Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Robotic surgery for T2C but cancer cells found on bladder neck

User
Posted 06 Jul 2018 at 09:09

Hi everyone

My Dad recently had surgery to remove his prostate after being diagnosed with T2C cancer. Just before he went into surgery, after going through the MrI scans again they thought it could be T3a but couldn’t be sure until after they had sent samples off for testing.

3 weeks after surgery my dad gets a call to say it was T2c and the prostate cancer was contained and removed, but they found cancer cells on his bladder neck that they couldn’t remove, so he may need radiotherapy to get rid of this.

I think at this stage my dad was quite shocked so didn’t ask any further questions. We’re trying to get through to the consultants again so they can elaborate on this but no luck so far.

I was wondering whether anyone else has been through the same thing? We’re unsure whether this means they’ve found another cancer (maybe bladder cancer?) or whether despite them saying it was contained whether it did break through?

It’s such a set back as my dad was doing so well recovering after surgery and just started getting his confidence back but now we’re concerned about the next steps and what this means.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks

User
Posted 06 Jul 2018 at 16:10
What you quote suggests that part of the original tumour was inaccessible to surgery. Very unlikely to be bladder cancer, but only a biopsy would show for sure.

AC

User
Posted 06 Jul 2018 at 20:43
Hi, my husband had surgery and the surgeon realised that it had spread to the bottom of his bladder so they removed the bladder neck and created a new join. He had salvage RT 2 years later and that seems to have done the trick - 6 years on, his PSA is still at or around 0.1 and prostate cancer seems like something that happened a long time ago. The surgeon will probably refer your dad to see an oncologist to discuss whether or not to have RT.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Jul 2018 at 16:10
What you quote suggests that part of the original tumour was inaccessible to surgery. Very unlikely to be bladder cancer, but only a biopsy would show for sure.

AC

User
Posted 06 Jul 2018 at 20:43
Hi, my husband had surgery and the surgeon realised that it had spread to the bottom of his bladder so they removed the bladder neck and created a new join. He had salvage RT 2 years later and that seems to have done the trick - 6 years on, his PSA is still at or around 0.1 and prostate cancer seems like something that happened a long time ago. The surgeon will probably refer your dad to see an oncologist to discuss whether or not to have RT.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Jul 2018 at 16:15
Hello.

Tis interesting - I was t3b, had the RP but found cancer cells still in the bladder neck. Positive margins, but I don't know to what extent. I went straight on to Bicalutamide, then a month later big doses of RT to prostate bed and lymph node area. My 6 month and 12 month PSA reading post RT was <0.003, but then that was held down by the HT.

Lyn, I am now intrigued by your husbands PSA of +/- 0.1. Do you reckon (assuming they've killed my cancer) that would be a realistic target for me? I know I have to keep an eye out for increases and doubling times, but if it remains level, what reading could I expect? I realise this may be hard to answer!