Show search

Notification

Error
12>

A load of symptoms and worried!

User
Posted 14 Aug 2018 at 14:07

Hello all,

I have looked around this site and it is amazing the amount of support and help available. I think I just need to vent a little and if anyone relates to what I am going through then great!

I am 51 and for about 3 months I have noticed that when I pee I get a lot more 'dribble' when I finish. In the past 4 weeks this has escalated to where I pee and then get pain in the groin and in my penis which takes about 30 mins to reduce. I have painful ejaculation now and also I wet the bed at the weekend after a long sleep (haven't done that since I was 5). Panicking and worried as my Mother's side is full of breast cancer (mum, aunties and my sister) and my last PSA was a few years ago. I suffer from chronic fatigue syndrome too as a complication!

I have severe health anxiety and it has been building over the years having seen relatives die and having had a couple of very stressful situations pop up in the last year (well, 4 to be exact).

Lower back pain and muscle pain in the shoulders too...

Saw the GP today, he tested urine for an infection - none found - and did a DRE which he says was 'smooth' and not overly enlarged. He has suggested antibiotics and to then go back in 6 weeks but I feel antibiotics is pointless if there is no infection? He feels it is more indicative of a UTI and I couldn't persuade him to do the PSA test (he says the possible infection would raise it).

I am a huge worrier and I also cannot stand waiting to see what happens next. I am reading all over the place that advanced PC shows itself with my symptoms (pain after urination, lower back pain, urge to go again when nothing is there). Has anyone else been through this awful situation of waiting for the next step? I feel pretty useless as a 'man' right now and am struggling to focus on work and family as I am getting a little OCD about having a disease that hasn't been caught in time...seems to be all over the news too...

Feel a bit selfish writing this as I know many of you have been diagnosed and are on your journey's...just not sure who else I can talk to (my wife is great but she tires of my health issues)...

Take care all,

Mark

User
Posted 14 Aug 2018 at 15:41
You are right that it makes no sense to be put on antibiotics when there is no evidence of infection. However the physical examination you have had will tend to raise psa artificially so you would need to wait a while to have psa tested. Six weeks is too long though. I would ask for and insist on a psa test as soon as is reasonable, and also for kidney function to be assessed using the same blood sample. Good luck and try not to worry, there are many possible causes of your symptoms.
User
Posted 14 Aug 2018 at 16:11
I disagree with Dark Warrior. The dip test GPs use will not identify all possible infections. On the other hand, it can be a bit trial and error to find the right anti-biotic for a particular UTI. I think your GP is quite right. Give the antibiotics a week to work and then have the PSA test. It is very unlikely that you have PCa, but if it turns out that you have, you are in the right place for advice. In the meantime, for goodness sake stop worrying about a minor problem.

AC
User
Posted 14 Aug 2018 at 16:12

Many thanks for the reply. I will have to wait a few days and go back I guess! I am trying to take comfort from him saying it was smooth and not enlarged (overly) but he also said he can only feel so far!

I did notice a few times in the shower last week that soap was causing the end of my penis to sting so I am 'hopeful' that it is more related to that than anything more serious but, as usual, I am panicking...boy I wish I had a different temperament at times like this!

About 2 months ago I had a slew of blood tests done for an unrelated thing including liver, kidney functions etc - all normal - so at least that is one thing!

Mark

User
Posted 14 Aug 2018 at 16:43
Hi Mark,

I think the best solution for your catalogue of symptoms is to insist on a PSA blood test, (it costs the NHS around eight quid, I believe) and a referral to a urologist.

Alkaline soap in the urethra is always painful, so don’t let that worry you!

‘Slews’ of blood tests do not include PSA tests unless specifically mentioned on the phlebotomy form!

Cheers, John.
User
Posted 14 Aug 2018 at 17:01

Hi John - thanks for that - you are probably right! When I was referring to the tests I meant more for the kidney one than anything else as I am sure it was just the standard ones (liver, WBC, ESR and all that) which came back normal! It was a rheumatologist who ordered them as I was being referred for possible auto-immune disorder (which isn't there thankfully!). I may call them up and ask for a copy as he said he was doing 'an MOT' which could possibly include PSA but I didn't see the actual results despite them taking 5 vials of blood...

