I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Why does PSA rise when Prostate is removed

User
Posted 16 May 2014 at 12:40

This may seem a stupid question but please bear with me as I can not find the answer anywhere.

PSA is a substance produced almost exclusively by certain cells within the prostate gland (from a reference on the net)

This being the case, if the cancer spreads out of the prostate and the gland has been removed why does the PSA still rise? So for example it metastisises in to the bone why would the PSA rise? Would this not be a bone cancer and therefore have different markers?

User
Posted 16 May 2014 at 13:31
Interesting question and I'd like to know the answer,I'm just wondering if prostate cancer was the primary cancer,then do the cancer cell's else where retain the prostate cell's identity,which is why we still have a PSA test after removal.
User
Posted 16 May 2014 at 18:41
Jassy, the cancer cells aren't a different type to the rest of the cells in your prostate, they are the same cells gone crazy. If you get mets to the bone it is still prostate cancer NOT bone cancer. So the cells that had distorted and gone off round your body to look for a new home still act like they are in the prostate because that is what they are programmed to do. More and more clusters of cells thinking they are growing a prostate even though they are in the liver, bones, lymph system generate more and more protein hence the PSA rises. The exception seems to be when the cancer cells become highly active (as in Topgun's case perhaps) and instead of producing more protein they actually stop bothering because they are attempting to take over the world and need all their energy to multiply.

Sometimes we get men here diagnosed with another type of cancer and they have biopsies to determine whether it is a new primary cancer or whether it is a secondary (mets) from the prostate. When they put the cells under a microscope they can tell the difference which is important if you have two cancers which need two different types of treatment.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 May 2014 at 20:09
Thanks Lynn

That means the definition I posted is not strictly true as it is the cells that create the levels of antigen and not the gland, although of course the gland is made from the cells.

Tony

User
Posted 16 May 2014 at 21:15
Tony the definition you posted says 'produced by cells in the gland' ????
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 May 2014 at 21:56
Well done Lynn, how do you know all this ,were you a Dr in a previous life? Bezzie x
User
Posted 16 May 2014 at 22:08

Sorry Lynn, as the Americans say "my bad"http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif

User
Posted 17 May 2014 at 00:17

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Well done Lynn, how do you know all this ,were you a Dr in a previous life? Bezzie x

No Dee, but I am doing my homework in case I get to be one in my next life http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-money-mouth.gif

User
Posted 17 May 2014 at 20:39
Well Lyn , in order to help you achieve your ambition in medicine, you could begin by accepting my offer as my new E/D nurse. Only trying to help, honest. Diesel x
User
Posted 17 May 2014 at 23:08
Well done Lyn, my French onco. just said that the cells are travelling all round the body looking for somewhere to stop and cause havoc when I asked her why my PSA kept rising after having surgery, RT and chemo !

Huge HUGS to you all.

Chris. xxxx

User
Posted 30 May 2014 at 02:25

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Well Lyn , in order to help you achieve your ambition in medicine, you could begin by accepting my offer as my new E/D nurse. Only trying to help, honest. Diesel x

Ha, ha, ha. I have only just seen this - must have missed it in the big change-over! Not sure I would make a good nurse as I have no empathy but if I ever need a new job I'll let you know :-0

Lyn x