I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Questions about how to use the new community space

User
Posted 06 May 2014 at 19:01

Got a question about how the new community space works? Can't figure out how to do that thing you used to do on the old platform? Ask your questions right here and hopefully this conversation will be useful for other folks wondering the same thing.

Edited by member 13 Oct 2015 at 14:14  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 May 2014 at 16:05

Hi Sadie,

Is there no way you can have the old forum topics re-set as the main ones on the 'All topics' menu, then put the new topic selections beneath those?

Quite frankly, there are many of us who have to go immediately to 'Old Forum Topics' because at the moment, the new selection is of little interest to us.

George

User
Posted 12 May 2014 at 16:17

Hi Sadie

With regard to your answer to George, there are many members that have just one thread and have kept these going all the way through there treatment.

Can you not move these because i would like to keep mine going, or should i start cut and pasting now i think there is only 130 ish postings if i start now i should be done by the end of the week http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-kiss.gif

Or if you can wait till i die then you can archive minehttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-kiss.gif

Thanks

Simon

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 28 May 2014 at 18:16

Hi Sadie,

Many thanks for the reply and the reassurance.

A big improvement would be if we had these old 'Topic headings' back.

I honestly think they are clearer than the new ones.

Diagnosis
Share your experiences of being diagnosed and your knowledge of testing.
1,916 conversations

Treatment
Discuss all aspects of being treated for prostate cancer
4,041 conversations

Prostate cancer practice guidelines
Discuss the impact of guidelines for how prostate cancer should be managed in the NHS and private sector.
76 conversations

Life with Prostate Cancer
How lives are changed by diagnosis, treatment etc.
1,348 conversations

Friends and Family
A place where the family and friends of men with prostate cancer can talk about their experiences and share support and advice.
1,169 conversations

Diet and Lifestyle
Use this forum to discuss food, diet, and lifestyle choices.
480 conversations

Personal Stories
This forum has been created for you to share your good news and inspiring stories. Please start a new topic to share your own story.
178 conversations

Awareness
Raising awareness is an important part of fighting prostate cancer. Find out about what the Charity is doing and share your awareness raising activities.
73 conversations

Events
Got an event coming up? Put details here for everyone to see.
229 conversations

From the Moderator
This is where you will find messages from the Moderator, including warnings about bugs, down time, etc. Also, occasionally, responses to message threads or emails. You can't post a reply here but you are welcome to email the Moderator at forums-admin@pros
32 conversations

Many thanks,

George

User
Posted 07 May 2014 at 09:51

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I have no idea how you just get back to the default avatar ? can you help please. Thank You. PS Well done on the new site !!

Thanks! Right now there's no way for you to delete your avatar, you just have to replace it. I uploaded one of the default ones to your profile.

User
Posted 09 May 2014 at 08:13

Hi Sadie,
I am distraught, at 69 I have just discovered the world of smileys!
I have literally spent the last 30 minutes sending a reply on recent conversations about the effect of riding a bike. I posted it and it appeared. I then went to edit it but then didn't know how to resubmit it. I then pressed save.....it has now disappeared completely ...HELP
Another point I think it would be helpful if we knew who was posting replies etc. when you initially open new conversations etc rather than having to open another page and then look at avatars
Thankyou

Somehow your post about riding a bike ended up listed as 'unmoderated'. I'll investigate whether it somehow got put in as a new conversation or if it went to moderation for some other reason. UPDATE: It just went to moderation for some reason and when I approved it it reappeared on the correct conversation. I'll find out what happened, thanks for reporting it!

Re: about seeing who is posting replies, It's a good idea and I'll ask our developers how much work adding that feature would be and we can look at adding that in the future.

Edited by member 09 May 2014 at 08:16  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 May 2014 at 13:49
Hi TG I am having the same problem.

It's getting very frustrating.

