Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Feeling frustrated

User
Posted 14 May 2014 at 19:23

Hello everyone,

I attended my pre op assessment today..... feeling frustrated and a little low at the moment...

Bottom line is,  I have high blood pressure......... No doctor present to give a judgement and so have to wait for a phone call tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure that they won't proceed with surgery at present.

I'm trying to get to see my GP tomorrow ( some hope of that methinks ) Either way I'll need some treatment for the high BP....

I feel that over  10 weeks waiting around have been wasted, and now am considering going down the Radiotherapy route rather than risk being refused surgery if my BP is up when I'm admitted to hospital.

At least that way I will be getting treatment without having to wait for the BP to lower...

Any thoughts or advice would be welcome...

Many Thanks

Edited by moderator 15 May 2014 at 10:46  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 May 2014 at 08:31

Luther, I have high blood pressure which is controlled by medication, I had a RP last Thursday it was not an issue, in fact I was told not to take any BP medications for a few days (4) after the op, For some reason your PB drops, cant remember why, but a week on and I feel fine apart from recovering from the RP, I just had to monitor the BP and it slowly began to rise after a few days so went back on the meds...

User
Posted 15 May 2014 at 08:45

Luther, I'm sure a phone call later will put your mind at rest,....

Keep positive my friend. Sid.

What matters is not the years in your life, but the life in your years!
User
Posted 15 May 2014 at 16:55
Hi Luther,

Do you have high BP all the time, is this a medical condition or is it/was it affected by stressful situations or anxiety?

I am not at all medically qualified so take what I say with a pinch of salt. But, I have had high BP and I lowered it by reducing consumption of coffee, down from 12 or more cups per dray to less than 5 usually, and beers.

Also when I went for my operation and my BP was taken they were contemplating sending me home as it was so high. I had been taking my BP every day for several weeks and produced these records showing that usually it was around normal. I thought and the med profs agreed that the idea of major surgery that day might be likely to raise it, so my op went ahead.

Other things you might consider to try to combat raised BP is to get to an appointment super-early, thus alleviating worrying about arriving on time. Also, arriving early allows any anxiety caused by the travelling itself to dissipate. And when the BP is taken, sit stretched out without arms or legs folded, apparently this also works.

If you have a BP problem it is better to find out pre-op rather than on the table though.

ATB

Dave

User
Posted 15 May 2014 at 18:02
Aha. Sounds like you will be okay. "White Coat Syndrome" or "WCS", another abbreviation to add to the list.

Good luck with the monitoring. And do remember, try to relaaaaaaaaaaaaax!

Dave

User
Posted 09 Jun 2014 at 20:46

Hi Luther,...

I hope all go's well on Thursday,... will be thinking of you.

We are all here to support you, even if it's only in words, but they can help sometimes, just like your namesake,...

" I have a dream! " ..... Sid.

User
Posted 10 Jun 2014 at 17:53

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi Luther,...

We are all here to support you, even if it's only in words, but they can help sometimes, just like your namesake,...

Hi Sid,

I've not been on here for a while.....

Many thanks for your good wishes for Thursday....

Going to be an early start... got a taxi picking me up at 5.30 am to drive me the 70 miles to Bristol...

My admission time is 0700hrs.... but at least I can have a snooze for a few hours in the operating theatre http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

Hope you are continuing to make good progresshttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

User
Posted 10 Jun 2014 at 18:08
Best wishes for Thursday - hope it goes really well
User
Posted 10 Jun 2014 at 18:57
Hope all goes well. Relax - don't worry - you'll be in safe hands.
Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 10 Jun 2014 at 20:22

It will be over in a jiffy. Look forward to the cup of tea and little packet of custard creams when you come round. I can't remember now whether it was the custard creams or the morphine that I got the greatest kick out off....

Good luck

User
Posted 10 Jun 2014 at 20:40
Good luck for Thursday mate

Bri

User
Posted 14 Jun 2014 at 15:07
glad it went well was thinking of you

it does take approx 4 weeks to grow the cultures from the cells they take so im told

we found out pauls results before seeing consultant by speaking to urology nurse but she wasn't meant to

we were told 6 weeks before we saw consultant then it was going to be 10 weeks which was just too long so pushed for answers

hope all goes well with your TWOC

and the road to continence

if it helps paul had open surgery and as of today 3 weeks after TWOC he is dry at night

no pad yesterday or so far today

User
Posted 15 Jun 2014 at 19:58

Pleased it went well I had RP 31/03/14 I too had lymph nodes taken on one side and also nerves saved one side, never got used to the little catheter bag though lol hated it, when it was taken out 10 days later was like winning the lottery. I am now down to 1 pad a day also getting erections, results last friday PSA undetectable no cancer in nodes, good luck going forward.

Frank

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 15 May 2014 at 08:31

Luther, I have high blood pressure which is controlled by medication, I had a RP last Thursday it was not an issue, in fact I was told not to take any BP medications for a few days (4) after the op, For some reason your PB drops, cant remember why, but a week on and I feel fine apart from recovering from the RP, I just had to monitor the BP and it slowly began to rise after a few days so went back on the meds...

User
Posted 15 May 2014 at 08:45

Luther, I'm sure a phone call later will put your mind at rest,....

Keep positive my friend. Sid.

User
Posted 15 May 2014 at 16:55
Hi Luther,

Do you have high BP all the time, is this a medical condition or is it/was it affected by stressful situations or anxiety?

I am not at all medically qualified so take what I say with a pinch of salt. But, I have had high BP and I lowered it by reducing consumption of coffee, down from 12 or more cups per dray to less than 5 usually, and beers.

