Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error
12>

My new thread stage 4 bone mets operation

User
Posted 16 Jul 2018 at 10:33

Dear All, Is it possible surgery of prostate ( removal of prostate glands)can be done in stage 4 Bone metastasis prostate cancer And vasectomy operation for 0% testosterone level instead of taking zolodex 

Edited by member 16 Jul 2018 at 10:42  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Jul 2018 at 10:33

Dear All, Is it possible surgery of prostate ( removal of prostate glands)can be done in stage 4 Bone metastasis prostate cancer And vasectomy operation for 0% testosterone level instead of taking zolodex 

Edited by member 16 Jul 2018 at 10:42  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Jul 2018 at 12:10
No. Removal of the prostate is a difficult operation with unpleasant side effects so would not normally be done where the cancer has already spread. It could also speed up the spread.

In Asia and Africa, it is more common than in the UK to see men having their testicles removed instead of taking hormones but this is sometimes linked to cost - not everyone can afford to pay for hormone treatment. Vasectomy only cuts the tubes between the testicles and the prostate and would not stop production of testosterone.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Jul 2018 at 19:34
No it isn't a side effect of zoladex - it seems to be a side effect of your dad's chemo although in England he would probably be hospitalised with such a high temperature.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Jul 2018 at 21:13
I think there was some confusion by the OP between vasectomy and orchiectomy, the latter being removal of testicles which usually also means the removal of the entire spermatic cord.
Barry
User
Posted 17 Jul 2018 at 15:16
Can you ask the hospital for some medicine to control the nausea? They should provide this.
User
Posted 17 Jul 2018 at 15:53

In India it maybe different but generally when a patient is given chemotherapy he usually is given anti nausea drugs at the same time to take home. My husband was given metoclopramide 10mg to take three times a day for three days after and also to take if he felt nauseous. He also takes steroids prednisone twice a day for 21 days after.

in preparation for chemotherapy, he takes dexamethasone 2mg , four tablets twelve, four and one hour before infusion and also an anti sickness immediately before infusion. 

I gues it would be worth speaking to the hospital as to whether this would be useful for your father .

Hope that helps

User
Posted 18 Jul 2018 at 15:46
Bose, I cannot console you. With PCa, the only rule is that there are no rules. It is an unpredictable disease. We take medication on the probability that it will work. Sometimes it doesn't. We hope that chemo will prevent the spread of the disease but sometimes it does not. None of us can predict success, merely hope for it. We take the best advice our physicians have to offer. I hope for the best with your Dad's treatment, but as you know, his is an advanced case and you must be ready for setbacks as well as succsses. I hope there will be plenty of the latter.

Good Luck

AC

User
Posted 22 Jul 2018 at 16:48
It is the combination of chemo and hormone treatment that can reduce PSA to a low level, and I think you said before that it’s doing so for your father. It’s impossible to say how long this will last but it could be months or even years. Every patient is different.
User
Posted 25 Jul 2018 at 13:37
The operation, called an orchiectomy, will keep his testosterone very low without the need for more injections. Whether it will keep the PSA low depends on his remaining hormone sensitive. Eventually nearly all men will progress to ‘castration resistance’ at which stage PSA will start to rise and more drugs will be needed.

Good luck!

User
Posted 27 Jul 2018 at 11:57
Best practice for late stage diagnosis and if the person is well enough is to have Chemo and hormone treatment simultaneously. Chemo is relatively short duration and hormone therapy is normally for life (hence orchidectomy is an option instead of hormone therapy).

Life expectancy in PC is notiriously difficult to predict ( so don't try!). there are folks on here with late stage diagnosis who live for years and years (more than 10). Others sadly die within weeks of diagnosis.

Do what you are doing: keep informed and never give up!!

User
Posted 30 Jul 2018 at 13:52
Yes - kidney failure can be a side effect of some chemotherapies including docetaxel which is why they will monitor your dad’s blood tests very carefully

User
Posted 03 Aug 2018 at 21:02
Bose, the operative word in your question is "can". "Will" is not true. There is nothing certain about PCa treatment, particularly of advanced cancer. You must temper hope with realism. And hope for

Good Luck.

AC

User
Posted 08 Aug 2018 at 20:19
Only if the man's quality of life is otherwise very good and his cancer is under control. Serious MSCC damage is often permanent.

