I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Just diagnosed? Be an empowered patient

User
Posted 11 May 2014 at 09:24

Cancer is a devastating diagnosis to have. Prostate cancer is usually diagnosed when you are well over your sixties, but unfortunately more and more young men (in their fifties, even in their forties) are being diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. There are two key words to keep in mind:

1.-An early diagnosis may be a life saver

2.-An empowered patient, taking active part in his treatment, may be the road to a cure or, if not possible, may be the key to make his prostate cancer a chronic and manageable disease.

Hope, an active role, knowledge and networking are the tools you are going to need in this long journey you may be about to embark upon. Never ever give up.

Signature: This suspense is terrible. I hope it will last.
User
Posted 13 May 2014 at 19:42

Thank you all very much for your comments and for your welcome.It's surprising to notice though that Mr. B. Pitt is a prostate sufferer.

As for Empowerment, we never should get tired of advising PCa patients to try and take control of their treament and decisions, no matter how uncomfortable their doctors may feel about that.

As for testing, then prevention, I would like to start a new conversation on that topic soon enough. I am really angry about recent testing policies and I would like to pluck your feelings about that.

As for my signature, I appreciate very much your insights about it, and I appreciate that Larry even surfed on Mr. Wilde's quotes to learn more. But I am sorry to announce that I am going to change it. Stay tuned...http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

(A little humour should be a 3 times per day prescription for any cancer patient). And excuse my English: it's noticeably not my mother tongue. Best regards.

User
Posted 11 May 2014 at 18:47
The suspense is terrible. I hope it will last. That does sound strange when first seen, however when one really thinks about , it really makes sense. When we are diagnosed with PCa then it's a life of continuous suspense, waiting for PSA results , wondering if the treatments are working etc etc, it's a state of suspense throughout when the suspense ends generally we have been extinguished. As with everything there will be some who can ignore the suspense but most will live in suspense.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 11 May 2014 at 11:30
Sorry I don't understand this message especially the last sentence.

"This suspense is terrible. I hope it will last".............?????????????

Life is for living

Barry (alias Barrington )

User
Posted 11 May 2014 at 11:42

Hi, Topgun.

"This suspense is terrible. I hope it will last" is a quote from your writer Oscar Wilde. I think it may very well serve as inspiration in the prostate cancer world : we are all in suspense once diagnosed. The longer the suspense, the longer our suvival.

Anything else you don't understand in my message? I would be glad to clarify it.

Best regards.

User
Posted 11 May 2014 at 16:24
Hi,

Whilst I can understand where you are coming from, for some, the suspense from not knowing their next treatment path, waiting (in suspense) for their next PSA test results etc. etc. is in fact one of the worse things about this disease. As you or Oscar Wilde says "the suspense is terrible" ....I, for one, certainly wouldn't want it to last.

Great to see that your PSA is now undetectable with a Gleason of 4+4 you have done very well and being off HT for 3 years is excellent news, well done.

Life is for living

User
Posted 11 May 2014 at 17:05

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Hi,
the suspense from not knowing their next treatment path, waiting (in suspense) for their next PSA test results etc. etc. is in fact one of the worse things about this disease.

So is Cancer, a terrible disease. As long as we are kept in suspense it means we are fighting and alive. What is life if not suspense, anyway?

Furthermore, isn't it the favourite anwser of any oncologist when you ask them how long have you got left that "you may be well run over by a truck before you die from cancer condition"? Isn't it a big deal of suspense every time you cross the street thanks to that foolish answer? http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

I would say you haven't done bad either. Congratulations.

User
Posted 11 May 2014 at 18:47
The suspense is terrible. I hope it will last. That does sound strange when first seen, however when one really thinks about , it really makes sense. When we are diagnosed with PCa then it's a life of continuous suspense, waiting for PSA results , wondering if the treatments are working etc etc, it's a state of suspense throughout when the suspense ends generally we have been extinguished. As with everything there will be some who can ignore the suspense but most will live in suspense.
User
Posted 13 May 2014 at 01:00
There is also a saying, "the suspense is killing me". We know from members of the forum how badly some of them have been affected by long waits for diagnosis, treatments and various results. Why would one wish to perpetuate such a situation? I would prefer to have answers asap. Sometimes when given the news is not as bad as contemplated thereby reducing a period of great concern. If news is bad, at least you know where you stand and possibly early mitigating measures can be considered.
Barry
User
Posted 13 May 2014 at 07:38
I think we should focus on this guys positive journey which is quite inspiring rather than his chosen signature. His advice is spot on also

Thanks

Bri

User
Posted 13 May 2014 at 08:40
Hi Bri,

Don't faint but I agree about his remarkable recovery and I did say as much in my 2nd posting. As for his "signature" I obviously did not realise from his 1st post that it is his signature block but like Man with PC I can not agree with it.

I fully understand where he is coming from and we shouldn't take it too literally but I know the sheer worry that men and probably even more so their partners go through waiting for results etc....yes indeed the suspense is terrible as you yourself know, for it to be everlasting Is a step too far......remember Life is for living, you can't do that if you are held in suspense for evermore.

Having said that yes his original advise is spot on and I'm sure that following his own advice has helped to get him in the great situation he finds himself in now and one can only say well done and long may you enjoy being PCa free.

Life is for living (stress free)

User
Posted 13 May 2014 at 12:45
I am not sure we should really be dissecting someone's chosen quote in this way. It is a personal signature like everyone else's!

I think thoughit is a great choice and I think expresses something fundamental about our collective struggles. This is not to be taken literally -it is not about the daily uncertainty and delays of treatment and results but more the uncertainty which cancer creates in our life cycle. If, like me, you have an incurable diagnosis, it is always a question of when not if. We cannot put a time on it, and in that sense it is always in suspense, and whilst it says there, we live on. I think this is what the quote is trying to convey and I like that.

It was also used by Gene Wilder in Willy Wonka when the big boy was stuck in the chocolate tube?

Anyway welcome to our forum and thanks for presenting a challenging thought!

User
Posted 13 May 2014 at 13:41
Augustus Gloop
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 13 May 2014 at 13:56
Cano,s signature inspired me to look up Oscar Wilde,s quotes some immediately hit you with out having to think about them, others are a little more challenging and require a little thought. He made many great quotes and they can inspire you, some are like his plays and have to be seriously considered. Looking at Cano,s profile I must admit it's inspiring so many people will find comfort in reading his profile.

He has done great and congrats to him and thanks for joining us, am sure he has the knowledge to post some excellent posts for our benefit, looking forward to his contributions in the future.

User
Posted 13 May 2014 at 18:04
Totally agree. In fact if anyone tried they could interpret others signatures in a number of ways.

Bri

User
Posted 13 May 2014 at 19:42

Thank you all very much for your comments and for your welcome.It's surprising to notice though that Mr. B. Pitt is a prostate sufferer.

As for Empowerment, we never should get tired of advising PCa patients to try and take control of their treament and decisions, no matter how uncomfortable their doctors may feel about that.

As for testing, then prevention, I would like to start a new conversation on that topic soon enough. I am really angry about recent testing policies and I would like to pluck your feelings about that.

As for my signature, I appreciate very much your insights about it, and I appreciate that Larry even surfed on Mr. Wilde's quotes to learn more. But I am sorry to announce that I am going to change it. Stay tuned...http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

(A little humour should be a 3 times per day prescription for any cancer patient). And excuse my English: it's noticeably not my mother tongue. Best regards.

User
Posted 13 Jun 2014 at 19:01

A little humour three times a day....hear, hear to that!