User
Posted 14 Aug 2018 at 18:17
I disagree with Dark Warrior and Bollinge. Your GP is taking the correct steps in the correct order. Your symptoms are classic for a deep seated UTI or kidney problem and as AC says, some UTIs can only be spotted in a hospital lab so taking the antibiotics first and having the PSA test later is more sensible than the other way round.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 14 Aug 2018 at 22:51

As a fellow worrier - I lost 12 pounds in weight between my fist PSA test and RALP. I can tell you that you want to rule out Cancer because it burns in your mind as a worry. Differential diagnosis performed by GPS is very unhelpful for people who fear the worst. I didn’t believe a word of my two GP’s and urologist who gave me the same spiel. I was right they were wrong. Your doctor will prescribe Doxycycline almost certainly at 100mg for either 12 days or up to to six weeks . This drug performs a party trick. It reduces PSA because it has an anti-inflammatory effect on the prostate. So if there is cancer present or not the PSA will reduce. So the baseline PSA reading is masked and useless. Mine was 7.5 pre antibiotics dropped to 5.2 ten days later It proved nothing.

Your doctor has no business denying you a PSA test. The DRE is useless at detecting cancer. Cancer does not have to be palpable in the prostate to be dangerous. Start from the reverse order. Eliminate Cancer then work backwards to the UTI. Tell your doctor to do the PSA before taking antibiotics because you can confirm with them the effect it will have. Your GP should be referring you to a urologist as well.

Fresh

Edited by member 14 Aug 2018 at 23:06  | Reason: Not specified

Base jumping without a parachute should be frowned at, never criticised. Fresh

User
Posted 15 Aug 2018 at 07:50

Thanks Lynn and Fresh for the feedback. Just to let you both know I am the kind of person who always goes to the worst case scenario and in the past few years that tactic has caused a lot of worry and rapid weight loss (as you described Fresh). I am also totally able to recreate physical symptoms after I have read them. So I now have quite bad lower back pain and the groin pain is now totally noticeable when 2 weeks ago it was more of a sensation just from my penis. I have muscle pain all over but that is easily caused by anxiety. This year alone I have been tested for neck cancer (swollen gland in neck, now reduced) amongst other things and my poor wife is getting irritated by my preoccupation. I think coming on here has been a double-edged sword as I see many people who have no symptoms and it is found with a routine check, then others with symptoms where it was found too late to cure. I lost a beloved sister to breast cancer 2 years ago and that still causes me problems. 

So now I am not sure what to do for the best? Take the antibiotics (it is one weeks worth) and see what happens or demand more tests, which will be the umpteenth time in 5 years I have done that!

fresh, did you have any symptoms or was it a routine checkup that found it? My main worry I suppose is that symptoms = advanced and I am also a little annoyed not to have been offered a PSA in the past year by the GP. 

Thoughts are again welcome and thanks for listening again...

User
Posted 15 Aug 2018 at 09:38
It doesn’t work like that - the reason so many men are diagnosed late is because there are often no symptoms. The men with bad symptoms often turn out not to have cancer. Groin pain is not a symptom of prostate cancer. Lower back pain is a symptom of kidney infection.

If you get a PSA test now and then the number comes back a bit high, you will be in another no mans land of ‘well that could be because of undiagnosed infection’ - take the antibiotics and then go back and insist on a PSA test. But I wouldn’t be waiting 6 weeks.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 15 Aug 2018 at 10:22

Thanks Lynn - the antibiotics are for only 1 week so I am thinking I get through that and if no improvement then ask for a PSA next week. I agree it is very difficult to know where one stands on testing as some sites say PSA is not very helpful and others say it is!

to be fair to my GP - he did say that further tests are invasive and can cause other issues so I expect he is hoping it is an infection and clears up before sending me to a Urologist.

Just a hideous anxiety person hence the questions - ultimately I think I have a plan at least...I really appreciate the help!

