I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Exercise bike after treatment

User
Posted 06 May 2014 at 19:38
I know the issue of riding a bike following RP and pre PSA test has been discussed before. But in my nativity I'm just wondering if riding a bike can have an impact on any residual PCa cells that may be lingering around the prostate bed after RP etc.

Sounds bizarre I know but if it can start the prostate/PSA cells circulating can it do the same for any PCa cells

Just a thought

Bri

User
Posted 09 May 2014 at 06:53
Hi Bri,

Lyn has once again sorted out your immediate problem👼 and I am going to take it a step further💡

I was in the Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers for 30 odd years🔫 so I will be bringing my toolkit to leicester🔨🔧

Firstly I will remove your hat, which as a northerner you will invariably be wearing👎 then with a wooden mallet you will get a sharp tap on the bonce😳 This will release your inbuilt worry cells letting them free to explore the outside world✈️ Another slight tap will induce an everlasting feeling of calm and serinity with all being right in the world😍

Finally with my hacksaw I will cut✂️ the worry beads from your wrist setting you free🔓to get on with your life stress free😴

Well that's given me an excuse to play with this exciting new (to me) world of funnies. On a serious note though I understand that you want to do everything possible to prevent the PCa coming back but you still have to live a normal life. If one did a risk assessment every time you were about to go out and took it seriously the door would never open. This is the same with PCa, what if I did this, what if I ate / drank this. Fine up to a point but as my slogan says "life is for living". You are in a good place at the moment and hopefully will stay that way, enjoy life for what it gives stop the what ifs.

Lecture over...🎓 .....well not quite, have you noticed my mentioning my coming to Leicester .....this is the first time I have dared say that since being diagnosed as terminal back in March.....my chains are off, cruise next week, then Leicester next port of call.

Life is for living

Barry (alias Barrington )

PS I assume you won't be cycling to Leicester 🚲

Edited by member 09 May 2014 at 07:00  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 May 2014 at 23:29
PSA is not cancer cells. PSA in the blood stream is different to prostate cancer cells floating around your body. And it isn't the action of cycling (or any other exercise) that makes the PSA rise; it is the saddle pressing on the gland which some believe has a similar effect to prostate massage.

The issue with cycling is limited entirely to the 48 hours before a PSA test as the pressure of the saddle may produce a misleading result. So the exact opposite of your question is true Bri - cycling may lead someone to think that there are lingering cells where there are none.

There is an exception to the 48 hours thing. New research suggests that very keen cyclists (daily commuters, competitive riders) may live with a constantly raised PSA and be subjected to unnecessary biopsies by doctors that are unaware of the link. I think it was Chris Eden who published on this.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 May 2014 at 20:31
It's something that occurred to me also and I would be interested to know the answer to. Does the action of riding the bike just cause the PSA to rise or help cancer cells to move? Would jogging, running or jumping not have a similar effect?
Barry
User
Posted 08 May 2014 at 22:47
Hi Bri,

Taking it a step further you would never have sex again either😹

At some point we all have to put these issues aside and get back to normality and remember that ....

Life is for living, and that includes riding a bike🚲

User
Posted 08 May 2014 at 23:20
I realise that TG but if there are some things that can be avoided which won't effect quality of life I'm up for that

Actually my original post was probably wrong as I'm sure PSA is something produced by cells and not a cell itself or is it. But the question stands can cycling or indeed jogging have an impact on residual PCa cells

Bri

User
Posted 08 May 2014 at 23:29
PSA is not cancer cells. PSA in the blood stream is different to prostate cancer cells floating around your body. And it isn't the action of cycling (or any other exercise) that makes the PSA rise; it is the saddle pressing on the gland which some believe has a similar effect to prostate massage.

The issue with cycling is limited entirely to the 48 hours before a PSA test as the pressure of the saddle may produce a misleading result. So the exact opposite of your question is true Bri - cycling may lead someone to think that there are lingering cells where there are none.

There is an exception to the 48 hours thing. New research suggests that very keen cyclists (daily commuters, competitive riders) may live with a constantly raised PSA and be subjected to unnecessary biopsies by doctors that are unaware of the link. I think it was Chris Eden who published on this.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 May 2014 at 06:53
Hi Bri,

Lyn has once again sorted out your immediate problem👼 and I am going to take it a step further💡

I was in the Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers for 30 odd years🔫 so I will be bringing my toolkit to leicester🔨🔧

Firstly I will remove your hat, which as a northerner you will invariably be wearing👎 then with a wooden mallet you will get a sharp tap on the bonce😳 This will release your inbuilt worry cells letting them free to explore the outside world✈️ Another slight tap will induce an everlasting feeling of calm and serinity with all being right in the world😍

Finally with my hacksaw I will cut✂️ the worry beads from your wrist setting you free🔓to get on with your life stress free😴

Well that's given me an excuse to play with this exciting new (to me) world of funnies. On a serious note though I understand that you want to do everything possible to prevent the PCa coming back but you still have to live a normal life. If one did a risk assessment every time you were about to go out and took it seriously the door would never open. This is the same with PCa, what if I did this, what if I ate / drank this. Fine up to a point but as my slogan says "life is for living". You are in a good place at the moment and hopefully will stay that way, enjoy life for what it gives stop the what ifs.

Lecture over...🎓 .....well not quite, have you noticed my mentioning my coming to Leicester .....this is the first time I have dared say that since being diagnosed as terminal back in March.....my chains are off, cruise next week, then Leicester next port of call.

Life is for living

PS I assume you won't be cycling to Leicester 🚲

Edited by member 09 May 2014 at 07:00  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 May 2014 at 12:06
Further to Bri's original post, could I just clarify something please?

Before surgery it is advised to abstain from certain activities for 48 hours before having a PSA blood test (eg riding a bike). The reason for this is that some activities can increase PSA levels and this would give a false reading.

Does the same principle still apply after surgery and even though there is no longer a prostate? I ask this because I am due to have my PSA blood test today. I have refrained from riding a bike etc during the last 48 hours but am I being strict for nothing? I just didn't want to take any chances in getting a false reading.

Apologies for hijacking Bri's thread but it is related to the same subject.

Kind regards.

TG - wishing you a wonderful holiday.

User
Posted 09 May 2014 at 17:55
I've stuck to the same routine with PSA testing. First thing in a morning, no sex for 48 hours etc etc.

TG please believe me I'm not worried. It's just cos I'm back in the gym. My normal routine included a few vigorous miles on the bike. But thought it worth checking out cos as u say it's something I can rule out at no great loss and crack on with the cross trainer (that's gym equipment and not a disgruntled coach) and treadmill.

If you come near me with an hammer I'll set mi whippet on thee siree.

By the way you will be at Leicester. I was hoping you'd bring your pink scooter so I could have a go :)

User
Posted 09 May 2014 at 18:39

Thought you had your prostate removed Bri http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif

So it's hardly going to apply to you is it ?

For R/T - Cryo or HIFU  cases there is tissue left so agitation could theoretically stir up some psa.

User
Posted 09 May 2014 at 19:45
I did Rob but theoretically I had some tissue left as I had a positive margin. As I say just thought I would query it.

Bri