Show search

Notification

Error

Wreckless behaviour..?

User
Posted 25 Jun 2018 at 13:43

Hi All

I'm kinda after a show of hands...

My other half is currently 8 weeks into HT and is experiencing the emotional roller coaster.

Apart from the hot flushes and crying he has become very suspicious and says I'm hiding stuff from him. Is this part of the emotional side affects..?

He also revealed to me that he has started taking chances when in the car on his own... thrill seeking or just 'I don't care attitude'.

Anyone else experienced these feelings..?

I feel helpless and all the reassurances don't seem to help him.

Prior to PC he was extremely rational and methodical.

Not really after any solutions just be nice to know if it's par for the course....

Thanks

D

User
Posted 25 Jun 2018 at 14:09

I haven’t started ( and may not bother ) with HT. However I’m 3 yrs post surgery and it’s been both good and terrible at the same time. Huge roller coaster for sure. I was utterly distraught at losing erectile function and it took more than 2 yrs to recover to near normal. I was terrified to the core my wife would be dissatisfied and seek it elsewhere. Maybe irrational but many a marriage has been wrecked by this disease for sure. Now I’m recovered but classed as incurable I want to use it all day every day as I missed it so much. That has brought a new set of problems in itself .....
I would suspect your hubby is devastated at what’s happening to him and his total change in feelings and emotions. He may look at you and feel nothing sexually at all which may be leading to him pushing you away and accusing you of stuff. Not a nice place to be at all and I feel resolute at it not happening to me again. I can’t and won’t live as a monk at 51.
Try lots of talking , extra reassurance and maybe counselling which I find mega useful.

Edited by member 25 Jun 2018 at 14:10  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Jun 2018 at 14:59
Hi Deb,

Men on HT can experience a range of side effects whist on HT and to varying degrees. What you describe is one of them and I agree with Chris that councselling might prove helpful. It is indeed very worrying if your OH is among other things taking chances whilst driving and this must change one way or the other forthwith for obvious reasons even if it means your taking control of the car keys.

Apart from knowing your OH is quite young for a PCa diagnosis, we know nothing about his diagnosis and treatment plan. It could be that with appropriate treatment he could live many years and there are possible ways of combatting ED which is a major concern for men.

If you can obtain and post more information about his diagnosis and background information we can perhaps offer more thoughts.

Barry
User
Posted 30 Jun 2018 at 12:56

I definitely got the emotional slightly weepy thing with my HT although it didn't last long. The risk taking? Just speculating here, and you will know your OH better than any of us, there is often an understandable desire to cram things/experiences in when you have any kind of cancer diagnosis. In short it's an unwelcome reminder of your mortality even if reality may be that you have many years ahead of you.

Taking chances when driving is worrying though and I agree with Old Barry's point here. You need to try to talk him out of this.

User
Posted 30 Jun 2018 at 16:21

When I was first diagnosed November 2014 I spent most of the next two months thinking what’s the point, not caring sometimes about stuff then tiny things became important. I wanted to sort out all my affairs, I used to lie in bed thinking about the letters I would write to my teenage kids, about what I wanted to wear in the coffin and what music I wanted at my funeral. On more than one occasion when driv8ng I thought “ what if I turn the wheel now and hit that tree or wall”, would anyone care?

of course I never did anything so bad although I do remember driving my car through the streets like I was on a rally, very irresponsible in hindsight but I was stuck in a selfish let’s beat the cancer death by taking control of my death. I did see a councillor a few times but it did not work for me.

then I started chemo and the next day I started running. It gave me purpose, something to challenge myself, something to look forward to, a time to clear my head, a reason to read about running , diet, trainers, races etc. I have never looked back since.

i guess what I am saying is that in my humble opinion it’s normal and expected to have “who cares” thoughts, if they go on too long then help may be needed. I managed to dig my way out myself. Ok, I run and I am frequently told on this site that others can’t but they miss the point. Others may like to play guitar, do an ou degree, plant something in their garden, paint, learn French, basket weaving, I don’t know but and this is the important thing, find something that floats your boat that has a now, tomorrow and medium purpose/ end game and then no matter what the treatment or prognosis there is always space to make a day better. 