M

User
Posted 15 Aug 2018 at 11:41
I had no symptoms last November when a routine blood test found a raised level of PSA, and subsequently cancer was discovered.

The Professor of Urology who did my operation said all men over 50 should have annual PSA tests and DRE examinations, as indeed my friends in America do.

Cheers, John
User
Posted 15 Aug 2018 at 20:56

No symptoms either. Just wanted to start collecting data on my PSA in the same way the NHS wants me to do a routine collesterol check. I had my first PSA because the guys in the office were all doing it. Well 7 out of 11 that I asked were. So that’s my entry point. Last week I had my car MOT done. I asked three of the guys in the workshop if they were having PSA checks. Two didn’t even know what it was the third claimed to know and I asked why. He said it was for monitoring his heart condition!!!

Gentlemen. We have a a major issue in this country. A call to arms is needed. 

Fresh

User
Posted 16 Aug 2018 at 07:47

It’s amazing that there is almost no information at the GP surgery on this, nor have I ever been offered a test despite being a risk due to sibling illnesses. I never knew a link between Breast cancer and prostate cancer but my GP knows the history. You are right about a call to arms!

For me the antibiotics have done nothing apart from cause more issues from the back passage so I will give it the weekend then go back and ask for a referral. I have a burning sensation between scrotum and anus now all the time and the end of my penis is stinging pretty much when I am awake. Urge to pee after finishing also present but not having any issues at all at night, which I guess is one thing!

User
Posted 16 Aug 2018 at 08:35

You need to finish the course!!!!! Listen to what Lynn and the others have said PC usually has ZERO pain symptoms in the areas you describe!!

The most likely cause of pain is an infection and as the GP said if you have an infection in that area your PSA could be raised.

The fact you are sleeping OK also means it is highly unlikely to be cancer pain - my dad died of this disease and if you have pain from bone secondaries you will know about it!! Without treatment or strong pain killers your life will not be bearable.

Finish the course, then reassess with your GP. Remember the only conclusive diagnostic test fir PC is a biopsy - you do not want one of those without good reason as they are potentially life threatening serious preceedures in their own right.

User
Posted 16 Aug 2018 at 13:10

Thanks again, more good advice :-)

i will try to relax and see where it goes! Either way I will get a PSA test done soon to check. I think as the penis pain, lower back pain etc has come on quite quickly with this constant urge to pee it has scared me somewhat!

What has been heartening on here is the care shown to others and the inspirational stories regardless of journey. There are no guarantees in life but it helps to talk (well, type) and know there are others out there keen to help and advise. Regardless of my outcome I clearly need help with my anxiety and thinking processes (ie catastrophising). 

Cheers,

Mark

User
Posted 16 Aug 2018 at 13:45
I had / have prostate cancer 🤞 and I have not had any pain from it at all and hardly any from my prostatectomy surgery. I was given a virtual pharmacy of painkilling pills and their antidotes upon discharge from hospital, and apart from a few paracetamol for a day or so back at home, none were used.

I fondly remember penis pain, aka ‘blue balls’ or unrequited love, but I wonder if that is now a thing of the past for me. We live in hope!
User
Posted 16 Aug 2018 at 21:50

@MarkBerks...

The replies have good sensible advice, to which the only things I'll add (if they've already been menioned, I didn't see) are...

1 Learn (there's a lot of good info onsite) about likely and potential scenarios (because uncertainty is often a cause of worry, which appropriate knowledge should help reduce).

2 If you do get into the 'diagnose for cancer' thing, be aware that opportunities for worry increase greatly... wait for test then wait for result, wait for another test (and the result), etcetera (for MRI, biopsy, bone scan, CT, etcetera).

3 Worry is natural, to be expected, and you shouldn't feel bad about it.

4 'Share'... simply composing a post can help order (and hence calm) the mind. As will the replies.

5 'Prostate cancer ain't an arterial bleed.' Yes it can kill, but relatively slowly... providing relatively generous time for consideration of various things and treatment.

Edited by member 16 Aug 2018 at 21:51  | Reason: Typo.

