I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Need help to understand my father diagnoses

User
Posted 24 Jul 2018 at 00:29

Please advice me my dad was diagnosed with T3a prostate cancer and Gleason scores 9. On June 20 th he had biopsy and MRI scan prior to diagnoses. PSA is 0.5. He has had no oncologist appointment and the first is August 22 nd he has started hormone therap. Is this s normal time frame or should I be concerned? Also my dad now thinks his diagnoses is not as bad as first thought if he’s not being seen until the end of August??

thanks Lisa

User
Posted 24 Jul 2018 at 08:32
Hi Lisa

T3a Gleason 9 is a serious cancer and needs to be addressed. It sounds like the docs have started treatment already (hormone therapy?) and this will effectively stop further progression while your father discusses his options with the onco. Actual treatment will depend on his age and general health but as a T3a he should have a choice of potentially curative treatments.

User
Posted 24 Jul 2018 at 11:29
T3 on its own does not indicate that curative treatment is likely - it will depend on whether he has any mets. Do you have the whole set of results which will be written as T3 N0 M0 or similar? If he is already on the hormones, there isn’t anything else that the oncologist would be doing at this stage - s/he probably wants to wait until later in August to see how well dad responds to the hormones. The fact that his PSA has dropped to 0.5 already is a good sign.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Jul 2018 at 08:32
Hi Lisa

T3a Gleason 9 is a serious cancer and needs to be addressed. It sounds like the docs have started treatment already (hormone therapy?) and this will effectively stop further progression while your father discusses his options with the onco. Actual treatment will depend on his age and general health but as a T3a he should have a choice of potentially curative treatments.

User
Posted 24 Jul 2018 at 11:29
T3 on its own does not indicate that curative treatment is likely - it will depend on whether he has any mets. Do you have the whole set of results which will be written as T3 N0 M0 or similar? If he is already on the hormones, there isn’t anything else that the oncologist would be doing at this stage - s/he probably wants to wait until later in August to see how well dad responds to the hormones. The fact that his PSA has dropped to 0.5 already is a good sign.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard