I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Giving blood - psa ,everyone

User
Posted 08 May 2014 at 08:17

DH goes to give blood to the PSA cause today which got me thinking about blood donation. 

He had to stop after 47 donations and I stopped after 10 (fainting fit).  It is still one of the best things we have done and I would encourage anyone to give a blood donation if they can.

PCa sufferers are not eligible- giving enough blood away already.  http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-money-mouth.gif 

It is much easier than Dr Pixie made it look on Channel 4 last week.http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-money-mouth.gif

User
Posted 08 May 2014 at 21:03
What is needed is to get more young people to donate blood before other diseases and certain drugs taken rule this out. My blood was particularly welcome as I am rhesus negative 'O' but was of limited use after I had Malaria, then was not wanted at all after I was prescribed drugs for other things which is increasingly likely as we grow older. Didn't know tattoos ruled out being a donor and thereby limit eligibility, probably not occurring to those about to be 'inked' either.
Barry
User
Posted 25 Aug 2014 at 09:34
after tattoo you can not give blood for a year but after that its fine
User
Posted 25 Aug 2014 at 10:08
I'm gutted I can't give blood anymore. I've given for 15 years.

I agree on the tattoo craze. It's not just young folks, I've got several friends of a similar vintage to myself & older who made conscious decisions to park donation for 12months and have that tattoo.

A personal choice I suppose and they seem more popular these days with the ladies too.

A great post this one. Lots to think About for when I'm recovered in persuading those able to take our places in the donation room.

I'll miss the tea n biscuits too, not to mention the lovely staff who treated us all like gold.

God bless them all.

Life's a Marathon. Run in peace.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 May 2014 at 11:03
Last time I commented on Blood Donations I was commented on.

Yes, it would be better for the Blood Service if more of the population donated, but it doesn't help with the craze for TATTOOS which rules out donating. I managed the equivalent of 206 donations, (you get 2 points for Plasma, and 4 for Platelets).

Chris.
User
Posted 08 May 2014 at 15:50
Well done!
User
Posted 08 May 2014 at 21:03
What is needed is to get more young people to donate blood before other diseases and certain drugs taken rule this out. My blood was particularly welcome as I am rhesus negative 'O' but was of limited use after I had Malaria, then was not wanted at all after I was prescribed drugs for other things which is increasingly likely as we grow older. Didn't know tattoos ruled out being a donor and thereby limit eligibility, probably not occurring to those about to be 'inked' either.
Barry
User
Posted 24 Aug 2014 at 23:04
The question of giving blood if Tattooed is news to me, I always used to give blood until the drugs that I take for a heart problem stopped me from doing so. Perhaps this information should be given to those about to be tattooed by the tattooist and displayed prominently in the tattoo parlour.
User
Posted 25 Aug 2014 at 07:47
Hi

My recollection of the rule for giving blood when someone has a tattoo is that there is only a restriction on donations for a short period after your last tattoo.

The advice from the NHS on the blood transfusion website says: you should not donate blood if:

“You've had a tattoo, semi-permanent make up or any cosmetic treatment that involves skin piercing in the last 4 months.”

http://www.blood.co.uk/giving-blood/who-cant-give-blood/

Alan
User
Posted 25 Aug 2014 at 09:16
Thanks for the clarification Alan, I was only going from memory from when I donated, I stopped in 2002 when the French stopped taking UK blood because of BSE !

Chris.
User
Posted 25 Aug 2014 at 09:34
after tattoo you can not give blood for a year but after that its fine
User
Posted 25 Aug 2014 at 10:08
I'm gutted I can't give blood anymore. I've given for 15 years.

I agree on the tattoo craze. It's not just young folks, I've got several friends of a similar vintage to myself & older who made conscious decisions to park donation for 12months and have that tattoo.

A personal choice I suppose and they seem more popular these days with the ladies too.

A great post this one. Lots to think About for when I'm recovered in persuading those able to take our places in the donation room.

I'll miss the tea n biscuits too, not to mention the lovely staff who treated us all like gold.

God bless them all.

Life's a Marathon. Run in peace.
User
Posted 04 Apr 2018 at 16:18

I started giving blood in 1975 when I was 18. Today would have been my 99th donation but, of course, I'm unable to give any longer so I'll never get to the magical 100. Don't suppose it matters very much in the grand scheme of things but then again ask a batsman what he feels like when he's out two short of his century.

So far, this is the one thing that has really annoyed me, apart from the seven months it took to diagnose me. However, I haven't stated treatment yet.