User
Posted 17 Aug 2018 at 12:22

Thanks Gulliver - I especially like the comment about it not being an arterial bleed. I am sure there is a ton of worry and anxiety but there appears to be a lot of work on the horizon to deal with it. One thing that has shocked me coming on here is the number of chance discoveries and the fact that GPs don't seem to be clued into that fact and suggest routine stuff. I have been to my GP 5 times in the past 2 years and not once has it even been suggested, even when I have been suffering some pain and fatigue! Almost like it is at the back of their minds too perhaps?

I get the impression that education needs to continue but I do feel that GPs need to also be at the front of that as none of my friends either (over 50) have even had a test suggested...not even a DRE. Is it the embarrassment factor? Is it the time constraints that GPs have? I am not sure but it is not a good situation today that diagnosis or even testing appears to be a lottery when it should be routine?

Example, I have had some neurological issues in the past 6 months...burning skin etc. Went to see a Rheumatologist who charged me £250 for what he called an 'MOT'. Now that was a whole lot of blood taken to assess liver, kidneys, white cells, ESR, rheumatoid factors, ANA you name it. Was a PSA on there? Nope...that to me (now I am informed) is not a full 'MOT' for a man over 50...

Cheers,

Mark

User
Posted 17 Aug 2018 at 12:34
Hi Mark,

Unfortunately the simple fact is that most men over 60 have prostate cancer, and the overwhelming majority of them will die with it, not from it, and will never need any treatment. In terms of simple numbers, it would overwhelm the NHS to treat every man with prostate cancer, and in most cases such treatment would be unnecessary. I'm sure you can imagine the worry it would cause to a huge number of men to know that they have cancer, even when that cancer produces no symptoms and will never need treating.

Chris
User
Posted 17 Aug 2018 at 13:48
I guess so Chris...still...it is a bit of a lottery but I do get the point about the impact on the NHS sadly!
User
Posted 17 Aug 2018 at 14:39

@MarkBerks

If I've helped lessen worry, I'm happy.

Your points about GPs and education are sensible...
GP awareness is lower than ideal.
Embarrassment is a deterrent to DRE.
DRE is increasingly considered less than effective and unnecessary.
Better education will be of benefit.

@Cheshire Chris...

> ...it would overwhelm the NHS to treat every man with prostate cancer, and in most cases such treatment would be unnecessary. I'm sure you can imagine the worry it would cause to a huge number of men to know that they have cancer, even when that cancer produces no symptoms and will never need treating.

As incidence and mortality of prostate cancer and breast cancer are relatively similar, is the lack of activity (education, diagnosis and treatment) similar to that undertaken for breast cancer (and likewise the smoking->lung cancer connection) acceptable in a relatively developed society? (I think not.)

Though less-than-ideally reliable, a PSA test as potential early detection is worthwhile... fast and cheap, it ought to be far more routine than it to-date has been.

The cost-benefit analysis is likely favourable... reducing the need for the expensive machines and meds which accompany later detection.

And socially, enabling people to live healthy lives... well, what price that?

The validity of 'needless worry' is questionable... although many instances of Pca require no treatment, enough do - and hence the value of the earlier-mentioned breast cancer-type programs, in which an important element is self-education and responsibility.

And, in closing, from a personal viewpoint... although vaguely aware of 'prostate cancer' for years, it's something to which I've not been sufficiently exposed to develop appropriate awareness.

I know far more about requirement and penalties for tv licence and car tax; that smoking causes cancer and other diseases; and that ladies are wise to get their breasts tested.

But, Pca... that it's common and often a killer? Nope, until recently that was something of which I was unaware beyond 'Isn't that where the doc sticks a finger up yer a**? No mate, I'm not into that.'