User
Posted 13 Aug 2018 at 18:33
No
User
Posted 15 Aug 2018 at 10:52
Macmillan Cancer Support's website says "Malignant spinal cord compression (MSCC) happens when cancer grows in or near the spine and presses on the spinal cord and nerves". It also gives some of the possible symptoms. My oncologist told me that if it should happen, it can retreated with surgery or radiotherapy.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 Jul 2018 at 12:10
No. Removal of the prostate is a difficult operation with unpleasant side effects so would not normally be done where the cancer has already spread. It could also speed up the spread.

In Asia and Africa, it is more common than in the UK to see men having their testicles removed instead of taking hormones but this is sometimes linked to cost - not everyone can afford to pay for hormone treatment. Vasectomy only cuts the tubes between the testicles and the prostate and would not stop production of testosterone.

User
Posted 16 Jul 2018 at 12:18
Dear LynEyre, it mean's that there is no link between hormone therapy and vasectomy operation. If some is not able to afford hormone therapy what will be the next option operation is for lifetime you have to pay only one time instead of paying monthly for hormone injections there is no other option pls tell
User
Posted 16 Jul 2018 at 15:31
If someone with advanced cancer can't afford the hormone treatments they may be offered testicle removal (castration)

Vasectomy has nothing to do with cancer or testosterone; it just stops sperm getting out.

User
Posted 16 Jul 2018 at 15:55
Thank u LyneEyre 😊
User
Posted 16 Jul 2018 at 18:54
Dear All , My father is done with 4th chemo from day 1 to 16 feverish type feeling body temperature was 100.4 , 100,99 when we give medicine temprature goes down and then 100.4 ,100 when I asked from Oncologist he said fever come due to increase in white blood cell I think its zolodax sideeffect.
User
Posted 16 Jul 2018 at 19:34
No it isn't a side effect of zoladex - it seems to be a side effect of your dad's chemo although in England he would probably be hospitalised with such a high temperature.

User
Posted 16 Jul 2018 at 21:13
I think there was some confusion by the OP between vasectomy and orchiectomy, the latter being removal of testicles which usually also means the removal of the entire spermatic cord.
Barry
User
Posted 17 Jul 2018 at 12:59
DEAR ALL,

AFTER 4 TH CHEMO + ZOLODAX INJECTION HE IS FEELING LIKE NAUSEA AND VOMITING WHEN HE IS TRYING TO EAT FOOD. FOOD COMES UP AND FEEL LIKE VOMIT HE IS UNABLE TO TAKE SOLID FOOD PLS HELP

User
Posted 17 Jul 2018 at 15:16
Can you ask the hospital for some medicine to control the nausea? They should provide this.
User
Posted 17 Jul 2018 at 15:53

In India it maybe different but generally when a patient is given chemotherapy he usually is given anti nausea drugs at the same time to take home. My husband was given metoclopramide 10mg to take three times a day for three days after and also to take if he felt nauseous. He also takes steroids prednisone twice a day for 21 days after.

in preparation for chemotherapy, he takes dexamethasone 2mg , four tablets twelve, four and one hour before infusion and also an anti sickness immediately before infusion. 

I gues it would be worth speaking to the hospital as to whether this would be useful for your father .

Hope that helps

User
Posted 18 Jul 2018 at 03:47
Thanks Bluetrew I will consult to my father Oncologist.....
User
Posted 18 Jul 2018 at 12:07

Dear All , some one can tell me during chemotherapy or after chemotherapy is there is any chances of spread cancer to other organs for example :-someone having cancer in spine while chemotherapy is there is any chance of spreading cancer to another location like organs or else chemo slow the process of cancer spreading.

Edited by member 18 Jul 2018 at 15:09  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Jul 2018 at 15:46
Bose, I cannot console you. With PCa, the only rule is that there are no rules. It is an unpredictable disease. We take medication on the probability that it will work. Sometimes it doesn't. We hope that chemo will prevent the spread of the disease but sometimes it does not. None of us can predict success, merely hope for it. We take the best advice our physicians have to offer. I hope for the best with your Dad's treatment, but as you know, his is an advanced case and you must be ready for setbacks as well as succsses. I hope there will be plenty of the latter.

Good Luck

AC

User
Posted 18 Jul 2018 at 17:55
Thanks for your reply 😊
User
Posted 21 Jul 2018 at 16:51
Dear All , Docetaxel help to shrink tumour I read in this post after 6 chemo tumour remain same there is no improvement is it possible sometimes chemo is not affected or chemo help to extend life only for months . It is very hard to deal with chemo . If psa is rising chemo is the only option pls tell
User
Posted 21 Jul 2018 at 17:10
If you believe chemo has failed - see my previous post - you must or rather your father must speak to his oncologist about other options which may be available in his country.

AC

User
Posted 21 Jul 2018 at 17:33
Dear Auldcoder Hats off to u I read your post I am not talking about my father By god grace my father diagnose with psa 640 after 4th chemo+ zolodex injection psa down to 5 Generaly asking about chemo My Father Oncologist told there is 80% chances that chemo shrink tumour
User
Posted 22 Jul 2018 at 16:36
Dear All, Any one can just tell me chemo is the only option to help psa down And my question is chemo help to psa down for how many month and years pls tell

User
Posted 22 Jul 2018 at 16:48
It is the combination of chemo and hormone treatment that can reduce PSA to a low level, and I think you said before that it’s doing so for your father. It’s impossible to say how long this will last but it could be months or even years. Every patient is different.
User
Posted 22 Jul 2018 at 17:22
Thanks For your reply Dark warrior
User
Posted 25 Jul 2018 at 12:39

Dear All , removal of testis is a permanent solution for psa down instead of taking hormone injections like zolodax

Edited by member 25 Jul 2018 at 12:44  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Jul 2018 at 13:37
The operation, called an orchiectomy, will keep his testosterone very low without the need for more injections. Whether it will keep the PSA low depends on his remaining hormone sensitive. Eventually nearly all men will progress to ‘castration resistance’ at which stage PSA will start to rise and more drugs will be needed.

Good luck!

User
Posted 25 Jul 2018 at 16:44
Thanks Bluetrew for your valuable feedback 😊
User
Posted 27 Jul 2018 at 07:27

Dear All , Chemotherapy is for life long in advance prostate cancer spine metastasis after 1 or 2 year again chemo and chemo there is very hard to deal with chemo there is any other way we can take only medicines for life long for suppressing the cancer cells.

Edited by member 27 Jul 2018 at 09:22  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Jul 2018 at 10:45
No, chemo is not a lifelong treatment. In the UK men would have 6 or 10 sessions and then that would be it. There are exceptions where a man might have chemo again a few years later but this is very rare.

The chemo will damage the cancer cells so that the hormones work more effectively for longer. But the science suggests that it will only add a few months to his life so if he is struggling with side effects he might decide it isn’t worth it. If he stops having chemo he can still have the hormone treatment.

User
Posted 27 Jul 2018 at 11:14

Thank u so much 😌 Sideeffect doesn't mean that chemo is working or not but when I google life expectancy is only  3 years is it true and zolodax is only hormone therapy and a person can spend his normal life with treatments pls answer

Edited by member 27 Jul 2018 at 11:42  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Jul 2018 at 11:57
Best practice for late stage diagnosis and if the person is well enough is to have Chemo and hormone treatment simultaneously. Chemo is relatively short duration and hormone therapy is normally for life (hence orchidectomy is an option instead of hormone therapy).

Life expectancy in PC is notiriously difficult to predict ( so don't try!). there are folks on here with late stage diagnosis who live for years and years (more than 10). Others sadly die within weeks of diagnosis.

Do what you are doing: keep informed and never give up!!

User
Posted 27 Jul 2018 at 12:59
Thanks for your reply Francij😊
User
Posted 30 Jul 2018 at 13:01
DEAR ALL, MY QUESTION IS THIS CHEMOTHERAPY AND CANCER MEDICINE AFFECT ON KIDNEY THERE IS ANY DAMAGE IN KIDNEY IN NEARBY FUTURE LIKE KIDNEY FAILURE .

THANKS & REGARDS

bose

User
Posted 30 Jul 2018 at 13:52
Yes - kidney failure can be a side effect of some chemotherapies including docetaxel which is why they will monitor your dad’s blood tests very carefully

User
Posted 30 Jul 2018 at 15:59

Thanks LyneEyre can u tell me one thing fever after chemotherapy is normal but normally fever comes from infection and increase in white blood cell but some one told me repetitive fever come due to growth of tumour again is it true

Edited by member 30 Jul 2018 at 16:01  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Jul 2018 at 17:45
No repeated fever after chemo does not indicate tumour growth.

