I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Pfizer'sLatest Bid for AZ

User
Posted 18 May 2014 at 23:32

This seems the most appropriate place to discuss the new bid of £55 per share.  

Although I feel that this bid should be rejected on the basis that competing companies are more likely to come up with solutions in their research, where different paths are taken, rather than one path by a large company, does anyone know the relative records of the 2 companies on PCa research and development of treatments in particular?

Am I right in believing the AZ board should reject this bid?  Bad for high tech British jobs, bad for R and D, and bad in reducing competition.

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 20 May 2014 at 00:33
Understand the latest offer of £55 per share has been rejected by the AZ board but mainly because they feel offer is still too low. AZ share price has consequently dropped and not surprisingly many of its shareholders are disgruntled because the share price is their overriding interest. AZ are said to be making good progress in developing new drugs (not aware whether any of these will benefit PCa sufferers), which should be available in the next 3-5 years and having the patent on these would be of great benefit to Pfizer. Pfizer has a history of asset stripping and it has been argued by some of the researchers that the introduction of new drugs could be delayed whilst a policy of rationalization would be implemented following acquisition. This would also mean the likely loss of some jobs of highly skilled scientists and researches in a vital area. I would have thought that purchasers of drugs for the NHS are more likely to get a better deal on drugs from AZ than if they had to negotiate with an American company. Some struggling British companies badly needed inward investment to re-equip, and modernise, Jaguar being an example. But AZ are doing very well and don't need to be rescued. So yes, from a national point of view, like many I think the take over would be against our interest. If AZ had been a French company their Government would not permit it being taken over and in this case the UK Government should veto it due to AZ being of vital national interest.
Barry