Edited by member 17 Aug 2018 at 14:41  | Reason: Typos

User
Posted 19 Aug 2018 at 13:36
Hi - I am still worried and will see the GP again in the week as the antibiotics have changed nothing and I still have pain after urination, a dull ache in my pelvis and a pain in my lower back (right above the tailbone I think). It bothers me that my level of worry seems out of kilter with the potential issue and even the reality that it could be cancer which is either treatable or at least has a 'years' prognosis rather than months (which my sister had with hers).
I don't want to be chided but has anyone else on here had similar symptoms and been ok with the whole process? Basically about 20 mins after going I get an urge to go again and a pain really where I think my bladder is! I also get perineal (sp?) pain and even rectal discomfort. Now the lower back pain which could be stress, bad posture or any combination! I also have muscle fatigue but have had that for years.

Sorry to keep harping on. I will see the GP, and I have an appointment with talking therapies hopefully to deal with my anxiety which seems out of control at times! I also really appreciate that many, indeed most, have very real struggles and make an effort to reply with sensible advice...whatever the outcome I hope to be as brave/pragmatic and considerate as the group on here...

Mark
User
Posted 19 Aug 2018 at 14:53
Still sounds like a UTI rather than anything else. Some are very resistant to antibiotics.
User
Posted 19 Aug 2018 at 15:50
Mark, unless a culture is grown and the bug identified, it will be down to trial and error to sort out your UTI. This may be outwith your GP's capability. An urgent referral to your Urology Dept may bring you satisfaction. Hassle your GP!!

AC
User
Posted 19 Aug 2018 at 16:50
Thanks Lynn and AC - I will see him this week and ask for referral. Better to get checked and know the score than hope it goes away! I do have CFS (a bit like ME or Fibro) and read this can of thing can occur with both of those, but this seems very focussed in one area and the back pain and muscle pain has gone into overdrive...possibly as a result of stress too! I hate the unknown and the lack of certainty so you are right in that I need to get another check and see where we go from there. If nothing else, this is pretty uncomfortable and demoralising in its own right...stupid bloody gland!

Thanks again for listening - it helps massively...

Mark
User
Posted 24 Aug 2018 at 09:10

Well, GP still didn't suggest PSA as it could be variable if still an infection but he has referred me to a Urologist who I am seeing today in London. In the referral letter my GP says that the Prostate feels 'normal' but cannot work out where the post-peeing pain and pressure in the bladder area is coming from so asking for a second opinion. 

Waiting and worrying is a nightmare! I am not very good at this at and am now tending to withdraw and get very quiet which also has my wife worried...

Thanks as always for any support and encouragement...

User
Posted 24 Aug 2018 at 09:24

@MarkBerks...

> 'I do have CFS (a bit like ME or Fibro) and read this can of thing can occur with both of those...'

With CFS, 'all bets are off' and the body can behave unpredictably and erratically... scenarios with which many GPs are unfamiliar (and many still 'resist' CFS, wrongly considering it a psychological rather than physiological issue).

Without negating the obvious good intent and value of most GPs, there's a suggestion (which I've heard from specialists) they should increasingly more-quickly hand-off cases for appropriate follow-up.

And, although 'you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows'... a 'feels ok' from a GP is bl**dy useless - only a small area can be felt, and it's as valid as 'assessing wind by sticking a finger in the air'.

The potential for prostate cancer (and various other things) is often not appropriately considered (by patient and/or medic), and hence disregarded, to the detriment of the patient's health (and the NHS budget).

User
Posted 24 Aug 2018 at 15:51

So, been to Professor and now really worried. Prostate hard on one side so he will book me in for an MRI. I suffer terrible anxiety and am now feeling very low. I know it is early days but I can’t help thinking the pains in the back and now a firm prostate is bad news. Feel like crying

User
Posted 24 Aug 2018 at 16:08

Sorry to read this Mark, the wait for the MRI plus results will compound how you feel.

Take care,

Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 24 Aug 2018 at 16:21

Thanks Ian. I don’t think I have ever felt so alone

User
Posted 24 Aug 2018 at 17:20

@MarkBerks...

> Feel like crying.

That's understandable.

Crying often helps - so don't hold back.

> I don’t think I have ever felt so alone.

Again, that's understandable.

So, 'prostate hard'... could be relatively minor or indicative of something more significant.

Either way, whether tests deliver an 'ok' or not... 'only way out is through'. With luck, any Pca gets diagnosed sufficiently early to be easily handled. Worst case, it's not.

