not discovered till I had a turp operation when it was found in the clippings even though I was under the doctors for 2 years for having to get up several times in the night even though I had blood tests it was not detected because my PSA was always low? I have been passed over to oncology now and have my first appointment on Monday afternoon, due that it was not detected in my PSA blood tests before I have little faith in the test results.

Thanks for listening.

Paul

User
Posted 23 Jun 2018 at 18:39
Sorry I was diagnosed in April 2015 I was put on hormon injections for just over a year. I had 37 sessions of radiotherapy, nothing since. Am due to see oncologist on Monday
User
Posted 23 Jun 2018 at 22:38
Hello Maryliz,

This is something I posted on another thread but I hope it might be helpful to you.

My last four PSA results are - 0.01, 0.04, 0.08 and 0.18

My oncologist doesn’t seem too concerned and thinks it might even out, she said that unless it reached 2.0 they wouldn’t take any further action on my behalf.

Just to keep any eye on things she wants to see me in 4 months instead of the 6 monthly appointments I’ve been having.

Best wishes,

Arthur

User
Posted 23 Jun 2018 at 23:27
Hi Authur.

Thank you for that information has made me feel easier about the PSA going up, i have an appointment on Monday at 3.50 and will see what the oncologist has to say.

Thank you

Paul.

User
Posted 24 Jun 2018 at 06:39
Paul,

I forgot to say that similar to you I had retention, HT, a TURP then radiotherapy.

Click on my name to see the full story.

Arthur

User
Posted 24 Jun 2018 at 21:19
There is low as in under circa 10 which some GP's wouldn't refer then there is low under a normal range for age. Might be worth asking what the actual results were.

I had referral at PSA of 6 - 2nd biopsy giving Gleason 8. As my profile shows after treatment my PSA moves around bit - but no cancer found as yet (next blood test tomorrow).

As regards does Gleason score change? Well hopefully you have no grade because treatment killed all cancer cells off.

Ray