The other big change in my behaviour was to start raising money and volunteering for Pcuk. Initially because I used this site and wanted to give back, now it’s about finding a  enter test so my teenage boys won’t have to worry about pc being a killer when they are 40 and trying to raise awareness by doing lots I& public speaking so other families may not go through wha5 mine and yours are now. The charity stuff gives me an enormous sense of purpose and doing good. The people at the charity are without exception lovely and if you feel unable to help do you have a relative, friend, colleague who may be able to help/raise funds instead as you can bask in their glory!

two weeks ago I walked 7 marathons in 7 days. 130 colleagues from RBS joined a day each, the awareness raised was immense and they raised about £80k, I am humbled by their effort and bask in their glory. All these things can help any family with pca create a sense of worth.

I bought an electric guitar, I can’t play, never had but it sits there waiting for the day I can’t run and that will be my next short term project, it’s sat there for 3 years now.

hope that helps, I am still running, raising money, awareness and loving life With T4n1m1a Gleason 9 nearly 4 years on, never give up.

kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 30 Jun 2018 at 18:36

HI

Just contributing to the 'show of hands'.

I am probably much older than your OH and so my experience is probably less relevant to you. I have been on HT for 12 months so far but having experienced side effects from surgery and salvage RT the only extra effect from HT has been hot flushes which to me are not a problem.

I love life and crack on regardless but I can imagine that for a much younger man it could feel pretty devastating.

I agree with the others that it would be good if he could talk to a counsellor about his feelings before he does something he regrets.

I so hope that these feelings will pass and that he will be able to accept that he can still enjoy life.

Kevan 

User
Posted 30 Jun 2018 at 20:17
Plus 10 years no driving. As I've done so well on the survival front to-date looking back the dark days were nonsense. Due in my case to HT lack of concentration and thoughts expressed above the decision made was hurting me is ok but hurting or killing someone through my fault would have been far worse than living with cancer. It's been a constant tussle of drive again against memories of what I felt. So yes get it sorted as it might not sort itself.

Ray

User
Posted 05 Jul 2018 at 13:43

I'm in middle of 6 months of HT and 33 sessions of salvage RT.

Not sure about the wreckless behaviour.

But can relate to the feeling emotional and weepy.

I did have another form of cancer when I was in my mid twenties, which was cured by chemotherapy.

So being told I had PCa wasn't such a shock as I had had a similar conversation nearly 40 years ago.

I think we all have our ups and downs but the treatments for PCa are such that it is now more common for men to live with  rather die from the disease.

This is not underestimating the trials a tribulations that treatment and waiting between tests but ultimately for most men it is something that can be cured or managed.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 Jun 2018 at 14:09

I haven’t started ( and may not bother ) with HT. However I’m 3 yrs post surgery and it’s been both good and terrible at the same time. Huge roller coaster for sure. I was utterly distraught at losing erectile function and it took more than 2 yrs to recover to near normal. I was terrified to the core my wife would be dissatisfied and seek it elsewhere. Maybe irrational but many a marriage has been wrecked by this disease for sure. Now I’m recovered but classed as incurable I want to use it all day every day as I missed it so much. That has brought a new set of problems in itself .....
I would suspect your hubby is devastated at what’s happening to him and his total change in feelings and emotions. He may look at you and feel nothing sexually at all which may be leading to him pushing you away and accusing you of stuff. Not a nice place to be at all and I feel resolute at it not happening to me again. I can’t and won’t live as a monk at 51.
Try lots of talking , extra reassurance and maybe counselling which I find mega useful.

Edited by member 25 Jun 2018 at 14:10  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Jun 2018 at 14:59
Hi Deb,

Men on HT can experience a range of side effects whist on HT and to varying degrees. What you describe is one of them and I agree with Chris that councselling might prove helpful. It is indeed very worrying if your OH is among other things taking chances whilst driving and this must change one way or the other forthwith for obvious reasons even if it means your taking control of the car keys.

Apart from knowing your OH is quite young for a PCa diagnosis, we know nothing about his diagnosis and treatment plan. It could be that with appropriate treatment he could live many years and there are possible ways of combatting ED which is a major concern for men.

If you can obtain and post more information about his diagnosis and background information we can perhaps offer more thoughts.