'Nothing I can do about it now...', it-is-what-it-is and no amount of worrying, guessing, or anything else will influence that - but will cause you unnecessary and draining dis-ease.

So 'saddle-up for the ride' and relax as best you're able. Remember, however bad it is, things could always be worse.

:-)

Edited by member 24 Aug 2018 at 17:23  | Reason: Indecision and inability.

User
Posted 25 Aug 2018 at 09:48

Thanks Gulliver. I am to have an mpMRI and CT scan of the abdomen in Guildford once I get the appointment through. Back pain becoming immune to painkillers now and fear still there. Any tips on working through that appreciated. Also itching skin which seems an odd symptom. 

Mark

User
Posted 25 Aug 2018 at 10:23

>...I am to have an mpMRI and CT scan in Guildford. Back pain becoming immune to painkillers now and fear still there. Any tips on working through that appreciated. Also itching skin which seems an odd symptom.

Ah, Guildford... I once passed a relatively pleasant (yes really, things can always be worse than what's happening at the time) half-day in a locked-door pysch ward there. (Those questioning my use of 'relatively pleasant' should try being married to a 'texan, redhead, lawyer'... even though I loved her dearly.)

Anyway...

There might be further painkiller options... to slow tolerance I used to do a month of Dihydro and then a month of Tramadol. For non-opioid, Diclofenac is stronger than Naproxen. (I'm told smoking heroin is quite good, and relatively un-addictive.)

GPs vary in 'willingness to prescribe', but the H should be easy to get.

Itching skin could be who-knows-what - often a stress-related symptom. Simple over-the-counter anti-histamines might help, and those which induce drowsiness should help you better deal with your fears... not much use if you're about to go on The Krypton Factor, or have nuclear bombs to defuse, though.

MRI should be easy (somewhere onsite I've a post - can't remember what it's called - about mine), I fell asleep.

CT is 'over before you know it'. So brief I didn't get the chance for a snooze.

You may at some point also get a bone scan... if so, ask 'em to 'lift the plate, so it's not scraping your nose' - it was only after mine that I learned how some techs have it lower than necessary, thus increasing chance of claustrophobia.

User
Posted 28 Aug 2018 at 14:32

Feeling awful now. Bad back pain, pain after I pee and this morning I went to A&E just to get some relief and maybe some reassurance. Bloods taken and normal outside of a slight elevation on an inflammation marker. 

So, now I have some inflammation, one side of my prostate is firm and I have the pain and symptoms. I am such a bad worrier and my total inability to deal with my emotions is really hard. 

I know I am supposed to man up, but I cannot move my brain in that direction at all! I will be having an mpMRI and CT scan of my abdomen at some point but I feel dead already inside. I lost my beloved sister two years ago and have not even moved on from that. 

I know symptoms are not a real indicator but I feel after zero help from antibiotics there is only one other thing left that it could be. 

Has anyone else felt as desperate as this? I may see the GP for something to reduce the anxiety but how do you all seem to get on with life and roll with the punches? 

Sounds pathetic I know, but just need some support and maybe some similar thoughts to know I am not alone. 

Thanks

User
Posted 28 Aug 2018 at 17:44

Mark, getting panicky while you're waiting for tests and results is completely normal, but it WILL pass. I was diagnosed with both prostate cancer and kidney cancer in May, and all I could think about from the moment I woke up in the morning until I went to sleep was cancer. At that time I couldn't imagine that I'd ever enjoy life again. Three and a half months later and the prostate cancer is in hand, the kidney tumour is being surgically removed this coming Saturday, and life feels good again.

No matter how bad the results might be, you'll feel better when you know what's wrong with you and have a treatment plan in place. I guarantee it.

In the mean time, do go and see your GP and get some medication for the anxiety. My GP put me on a drug call Sertraline which helped tremendously.

Chris

Edited by member 28 Aug 2018 at 17:46  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Aug 2018 at 18:37

Thanks Chris - your reply has helped me relax a little! I think it is the fear of the unknown and also the fear of my usual route of withdrawing when I get depressed...I just don't want that to happen. I am already on Venlafaxine for a long standing depression but the mornings are hell and I seem to be in a lot of pain, which could even be mainly my own brain working against me (along with fatigue, bad posture etc).

But I appreciate your reply - it helps!

All the best,

Mark

User
Posted 29 Aug 2018 at 03:17

Hi Mark,

I’m a worrier too - still awake at 3am as usual. Just sending you a hug to let you know you’re not alone. 

Fingers and toes crossed for good results xx 

Vicky 

Broken crayons still colour 

User
Posted 29 Aug 2018 at 08:15

Thank you Vicky. Sending one back x

User
Posted 29 Aug 2018 at 08:26

Strange, I don’t think I have had any psychological reaction from my raised PSA, to being diagnosed with cancer, subsequent operation and biopsy results. Maybe because I read stuff like this below, and bear in mind, survival rates are increasing year on year.

In contrast, with lung cancer, 96% of sufferers die within five years. Don’t know if these statistics will give you any solace, I hope so.

From an American cancer website:

According to the most recent data, when including all stages of prostate cancer:

The 5-year relative survival rate is 99%
The 10-year relative survival rate is 98%
The 15-year relative survival rate is 96%
Keep in mind that just as 5-year survival rates are based on men diagnosed and first treated more than 5 years ago, 10-year survival rates are based on men diagnosed more than 10 years ago (and 15-year survival rates are based on men diagnosed at least 15 years ago.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/prostate-cancer/detection-diagnosis-staging/survival-rates.html

Cheers, John

Edited by member 29 Aug 2018 at 14:58  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Aug 2018 at 08:27

@MarkBerks...

As you mentioned 'man-up', let's expand on it...

There comes a point at which 'STFU, deal with it' becomes a genuinely caring and worthwhile suggestion rather than uncaring cruel dismissal.

And hey, guess what?

Such a point as been reached, and your 'digging deeper, within' will be helpful to you.

Whatever 'external empathy and sympathy' is sought and available is relatively minor in comparison with what you personally 'need' and are almost certainly able (with appropriate mindset and effort) to do.

Right now, the facts are clear: you have pain, which may be symptomatic of PCa.

Further supposition is: you may actually have PCa.

If you don't, or do, we can again call on fact: if you don't, that's one worry less. If you do, then it's either relatively minor or relatively significant.

Returning again to conjecture: if such PCa is relatively minor, you'll probably not be too troubled by it. If it's sufficiently relatively significant it'll kill you.

So, 'them's the facts, them's the guesses'.

Beyond what I've already suggested, my advice is 'remember that it could always be worse, and be grateful that it's not'.

[Yesterday at my GP surgery (for the hormone-block jab I'd forgotten to get last week - yes, so unbothered am I by my PCa, that I forgot to do the thing that's helping keep me alive and in relative good health), I clumsily quipped on this with: 'Yes, I could be living in Netwon Abbot.' [My apologies to those so-located, for my unfair dismissal of your locale.]

User
Posted 29 Aug 2018 at 08:44

Morning everyone, regarding the survival statistics posted today by John. I've got a bit of paper with those written down which I keep inside my bedside drawer so that I can't help but regularly see them. It definately helps me. 

Paul.

User
Posted 29 Aug 2018 at 18:49

Thanks again all. I am going to abstain from google now as I just read that breast cancer that runs in families increases greatly the risk of prostate cancer...my mothers side has it in spades (both her and my sister as well as aunties etc). Feels like the gun is loaded from the off now and once again anxiety is going nuts. Oh, and I eat a lot of red meat etc....

So, with the symptoms, genetics, diet and age I look to be a prime candidate to join the club. I think I know the answer I will be hearing BUT my only thread of hope now is that the symptoms are related to it being near the urethra rather than everywhere and it can still be resolved.

Scans on Friday - followed by what may seem like the wait from hell, then the meeting from hell...

Ugh...

But thanks for your answers and listening once again. I wish I had known more at an earlier age and got tested from about 45...then I may have been in a better place mentally than where I am now awaiting the inevitable...