PS don't look at my avatar or you will see my dog has nicked TED😈😈😈

TAKE CARE

Roy

User
Posted 12 May 2014 at 16:27
Hi,

I agree with Martenstoves, having to scroll down through stacks of messages to see the last one is not so clever and sometimes it flicks you back to the top of the page and you have to start scrolling down again. Last message first please.

Also there doesn't appear to be an answer yet on how we edit (others are having the same problem) messages are getting lost into the ether. What is the procedure after we have edited our post....what do we press....kick!

Ta muchly

User
Posted 14 May 2014 at 03:14
Hi Sadie,

I have just signed in again and it says that there are 5 new posts since my last visit but 0 in recent conversations. It doesn't say where these 5 new posts are and without that information I have no idea where to look.

Thank you

Edited by member 14 May 2014 at 03:18  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 May 2014 at 09:50
Yes there bugs and headings that need looking into.

Yes some posts could do with being transferred or at least pointed to.

Yes this site is not like the old one. However is that down to how we look at things? Rather than comparing to what was isn’t better to see this site as a new site and get the most out of to help others?

The main theme of the longer term posters is stay positive so why not adopt that attitude to this site and whether you post sometimes or more frequently highlight the good points as that might encourage new members to post.

So on a positive: I use it mostly via mobile (which decided to pack in this weekend so off it goes to the repair shop – will I see it again). It does have some mobile issues but it’s a --- lot faster,marvellous.

Good luck to all

Ray

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 07 May 2014 at 09:24

Hi Sadie, Just seen the pic I tried to put up for my avatar...good grief !! I'm actually thinking a photo is not such a good idea, I might be better off with a cartoon or something, but I have no idea how you just get back to the default avatar ? can you help please. Thank You.

PS Well done on the new site !!

User
Posted 07 May 2014 at 09:51

I have no idea how you just get back to the default avatar ? can you help please. Thank You. PS Well done on the new site !!

Thanks! Right now there's no way for you to delete your avatar, you just have to replace it. I uploaded one of the default ones to your profile.

User
Posted 07 May 2014 at 12:53
Hi Sadie -I seem to be following posts from way back. I ticked the first and second page but the list goes on. Thus anyway I can unfollow all without ticking with what could be a long list.

Regards

Ray King - I will investigate the site further.

User
Posted 08 May 2014 at 18:51

Just noticed after posting the times of posting are still GMT,is there any where I can alter this BST.

Strange its just gone to BST after editing my profile.http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif

Edited by member 08 May 2014 at 18:57  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 May 2014 at 07:20
Hi Sadie,

I have literally spent the last 30 minutes sending a reply on recent conversations about the effect of riding a bike. I posted it and it appeared. I then went to edit it but then didn't know how to resubmit it. I then pressed save.....it has now disappeared completely ...HELP

Another point I think it would be helpful if we knew who was posting replies etc. when you initially open new conversations etc rather than having to open another page and then look at avatars

Thankyou

User
Posted 09 May 2014 at 08:05

Hi Sadie -I seem to be following posts from way back. I ticked the first and second page but the list goes on. Thus anyway I can unfollow all without ticking with what could be a long list.

I don't know why your account was set to be following so much, but I unfollowed everything for you, so this should be fixed for you now. I'll see about getting a 'select all' button to make that something users can do. 

User
Posted 09 May 2014 at 08:07

Strange its just gone to BST after editing my profile.http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif

Glad it's sorted now, but I'll have the developers double-check it's working as it should.

User
Posted 09 May 2014 at 08:13

Hi Sadie,
Thankyou

Somehow your post about riding a bike ended up listed as 'unmoderated'. I'll investigate whether it somehow got put in as a new conversation or if it went to moderation for some other reason. UPDATE: It just went to moderation for some reason and when I approved it it reappeared on the correct conversation. I'll find out what happened, thanks for reporting it!

Re: about seeing who is posting replies, It's a good idea and I'll ask our developers how much work adding that feature would be and we can look at adding that in the future.

