I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSMA

User
Posted 25 Jun 2018 at 12:01

The attached article appeared in the Sunday Express, 24 June 2018. From my limited research and even more limited medical research knowledge, the headline "Magic Bullet for prostate cancer" is an exaggeration of fact. But maybe I am wrong. Should I be making urgent contact with my oncology team to see if I can get put on to a trial for this magic bullet? My cancer has spread to my bones, so I could be a suitable candidate.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/978714/prostate-cancer-magic-bullet-kills-tumour-cells-with-nuclear-energy

Regards

Ian

User
Posted 25 Jun 2018 at 18:00

The information given in the article is short on detail and long on optimism. It sounds similar if not the same as Lu177 being administered which binds to PSMA. One of our members investigated this and was due to have it abroad. This is extremely expensive. Because of this it is a prerequiste that a man has suitable PSMA (about 10% of men don't). This takes the form of a 68 Gallium PSMA scan. There are very few hospitals in the UK presently doing this scan and a man would be very lucky indeed to have it on the NHS. The cost varies between about £2,200 and over £3,000 in the UK depending on the hospital for this scan privately. The centre where I had this done were charging £2,400.and this was for diagnosis reasons in my case. Replacing the Gallium 68 with Lu177 as a way of treatment would be many times more expensive than this over several sessions.. There is also is similar treatment using a another ligand.

There is a thread I started here which may be of interest. https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t13262-Lutetium-177---PSMA-Treatment

Should anybody find more about this or if what the recent Express article involves in more detail, please post. We are always interested in advances that are taking place.

Edited by member 25 Jun 2018 at 18:05  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 25 Jun 2018 at 12:10
Sounds like a real breakthrough given the encouraging results. I think it's certainly worth asking about trials and how likely it is that you could be put forward - nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Andrew

User
Posted 25 Jun 2018 at 17:42

Ian, yes as usual the popular press exaggerate to make the story more appealing. This is a report of an early limited trial for a specific subset of patients. It may be many months, even years, before it has general application. But by all means talk to your oncologist about it and other options. You may not be on the optimum treatment path.

Good Luck

AC

Edited by member 26 Jun 2018 at 18:10  | Reason: Typos removed!

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 Jun 2018 at 12:10
Sounds like a real breakthrough given the encouraging results. I think it's certainly worth asking about trials and how likely it is that you could be put forward - nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Andrew

User
Posted 25 Jun 2018 at 17:42

Ian, yes as usual the popular press exaggerate to make the story more appealing. This is a report of an early limited trial for a specific subset of patients. It may be many months, even years, before it has general application. But by all means talk to your oncologist about it and other options. You may not be on the optimum treatment path.

Good Luck

AC

Edited by member 26 Jun 2018 at 18:10  | Reason: Typos removed!

User
Posted 25 Jun 2018 at 18:00

The information given in the article is short on detail and long on optimism. It sounds similar if not the same as Lu177 being administered which binds to PSMA. One of our members investigated this and was due to have it abroad. This is extremely expensive. Because of this it is a prerequiste that a man has suitable PSMA (about 10% of men don't). This takes the form of a 68 Gallium PSMA scan. There are very few hospitals in the UK presently doing this scan and a man would be very lucky indeed to have it on the NHS. The cost varies between about £2,200 and over £3,000 in the UK depending on the hospital for this scan privately. The centre where I had this done were charging £2,400.and this was for diagnosis reasons in my case. Replacing the Gallium 68 with Lu177 as a way of treatment would be many times more expensive than this over several sessions.. There is also is similar treatment using a another ligand.

There is a thread I started here which may be of interest. https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t13262-Lutetium-177---PSMA-Treatment

Should anybody find more about this or if what the recent Express article involves in more detail, please post. We are always interested in advances that are taking place.

Edited by member 25 Jun 2018 at 18:05  | Reason: Not specified

Barry