Barry
User
Posted 30 Jun 2018 at 12:56

I definitely got the emotional slightly weepy thing with my HT although it didn't last long. The risk taking? Just speculating here, and you will know your OH better than any of us, there is often an understandable desire to cram things/experiences in when you have any kind of cancer diagnosis. In short it's an unwelcome reminder of your mortality even if reality may be that you have many years ahead of you.

Taking chances when driving is worrying though and I agree with Old Barry's point here. You need to try to talk him out of this.

User
Posted 30 Jun 2018 at 16:21

When I was first diagnosed November 2014 I spent most of the next two months thinking what’s the point, not caring sometimes about stuff then tiny things became important. I wanted to sort out all my affairs, I used to lie in bed thinking about the letters I would write to my teenage kids, about what I wanted to wear in the coffin and what music I wanted at my funeral. On more than one occasion when driv8ng I thought “ what if I turn the wheel now and hit that tree or wall”, would anyone care?

of course I never did anything so bad although I do remember driving my car through the streets like I was on a rally, very irresponsible in hindsight but I was stuck in a selfish let’s beat the cancer death by taking control of my death. I did see a councillor a few times but it did not work for me.

then I started chemo and the next day I started running. It gave me purpose, something to challenge myself, something to look forward to, a time to clear my head, a reason to read about running , diet, trainers, races etc. I have never looked back since.

i guess what I am saying is that in my humble opinion it’s normal and expected to have “who cares” thoughts, if they go on too long then help may be needed. I managed to dig my way out myself. Ok, I run and I am frequently told on this site that others can’t but they miss the point. Others may like to play guitar, do an ou degree, plant something in their garden, paint, learn French, basket weaving, I don’t know but and this is the important thing, find something that floats your boat that has a now, tomorrow and medium purpose/ end game and then no matter what the treatment or prognosis there is always space to make a day better. 

The other big change in my behaviour was to start raising money and volunteering for Pcuk. Initially because I used this site and wanted to give back, now it’s about finding a  enter test so my teenage boys won’t have to worry about pc being a killer when they are 40 and trying to raise awareness by doing lots I& public speaking so other families may not go through wha5 mine and yours are now. The charity stuff gives me an enormous sense of purpose and doing good. The people at the charity are without exception lovely and if you feel unable to help do you have a relative, friend, colleague who may be able to help/raise funds instead as you can bask in their glory!

two weeks ago I walked 7 marathons in 7 days. 130 colleagues from RBS joined a day each, the awareness raised was immense and they raised about £80k, I am humbled by their effort and bask in their glory. All these things can help any family with pca create a sense of worth.

I bought an electric guitar, I can’t play, never had but it sits there waiting for the day I can’t run and that will be my next short term project, it’s sat there for 3 years now.

hope that helps, I am still running, raising money, awareness and loving life With T4n1m1a Gleason 9 nearly 4 years on, never give up.

kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 30 Jun 2018 at 18:36

HI

Just contributing to the 'show of hands'.

I am probably much older than your OH and so my experience is probably less relevant to you. I have been on HT for 12 months so far but having experienced side effects from surgery and salvage RT the only extra effect from HT has been hot flushes which to me are not a problem.

I love life and crack on regardless but I can imagine that for a much younger man it could feel pretty devastating.

I agree with the others that it would be good if he could talk to a counsellor about his feelings before he does something he regrets.

I so hope that these feelings will pass and that he will be able to accept that he can still enjoy life.

Kevan 

User
Posted 30 Jun 2018 at 20:17
Plus 10 years no driving. As I've done so well on the survival front to-date looking back the dark days were nonsense. Due in my case to HT lack of concentration and thoughts expressed above the decision made was hurting me is ok but hurting or killing someone through my fault would have been far worse than living with cancer. It's been a constant tussle of drive again against memories of what I felt. So yes get it sorted as it might not sort itself.

Ray

User
Posted 05 Jul 2018 at 13:43

I'm in middle of 6 months of HT and 33 sessions of salvage RT.

Not sure about the wreckless behaviour.

But can relate to the feeling emotional and weepy.

I did have another form of cancer when I was in my mid twenties, which was cured by chemotherapy.

So being told I had PCa wasn't such a shock as I had had a similar conversation nearly 40 years ago.

I think we all have our ups and downs but the treatments for PCa are such that it is now more common for men to live with  rather die from the disease.

This is not underestimating the trials a tribulations that treatment and waiting between tests but ultimately for most men it is something that can be cured or managed.