Edited by member 09 May 2014 at 08:16  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 May 2014 at 15:56
Hi Sadie

Possible bug? I started off a new thread this afternoon, and once it had appeared as moderated, I realised it needed a small edit. I pressed the edit button and made the change. On pressing "Save", I received a 404 page not found error and the thread has now disappeared from the list of recent conversations. Also it is not in my list of conversations.

Please have a look.

Ta.

Tony

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 09 May 2014 at 15:57
As you were. It has now reappeared, and in the edited form.... odd!!

Tony

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 09 May 2014 at 16:00

As you were. It has now reappeared, and in the edited form.... odd!!

Tony

It looks like edited posts are occasionally getting randomly flagged for moderation for some reason, so they're held until a moderator approves them. It's possible that's what just happened to you. We'll get it fixed!

User
Posted 10 May 2014 at 16:05

Hi Sadie,

Is there no way you can have the old forum topics re-set as the main ones on the 'All topics' menu, then put the new topic selections beneath those?

Quite frankly, there are many of us who have to go immediately to 'Old Forum Topics' because at the moment, the new selection is of little interest to us.

George

User
Posted 11 May 2014 at 06:08
Hi Sadie,

Going back to the question of editing ones post I note that I am not alone with this problem.

What is the correct procedure for entering the message once editing has been carried out.

Also when you are replying to a previous post you can't scroll down to see more than a couple of previous messages so often can't see the original message to which you want to reply to......I am using an iPad

Thank you

User
Posted 11 May 2014 at 13:49
Hi TG I am having the same problem.

It's getting very frustrating.

PS don't look at my avatar or you will see my dog has nicked TED😈😈😈

TAKE CARE

Roy

User
Posted 11 May 2014 at 17:08
I was getting the 404 too ....Seems like the link to the forum was broken for some reason. ?I had to go back through to the PCUK home page click on to Community and re-set the page on Bookmarks.
User
Posted 12 May 2014 at 00:15
How do you delete a post ?.

Thanks

Roy

User
Posted 12 May 2014 at 10:02

Me too, thanks

User
Posted 12 May 2014 at 12:33

Hi George --

The old forum topics are in a separate area because the terms of posting have changed and we didn't want to change the rules on what people had already posted on the old forum. In the new topic areas, the body content of posts (but not usernames or profile information) is visible to users who are not logged in, to make the forum a better resource to men who are looking for answers. Because all the pre-move messages were posted when nothing whatsoever was visible to users who weren't logged in, we wanted to maintain that same set of rules for that content. Right now users who aren't logged in can't see the archive forums at all.

What we want is for members to move conversations to the main areas, and eventually after a time we'll lock the archive areas so that they're read-only. New conversations, for example, should be posted in the main areas rather than the archive areas, with the archive area mainly used to finish up conversations in progress. 

I hope that makes sense. In the meantime, I think the easiest way to keep up with the community without having to click through different topics is to use the Recent conversations view. You can see all the latest updated conversations, with newest on top, from across all the topic areas. This was a feature that a lot of people liked on the old forum but many people didn't know about -- we tried to make it more prominent in the new community space.

Best,

Sadie

User
Posted 12 May 2014 at 12:35

To delete a post you'll have to either edit it and remove all the content (it will still remain as an empty post) or you can click 'Report' to report it to a moderator and in the explanation you can say it's your post and you'd like it removed.

User
Posted 12 May 2014 at 12:51
Hi Sadie

Thanks for the reply.

Is this the way it will always be or will we be able to remove our own posts in the future, as this seems a simple task to achieve or it will look very untidy, so I do hope it is put on the snag list and rectified. Yesterday I placed a post which I needed to edit, at which point it disappeared, so I tried again and the same thing happened, so once I had given up in frustration after finally getting a post to appear, Lo and behold the previous post appeared making the conversation look like nonsense.

Thanks

Roy

User
Posted 12 May 2014 at 13:00
Hi Sadie

Just tried to edit my post as you suggested and it will not allow an empty post to be saved ?

