I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

End of Docetaxel

User
Posted 10 Aug 2018 at 10:31

After six sessions of Docetaxel my husband’s oncologist decided to call it a day.

He experienced neuropathy and general fatigue plus his PSA was rising fairly rapidly from 3.9 to 8.7 within three week.

So new high contrast scans and bone scans the we meet up in six weeks to discuss the way forward. 

Live no idea what happens next , she did mention abiraterone but then he had a horrendous reaction to enzalutamide but we’ll see 

User
Posted 10 Aug 2018 at 13:17

Sorry to read this Bluetrew. Hopefully once the scans are done you will have a clearer picture on next steps.

Hopefully others will answer your question about Abiraterone versus Enzalutamide in terms of side effects.

Best wishes,

Ian

User
Posted 11 Aug 2018 at 09:39
Just hope they come up with the best plan for your husband. My husband is on Abiraterone (as part of a trial so maybe another drug as well) his only side effects are high blood pressure (pills) and low potassium which even with supplements we still need to work on. PSA is coming down slowly but steadily month by month. 3 months so far 25 down to 3.9.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 10 Aug 2018 at 13:17

Sorry to read this Bluetrew. Hopefully once the scans are done you will have a clearer picture on next steps.

Hopefully others will answer your question about Abiraterone versus Enzalutamide in terms of side effects.

Best wishes,

Ian

User
Posted 10 Aug 2018 at 17:01
Bluetrew, whilst the two drugs are usually alternatives and can produce similar outcomes, there have been lots of cases where abiraterone use has been a breeze (mine was, no side effects at all) and can give a couple of years without PCa progression, indeed, good PSA reduction, as it did for me. I kniw of examples where Enzo has been difficult to handle and ineffective, although men on here have been very happy with it, but I have never tried it. Be guided by your onco. He/she may be able to assess which would be the better route to take and maybe able to ho!d out the prospect of a swap if the first one tried doesn't cut the mustard.

Good Luck

AC

User
Posted 10 Aug 2018 at 17:19

As I stated, he has already tried enzalutamide and did not fare well so we are willing to try abiraterone 

User
Posted 11 Aug 2018 at 09:39
Just hope they come up with the best plan for your husband. My husband is on Abiraterone (as part of a trial so maybe another drug as well) his only side effects are high blood pressure (pills) and low potassium which even with supplements we still need to work on. PSA is coming down slowly but steadily month by month. 3 months so far 25 down to 3.9.