I would dispute your statement that high temperature after chemo is normal - that seems to be what your dad’s doctors have told you but in England it would not be okay

User
Posted 03 Aug 2018 at 16:45

Thanks LynEyre for your reply Dear All as we know that in stage 4 MSCC is not curable but a person can spend normal life and doing physical active going office etc . Pls reply

Edited by member 03 Aug 2018 at 16:46  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Aug 2018 at 21:02
Bose, the operative word in your question is "can". "Will" is not true. There is nothing certain about PCa treatment, particularly of advanced cancer. You must temper hope with realism. And hope for

Good Luck.

AC

User
Posted 08 Aug 2018 at 16:57
Dear All, I know advance prostate is incurable but mscc can be cured and spine can be repair by bone cementing
User
Posted 08 Aug 2018 at 20:19
Only if the man's quality of life is otherwise very good and his cancer is under control. Serious MSCC damage is often permanent.

User
Posted 10 Aug 2018 at 17:08
Dear LynEyre Mscc can be treated ? before treatment my father is unable to walk after taking painkillers he gain his Mobility . when painkiller effect is low then again pain was started but my query is after treatment can he gain his Mobility and again spend his normal life.
User
Posted 12 Aug 2018 at 06:23

Dear All , my father is diagnosed with mscc now pain is goan after radiation therapy and chemotherapy. 6 cycle of chemo is done now it's time for pet scan after pet scan I will give you update but my query is mscc pain relief is temporary or it's permanent pls help me

Edited by member 12 Aug 2018 at 06:25  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Aug 2018 at 18:19
Dear All can chemo can spread cancer to other part of body like organs
User
Posted 13 Aug 2018 at 18:33
No
User
Posted 13 Aug 2018 at 18:48

Thanks for your reply 😊

User
Posted 13 Aug 2018 at 22:43

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Dear All , my father is diagnosed with mscc now pain is goan after radiation therapy and chemotherapy. 6 cycle of chemo is done now it's time for pet scan after pet scan I will give you update but my query is mscc pain relief is temporary or it's permanent pls help me

Tou should try to sop confusing SCC with pain from bone mets. SCC cannot be cured by chemo. Bone pain can be reduced by chemo or it can make it worse. 

SCC can stop someone from ever walking again or it can cause the bowel to stop working. It doesn't come and go. It is a medical emergency. 

Bone pain can come and go and be better some days than others.

Whatever has stopped your dad's pain is likely to be temporary unless it is SCC that is making him numb in which case he is very ill. 

Edited by member 14 Aug 2018 at 01:04  | Reason: Tempered down

User
Posted 15 Aug 2018 at 02:23

Dear LynEyre, Scc means that there is tumour in spine which can press nerves that can cause pain and change in bowel habit if tumour can shrink there is no spinal cord compression and pain will automatically Goan isn't it .....and one thing more docetaxel 170 mg dose gave to my father it's very heavy dose

Edited by member 15 Aug 2018 at 06:57  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Aug 2018 at 09:42
No that is not what SCC means. What you are describing is just spinal mets and yes, bone mets cause pain.

SCC is more than that and chemo can’t cure SCC

User
Posted 15 Aug 2018 at 10:15

Thanks LynEyre i saw image there is lot of cancer cells pressing spine what it is mean that ????? Can u pls diffrentiate means mscc and bone mets can I send my father reports

Edited by member 15 Aug 2018 at 10:25  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Aug 2018 at 10:52
Macmillan Cancer Support's website says "Malignant spinal cord compression (MSCC) happens when cancer grows in or near the spine and presses on the spinal cord and nerves". It also gives some of the possible symptoms. My oncologist told me that if it should happen, it can retreated with surgery or radiotherapy.
User
Posted 15 Aug 2018 at 10:59

After radiation and chemotherapy By god grace 90% relief  in back pain .PSMA  pet scan is pending after scanning we know the exact result about bones my query is relief in pain is permanent and controlled symptoms in nearby future

Edited by member 15 Aug 2018 at 11:05  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Aug 2018 at 13:32
No the pain relief is not permanent but if the cancer is well controlled then the pain can be managed

User
Posted 15 Aug 2018 at 13:38

Thnk u so much 😊 Cancer can be controlled by taking healthy diets and proper medicines and can u pls tell me docetaxel controlled cancer for how many years

Edited by member 15 Aug 2018 at 13:48  | Reason: Not specified