User
Posted 30 Aug 2018 at 12:58
Thanks Neil - appreciate the time taken to reply. I know it is more about my reaction to the fear and uncertainty as well as the facts that I have symptoms which is not a good sign at all. The GP said it was smooth and normal, the Urologist said 'firm' on one side so I am hoping that it has been caught at a local stage and my back pain is more down to anxiety and stress than the actual illness. Still, having symptoms is the biggest part of my worry as you can imagine.

But thanks for thinking of me and I am really trying to be 'objective' and realise that I do not have any diagnosis at this stage, more a collection of symptoms and one DRE that felt firm rather than 'hard' or knobbly...

Kind regards,

Mark
User
Posted 03 Sep 2018 at 10:03

So, had the mpMRI and a CT scan of my abdomen done last Friday. Now seeing the consultant on Saturday 8th. Absolutely terrified now and really searching for some inner strength as I am finding it very difficult commuting into London and working a full day appearing engaged and directing people on what they should be doing. Shaking inside like a leaf!

How on earth do you guys deal with the tests and waiting without going into a dark hole? I have a history of depression caused by anxiety so this is a tricky one to deal with as one feeds the other. I am just hoping that despite all the symptoms it has been caught early enough or I really will not know what to do!

Is it worth a call in to the nurses on here even before diagnosis? Based on my consultants DRE and the expected subsequent test results I do need to talk it through with someone but not sure who or how?

Thanks again for any direction through the minefield...

Mark

User
Posted 04 Sep 2018 at 22:54

Distraction works - the more exiting the better! Remember stress is BAD and doesn't help anything.  Over time you will find what works for you.

User
Posted 05 Sep 2018 at 00:49

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Unfortunately the simple fact is that most men over 60 have prostate cancer, and the overwhelming majority of them will die with it, not from it, and will never need any treatment.

I here this line a lot. I don’t believe it any more. I actually think that most men do get PCa and it effectively limits or artificially shortens their optimal lives at around the 80-85 year mark as a non diagnosed, non treated malignancy that is often passed off as other end of life issues. There isn’t a lot of meaningful autopsy done on 80-85 year old‘s (Men or Women) and unfortunatly the end stages of PCa look very much like extreme old age.

Can someone point me to research that can prove that this mass (“most men”) disease has no life shortening effect on the normal life expectancy of men. 

Fresh

Edited by member 05 Sep 2018 at 00:50  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Sep 2018 at 01:59
It came from a pan-European study of men over the age of 18. A range of postmortem results were taken into scope so the men had died at all different ages from the whole range of possible causes of death - from road accidents to suicide to cancer. The results were that 50% of men in their 50s, 70% of men in their 70s and just less than 80% of men in their 80s had some cancer in their prostate although the majority will have died totally unaware of that fact. A different study found that 100% of men aged 90 or over had some prostate cancer.

I dispute the statement that the end stages of prostate cancer look like old age. Dying a painful death with organ failure, agonising bone pain, paralysed by SCC or knocked out on morphine looks nothing like old age.

I don't like that phrase though - most men die with it not of it. That is no comfort to the 10,000 men who die each year of advanced PCa (or their family & friends) - the fact is that although it is very common (and for men who live a long life, almost universal) cannot be allowed to take away from the fact that it kills too many men too soon.
User
Posted 07 Sep 2018 at 11:10

So, tomorrow I will get the results back of PSA, CT and mpMRI scans in one go from prof in Surrey. 8:45am appointment and right now I do not know how to feel or what to do with my brain. I am working (trying) and distracting (trying), but any advice or even some words to let me know I am not alone will be appreciated. It almost feels like my entire life can turn on a dime by around 9am tomorrow...what a horrible feeling and incredibly lonely!

M

User
Posted 07 Sep 2018 at 11:23
Well try to act to remove that feeling. Try ringing one of the nurses on here and talk through how you are feeling. They are fantastic at helping you feel better and can outline the numerous options that will be available to you whatever the diagnosis is. They have helped me numerous times! Best of luck to you Mark and fingers crossed for tomorrow. Ring them!
Richard