Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Changing dressings

User
Posted 18 Jul 2018 at 21:18

Hi All.

Hubby had robotic prostatectomy last Thursday.  He has the standard 6 "port" wounds, all with adhesive dressings.  The ward changed them before he was sent home last Friday morning, and gave us some spares in case any came loose.  They are all looking dry and no sign of anything "nasty" but all discoloured and dirty looking now.  Not due to have staples removed until next Thursday.  I would like to change them, give wounds a wipe with boiled water just to freshen them up, but he thinks there is no need.   Any advice please?

User
Posted 18 Jul 2018 at 23:07

Hi

The nurse removed all my dressings in hospital the day after my RP and sent me home.

I assumed even one day after surgery things looked to be ok.

Best Wishes Rich

User
Posted 20 Jul 2018 at 17:20
Hello Cornish Maid,

Don't have the necessary skill to answer you but perhaps if you ring one of the nurses on this site (although it may be too late for that as today is already Friday) or perhaps NHS Direct, or whatever its equivalent is now

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 20 Jul 2018 at 17:45
Hi

I had the same operation 3 weeks ago. My instructions were: I could shower straight away (which I did) but shouldn't need to change dressings; a district nurse would come and check the dressings in a few days. What actually happened was that when I went back to hospital to have my catheter removed 5 days after the operation, the nurse also took off all the dressings. The district nurse turned up on day 6 and checked that everything looked fine. I was given spare dressings by the hospital, but they weren't required.