Ps I can add this to my previous post or it will disappear.

Roy

User
Posted 12 May 2014 at 13:23

Hi Sadie,

Thanks for your swift reply. I can see where you're coming from as regards the new forum menu v old forums.

I didn't appreciate the viewing permissions for non-subscribers.

What baffles me a bit is that when we start new conversations, the subjects of our posts don't fit exactly into the new section titles.

I can't see them being collated into an appropriate section.

It looks as though the list of 'Recent Conversarions' could end up a mile long.

I'm a dozy Geordie, you knowhttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif. Am I missing the obvious?

Very best wishes,

George

User
Posted 12 May 2014 at 15:28

At present I have to scroll down to the end of a thread to see the latest contribution. Can I swap so that the last post is at the top please?

User
Posted 12 May 2014 at 16:17

Hi Sadie

With regard to your answer to George, there are many members that have just one thread and have kept these going all the way through there treatment.

Can you not move these because i would like to keep mine going, or should i start cut and pasting now i think there is only 130 ish postings if i start now i should be done by the end of the week http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-kiss.gif

Or if you can wait till i die then you can archive minehttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-kiss.gif

Thanks

Simon

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 12 May 2014 at 16:27
Hi,

I agree with Martenstoves, having to scroll down through stacks of messages to see the last one is not so clever and sometimes it flicks you back to the top of the page and you have to start scrolling down again. Last message first please.

Also there doesn't appear to be an answer yet on how we edit (others are having the same problem) messages are getting lost into the ether. What is the procedure after we have edited our post....what do we press....kick!

Ta muchly

User
Posted 13 May 2014 at 13:57
Hi Sadie,

I am also experiencing problems with not being able to delete posts and edit them straight back into the conversation which was so easy under the old format. I therefore cut and pasted back into the conversation but quite a time after this my edited post appeared resulting in a double post. The delay means revised posts are not seen or appear out of context.

Another point that has already been made is that some members like to add to a thread maybe a lot later having originally posted in the old format. The continuity is lost if the original thread ('Conversation' in the new speak), cannot be accessed and those reading the update cannot relate it to what has been said before. Could one just paste the original thread into one's Profile or would this overload the system? Incidentally, it seems my Personal Story in the old format does not appear when the appropriate section is viewed. Maybe this was because you have not gone back far enough in 2008 for it to be included or because I have not added to it for a long time. In any event, it now seems irrecoverable.

Barry
User
Posted 13 May 2014 at 14:34

When I sign in as a member and check the "Keep signed in" box must I then sign in each time i visit the site. So far that seems to be the case.

User
Posted 13 May 2014 at 14:45

Hi,
Ta muchly

At second attempt the thread post quote I initially selected and wanted has appeared.  My first attempt would have had me quoting a message that I did not initially select due to the screen leaping up towards the start of the thread and selecting a random post for me.  Now, some may find it irritating that the screen randomly pops about but I love it.  It will keep me on my toes and ensure that I am giving it 100% attention.  No relaxing in front of the laptop for me from now on, and this should stimulate the grey matter and ensure mental acuity until my old age, whenever that may be.  

At first I thought that the screen leaping was maybe down to my twitchy mouse fingers, not that I have the fingers of a mouse, and that they are twitchy , I mean "computer mouse" fingers.  Maybe twitchy mouse palm and forefinger would be more accurate?  Keeping up?  Anyway if the screen is not meant to randomly scroll up maybe the fact that at least two people are affected could be addressed?

Dave

Edited by member 13 May 2014 at 14:45  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 May 2014 at 03:14
Hi Sadie,

I have just signed in again and it says that there are 5 new posts since my last visit but 0 in recent conversations. It doesn't say where these 5 new posts are and without that information I have no idea where to look.

Thank you

Edited by member 14 May 2014 at 03:18  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 May 2014 at 14:11

Hi again Sadie,

About the new menu for conversations:

How can we transfer Personal Stories from the old forums to the new section on the menu here, which does have the correct title?

We have had some wonderful long running posts from some great men, some of whom have now left us, such as Andy Ripley and Spurspark (Mark) and his 'Rocky Road' and from longstanding members such as Rob and Allister and others who have run the gamut of treatments and clinical trials, acting as pioneers for us all. There are many more names.

It would be a shame to have those stories locked away in the old forum, or even lost altogether.

The information in those posts is priceless.

And the new 'Treatment' section'...I don't think 'Getting Rid of Prostate Cancer' is a suitable heading.

We don't have a cure yet, unless someone is lucky enough to be diagnosed in time and have the perfect op carried out by the best surgeon around.

Surely it would be better to word it simply 'TREATMENT', (but I do agree with the next one, 'Treatment of Advanced Cancer', because there is a big difference).

Yes, there are suitable new topic titles on this site, but how can we transfer very valuable Diet and Lifestyle and Prostate Cancer Guidelines posts for instance from the old to the new.

One of our members, Art, submitted brilliant posts on tackling bureaucracy and how to complain etc.

Very important, since so many of us have had shoddy medical care at one time or another.

So, is there a way to do all this? All I could think of was the slow business of copying and pasting old posts to the new forums, as some have done, but how about the transfer of those important stories from members now deceased, but who inspired us all?

Any ideas?

George

Edited by member 15 May 2014 at 15:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 May 2014 at 19:18

This new web-site makes me want to cry and gnash my teeth. I understood the old one so much better.

User
Posted 20 May 2014 at 09:50
Yes there bugs and headings that need looking into.

Yes some posts could do with being transferred or at least pointed to.

Yes this site is not like the old one. However is that down to how we look at things? Rather than comparing to what was isn’t better to see this site as a new site and get the most out of to help others?

The main theme of the longer term posters is stay positive so why not adopt that attitude to this site and whether you post sometimes or more frequently highlight the good points as that might encourage new members to post.

So on a positive: I use it mostly via mobile (which decided to pack in this weekend so off it goes to the repair shop – will I see it again). It does have some mobile issues but it’s a --- lot faster,marvellous.

Good luck to all

Ray

User
Posted 28 May 2014 at 15:57

Can I ask if there is any ongoing work to rescue this website?

Getting very worried now about members staying away from it.http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif

George

User
Posted 28 May 2014 at 17:39

Hi George --

Yes, our developers are actually working on a whole load of fixes as we speak. All of the bugs and quirks people have reported we've reported on to the developers and they have booked in time this week to fix a whole raft of issues that weren't discovered until after we went live (including: repeated logouts, conversation titles disappearing, confusing 'confirm topic' button, inability to delete own posts, and more).

We're also going to be adding the list of all topic areas back to the Community Home page, so it's on the first page you see when you log in. Some users have complained that it's harder to find their way around, and I think putting the topic areas list right on the homepage will make it feel more familiar and like the old community space in terms of getting around. 

In response to your question about transferring conversations out of the archive sections -- we'd rather people just create 'continued' conversations which in their first post contain a link to the archived thread. Otherwise the old posts will be moved under a new privacy policy and without getting permission from every person who posted to the original thread, it doesn't seem right. I'm happy to help people create these links to/from conversations in the new areas.

The old well-loved threads that are so important to people will never be lost. In fact, if you post to 'top' them right now, once the archive areas are locked from new posts, they'll stay at the top of the archives forever. You can also start a new thread in the relevant new areas to signpost to those threads for newcomers who may learn or feel supported or inspired by reading them. 

Hope this helps,

Sadie

User
Posted 28 May 2014 at 18:16

Hi Sadie,

Many thanks for the reply and the reassurance.

A big improvement would be if we had these old 'Topic headings' back.

I honestly think they are clearer than the new ones.

