Show search

Notification

Error

Fatigue before treatment starts

User
Posted 24 Jul 2018 at 19:43

Hi,

I've just joined The community .

It was last December that I went to the GP with problems urinating. He did a PSA test and the result was 24. Since then I've had the MRI and the Biopsy and I have Gleason 7 (3+4) T2. The PSA is down to 11.8. Luckily it was prostatitis that drove me to the GP in the first place But that's clearing up now it seems. 

My options are RP or Brachytherapy and I'm favouring the latter, but more on that later in sure.

My question to the forum today is, would the cancer cause me to be more tired than normal? 

I realise it may be the stress of carrying the problem that's wearing me out but am I also dealing with the cancer making me tired or is the T2 so small it should not be affecting me at this stage.

I'm almost 57 and work full-time btw .

Many thanks

User
Posted 25 Jul 2018 at 19:42
Good for you. Glad you have been able to see past the wood burning fuel!!

The tag line is my grandson's from when he had inoperable cancer and somebody gave him a framed picture with these words on.

He had just taken up sailing as a 13 year old with the Ellen Mcarthur Cancer trust and sailing became his passion and what helped get him through gruelling treatment
We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 28 Jul 2018 at 17:44

> Would the cancer cause me to be more tired than normal? 

Simple answer: yes, because your body will be using energy to fight the malfunction...

The degree of tiredness varies, depending on the nature of the cancer and the health of the individual. So it may be almost imperceptible, or severe.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Jul 2018 at 20:36
Localised PCa is unlikely to display any symptoms at all - it's the treatment that makes you feel bad, not the cancer. It's probably the shock and stress of diagnosis that's making you feel tired. I'm a year younger than you and I went through a really tough time when I was recently diagnosed.

Chris
User
Posted 25 Jul 2018 at 05:46
Good morning SM and welcome to the site.

I agree with Chris in that it is unlikely to be the actual cancer causing your tiredness but the stress of dealing with the knowledge that you have it.

Has it affected your sleep pattern for instance. Are you lying there at night worrying about it or waking early, and then not being able to get back to sleep because it is on your mind?

Not dismissing in any way how you feel. It affects us all differently, I'm just trying to put a different slant on it.

Was Active Surveillance one of the options offered to you?

My husband had permanent seed brachytherapy about 4 years ago (although his PSA was lower than yours, his Gleason was 3+4=7).

This appears to have been successful as he has just been signed off into the care of our GP by the Royal London Hospital.

It is a very stressful time.
You constantly wonder where it is all going to end and whether the treatment you opt for is the best one for you.

It does, strangely, get a little easier to cope with once you have made a decision and treatment starts because that first uncertainty is behind you.

Try not to fret about it all (easy for me to say I know)

Best Wishes

Sandra

User
Posted 25 Jul 2018 at 07:20

Thanks for the reply Crisis. I Suspected as much, that the cancer was not to blame.

Still great to have this forum to throw things about.

Paul.

User
Posted 25 Jul 2018 at 07:41

Hi Sandra

Active surveillance was not offered. Consultant said radical prostatectomy was the best option but he set me up with a consultant radiation oncologist for a second opinion on Brachytherapy. I had that meeting this week and I feel the Brachytherapy is my preferred route.

My medics expect my PSA to settle at between 8 and 10 when my prostatitis clears. That score would be in line with my MRI and Biopsy.

The tiredness has been there for over a year, even before I was diagnosed, I sleep well and am not a worrier but quite pragmatic, in work and life.

I have chronic back trouble so, on reflection now that I'm writing, the tiredness is probably due to that. Funny how you often can't see the wood for the trees. This is a perfect example. Our ailments fighting for notice!

So thanks for the reply Sandra. I love your tag line.  Glad your man is doing well.

Paul.

User
Posted 25 Jul 2018 at 19:42
Good for you. Glad you have been able to see past the wood burning fuel!!

The tag line is my grandson's from when he had inoperable cancer and somebody gave him a framed picture with these words on.

He had just taken up sailing as a 13 year old with the Ellen Mcarthur Cancer trust and sailing became his passion and what helped get him through gruelling treatment
User
Posted 28 Jul 2018 at 17:44

> Would the cancer cause me to be more tired than normal? 

Simple answer: yes, because your body will be using energy to fight the malfunction...

The degree of tiredness varies, depending on the nature of the cancer and the health of the individual. So it may be almost imperceptible, or severe.