I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Rise in PSA with Docetaxel

User
Posted 30 Jun 2018 at 08:14

My OH has received his fifth session of Docetaxel and his PSA has been 2.5, 2.2 and 3.0 from the last three session. With the first infusion his level dropped from 14.0 to 3.6 and we were encouraged.

But, this past few weeks has been disappointing to say the least. Has anyone experienced a similar pattern? 

His oncologist has said that she will review after the seventh, is this normal anyone who has had Docetaxel? 

User
Posted 07 Sep 2018 at 18:12
So glad to hear that news

Barry

User
Posted 30 Aug 2018 at 18:05
Hi blue,

it's hard to know what to say but I think you perhaps need to ask the onco whether this is the beginning of the end rather than a side effect of chemo.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 30 Jun 2018 at 13:48
Bluetrew, asking about "normal" with PCa is unwise. There is so much variation between individuals in their response to chemo. Your oncologist is on the ball, having reduced the dosage, because of the toxicity. Your OH may have gone as far as he can with docetaxel. It may be that the lower dosage will work better for him. The sort of variations you have reported don't seem unusual to me. The chemo has worked, the question is, will it continue to work on the lower dosage? Only time will tell. Meantime it is providing a measure of control. Stick with it and trust your oncologist.

Good luck.

AC

User
Posted 30 Aug 2018 at 17:18

After his sixth infusion my husband’s oncologist has called a halt. His PSA hasn’t reduced but had increased. His neuropathy has worsened. 

But, heres the thing, since stopping end of July he has been worse, vomiting diarrhoea, lack of appetite and general malaise. I had rather hoped that he would recoup after chemotherapy.

he was admitted to hospital for a couple of days thanks to a quick phone call to acute oncology but since being home for a week he has really suffered.he will be seeing his doctor tomorrow and his oncologist has moved her consultation for an earlier time once he has his scans done.

my question is that has anyone experienced increased symptoms after chemotherapy? 

User
Posted 30 Aug 2018 at 18:05
Hi blue,

it's hard to know what to say but I think you perhaps need to ask the onco whether this is the beginning of the end rather than a side effect of chemo.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Sep 2018 at 17:50

Saw his oncologist today, she came to his bedside in hos, it turns out that it’s not the beginning of the end, in fact his tumours have reduced as also his lymph nodes but he is very weak and we need to get to the bottom of his bouts of upset digestion so onwards and upwards.

just need to organise a support team to visit home and put things in place.

User
Posted 07 Sep 2018 at 18:12
So glad to hear that news

Barry

User
Posted 21 Sep 2018 at 13:05
BEST WISHES FOR YOU bluetrew.......