Diagnosis
Share your experiences of being diagnosed and your knowledge of testing.
1,916 conversations

Treatment
Discuss all aspects of being treated for prostate cancer
4,041 conversations

Prostate cancer practice guidelines
Discuss the impact of guidelines for how prostate cancer should be managed in the NHS and private sector.
76 conversations

Life with Prostate Cancer
How lives are changed by diagnosis, treatment etc.
1,348 conversations

Friends and Family
A place where the family and friends of men with prostate cancer can talk about their experiences and share support and advice.
1,169 conversations

Diet and Lifestyle
Use this forum to discuss food, diet, and lifestyle choices.
480 conversations

Personal Stories
This forum has been created for you to share your good news and inspiring stories. Please start a new topic to share your own story.
178 conversations

Awareness
Raising awareness is an important part of fighting prostate cancer. Find out about what the Charity is doing and share your awareness raising activities.
73 conversations

Events
Got an event coming up? Put details here for everyone to see.
229 conversations

From the Moderator
This is where you will find messages from the Moderator, including warnings about bugs, down time, etc. Also, occasionally, responses to message threads or emails. You can't post a reply here but you are welcome to email the Moderator at forums-admin@pros
32 conversations

Many thanks,

George

User
Posted 11 Jun 2014 at 19:19

George,

I've just read your list of all the old headings, and I totally agree. I'm not the most computer literate of people, but I so loved this web-site when I first looked at it July 2013. I found it co comforting. I no longer get that feeling

User
Posted 11 Jun 2014 at 21:39

I was a member of the old Forum altho  didnt post too often. I tried to transfer  details  over to this new site  but no success. When I contacted the help desk I was told a new password would be sent  to my previous email address as that one the one I originally joined with.  It  never arrived!!  So  have given up trying and having to start anew as a new member. Such a shame to lose my old bio on Jacques progress through his journey.

User
Posted 11 Jun 2014 at 22:53
Sadie,

After reading some of your answers how can I keep my Absent Friends on Friends and Family thread on top, or visible easily, I started doing the thread, as I felt there was a need, in 2012, and have a new 2013 version now with names being added too often, if you would like me to transfer it before you archive it can you tell me how please.

Chris.

User
Posted 12 Jun 2014 at 10:32

Hi all --

Regarding the topic headings and George's suggestion that we use the old ones, we've talked this through and here's what we're doing:

- We've just gone through and given all of the new topic areas proper descriptions so visitors will know what to expect and post in each area.

- We totally understand that the topic areas aren't easy to navigate right now, but we think a significant part of that is down to a bug in what happens when you click the broader topic areas like 'welcome' 'treatment' etc -- they're meant to expand in place so you can see all of the topic areas at a glance on the same page, but what they actually do is go to an intermediate page which is pretty useless. Our developers are in the process of fixing that. We're also putting the topic areas right on the home page so you'll have that overview of the whole board instantly.

- We don't want to go back down to the smaller number of forums *yet*, for two reasons... First because a lot of the new areas are things that users have been asking for for ages and we want to give people the opportunity to use them and show whether or not they're needed. And second, because of the bugs in the navigation we want to fix those first and see if it solves the problem.

It's very easy to merge two topic areas into one, but it's very difficult to split one back into two because you have to move every conversation one by one. So we'd like to wait, fix the bugs, and then see how the new areas bed in and if after a while it seems like most people want the topic areas merged, we'll certainly do that.

I hope this approach will make sense to everyone!

Best,
Sadie

User
Posted 12 Jun 2014 at 11:57
Sadie,

Can you post this as well in the thread I opened on LOG issues as there were lots of questions there on the same issue. I think the solution makes sense too and the improvements will help get over many of the concerns. Thanks

User
Posted 12 Jun 2014 at 13:21
Done, and I'm also going to lock this thread and another so all the conversation about bug fixes is happening in one place.

If you want to reply please do so on this conversation: http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t9779-LOG-your-web-issues-here