Also when I went for my operation and my BP was taken they were contemplating sending me home as it was so high. I had been taking my BP every day for several weeks and produced these records showing that usually it was around normal. I thought and the med profs agreed that the idea of major surgery that day might be likely to raise it, so my op went ahead.

Other things you might consider to try to combat raised BP is to get to an appointment super-early, thus alleviating worrying about arriving on time. Also, arriving early allows any anxiety caused by the travelling itself to dissipate. And when the BP is taken, sit stretched out without arms or legs folded, apparently this also works.

If you have a BP problem it is better to find out pre-op rather than on the table though.

ATB

Dave

User
Posted 15 May 2014 at 17:49

Hello again folks,

Thanks for your replies ...

Latest news on my BP saga is that today I rang my GP and told him the story..... He's not convinced that I have consistently high blood pressure that would warrant postponing surgery and wants me to keep a daily record of my BP readings taken on my monitor at home.....

Meantime he has prescribed some tablets that will help lower BP and hopefully they will take effect within a week or so and alleviate my fears.

I've had a call from the nurse who did my pre op assessment and she wants me  to take BP readings over the weekend

She will call me on Monday for my results...... she wants to check if it's a case of 'white coat syndrome '... Providing my readings are 'within limits' I will get the OK for surgery... 

So I'm hoping my readings will be within limits... We shall see...

User
Posted 15 May 2014 at 18:02
Aha. Sounds like you will be okay. "White Coat Syndrome" or "WCS", another abbreviation to add to the list.

Good luck with the monitoring. And do remember, try to relaaaaaaaaaaaaax!

Dave

User
Posted 19 May 2014 at 20:10

Hi folks,

Just a quick up date regarding my BP....

I was instructed to keep a record of my BP readings on my home monitor over the weekend.....

The hospital rang this afternoon for the results....... I'm happy to say my BP readings were well within any limits set, and were nowhere near the readings that were recorded at my pre op assessment.

I can only assume that it was a case of 'White Coat Hypertension'..... although I felt that I was relaxed at the time, it was evident that was not the case! 
Bottom line is, I now at long last have a date for my surgery ( 12-06-2014 ) http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

Thank you all for your replies...

User
Posted 19 May 2014 at 22:24
Excellent news.

dave

User
Posted 21 May 2014 at 10:08

great news Luther!...http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif... Sid.

User
Posted 09 Jun 2014 at 20:46

Hi Luther,...

User
Posted 10 Jun 2014 at 17:53

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi Luther,...

Hi Sid,

I've not been on here for a while.....

Many thanks for your good wishes for Thursday....

Going to be an early start... got a taxi picking me up at 5.30 am to drive me the 70 miles to Bristol...

My admission time is 0700hrs.... but at least I can have a snooze for a few hours in the operating theatre http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

Hope you are continuing to make good progresshttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

User
Posted 10 Jun 2014 at 18:08
Best wishes for Thursday - hope it goes really well
User
Posted 10 Jun 2014 at 18:57
Hope all goes well. Relax - don't worry - you'll be in safe hands.
Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 10 Jun 2014 at 20:22

It will be over in a jiffy. Look forward to the cup of tea and little packet of custard creams when you come round. I can't remember now whether it was the custard creams or the morphine that I got the greatest kick out off....

Good luck

User
Posted 10 Jun 2014 at 20:40
Good luck for Thursday mate

Bri

User
Posted 10 Jun 2014 at 20:53

Thanks guys for all your good wishes...

I'm feeling quite laid back about my forthcoming op  at the moment....

That may well have changed by tomorrow night though.... http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif

I'll keep you all posted regarding my progress... 

User
Posted 14 Jun 2014 at 13:38

Hello Guys,

Just to keep you up to speed with my progress....

Robotic surgery was carried out as planned on Thursday ( 12- 06 -14 ) and I was discharged 24 hours later..

The procedure went well ......nerves were spared on one side.... but lymph nodes were removed as a precaution 

TWOC is planned for 2 weeks time....

Full histology report  will be in 8 weeks when I go back to see the surgeon... PSA test to be taken before that visit. ..... Not quite sure why it takes 8 weeks for results to be made known to me..... maybe I should speak to someone about it meantime?

I'm now getting used to my little catheter bag that seems to be  following me everywhere..... http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

User
Posted 14 Jun 2014 at 15:07
glad it went well was thinking of you

it does take approx 4 weeks to grow the cultures from the cells they take so im told

we found out pauls results before seeing consultant by speaking to urology nurse but she wasn't meant to

we were told 6 weeks before we saw consultant then it was going to be 10 weeks which was just too long so pushed for answers

hope all goes well with your TWOC

and the road to continence

if it helps paul had open surgery and as of today 3 weeks after TWOC he is dry at night

no pad yesterday or so far today

User
Posted 15 Jun 2014 at 19:58

Pleased it went well I had RP 31/03/14 I too had lymph nodes taken on one side and also nerves saved one side, never got used to the little catheter bag though lol hated it, when it was taken out 10 days later was like winning the lottery. I am now down to 1 pad a day also getting erections, results last friday PSA undetectable no cancer in nodes, good luck going forward.

Frank

User
Posted 18 Jun 2014 at 11:42

Hello you!...

Hope all is well with your body, no hiccups, coping with el catheter? watching footy? Can you see England winning a game? Do you care?

How bored are you? Shall we make up 10 things you can do with a catheter in?...... Anyway look after yourself,... http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif... Sid.

User
Posted 18 Jun 2014 at 13:06

Hi Sid,

Yep!...... Doing OK so far  thanks....

Not sure which is worse, the catheter or watching the footy! 

I'm pondering on the idea of putting a couple of goldfish in me leg bag so that I have something interesting to watch meantime... http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif

Hope you're continuing to make good progress... http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif