I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

New member ; from diagnoses to post op. - from diagnoses to post op thoughts

User
Posted 20 May 2014 at 18:36

I'm male and 72 years old and physically  fit.

Not quite sure how this all works ,though I spent some time reading forums for information pre op. ; so time to put something back in . Sitting at computer  a bit uncomfortable at moment so this is probably the brief first  of a number of posts.

In brief ,after about 3/4 years of PSA monitoring GP decided to examine me and found a raised area on the prostate, referred me for test and biopsy in Jan 14 showed cancer cells (gleeson scale 3+4 ) so not too high and still contained within the prostate .

The consultant urologist recommended action rather than active monitoring and I decided this was the best idea . Of the alternatives , and I will post more detail, I decided on surgery but the time it was taking to get hold of the various consultants to discuss things with them led me to pay one of them for a private consultation which was an excellent move though not cheap at £250.

A week ago last friday ,the 9th I was operated on and have now been home for a week and I'll post more detail of the op and post op. on my next mail.

Its been some time since I read any of the forums and I'm not sure if this fits the patern but I'll keep checking things out in case anyone wants something specific .

hope to be of some help . Micknick

User
Posted 22 May 2014 at 09:10
How are you doing?Have you had your catheter out yet?

Hilary

User
Posted 24 May 2014 at 20:06

Second Post for those about to have op:  Thanks for your reply Hilary where are you in the process ? Yes had catheter out day before yesterday. Not sure what I expected but it was a bit of a shock when after the process and bladder scan had happened and I was walking out of the hospital I realized I was peeing myself with no control and whilst I was wearing a hefty pad it's a feeling that takes some getting used to if you are at this stage. Two days later and I'm starting to get the hang of living with it doing pelvic floor exercises like mad . I've found that when you've finished peeing in the toilet it's a very good time to do the exercises  because you it helps clear the bladder and any dribbles the exercise produces go down the loo.

Bit more about the op. There is an option for the consultants to choose pain relief that you'll receive and its something worth talking about pre op  I think ; anyway I woke up hooked up to something called a morphine pump and during the following twelve hours I remember very little except the feeling that I felt so good that I would probably be up and about the next day, make the most of it ! A nurse I know said before I went in that the process of recovery from a serious op is always very up and down and she was correct. I found that in the days immediately  following I could feel very good one hour and really grotty the next .I would say, don't feel you can fight it but go with the flow and definitely ask for help from nurses at every turn ;its the way to make some progress through those days.

I'm now two weeks and two days post op and every day feel a bit more comfortable , being able to get up from a chair with the minimum of discomfort is remarkably satisfying though personally I find that my underneath bits are still quite swollen and achy so this is he end of this post . 

Will post some more bout pre op choices and process next time.

micknick

User
Posted 24 May 2014 at 20:20
We are 10 days ahead of you.

Sean has started driving this week and even came into town and then a busy asda shop,today.

His recovery has so far been good and every day the continence is better.We tend to set doable targets for the day.

No pain relief was needed after day 5.

He is now talking about going back to work, albeit probably half days to start with(business consultant)

He is now down to 3/4 pads a day.

Still has a nap in the afternoon, depending on how busy we have been.

Looking forward to getting rid of the teds on tuesday and then no more injections!(athough I will quite miss doing them!)

User
Posted 24 May 2014 at 21:06
Welcome to the site and good to hear its going so well. I haven't had your experience (G9 and bone mets limits the options!) but you sound to be recovering very well. Many others will be able to offer advice if you get stuck on anything.
User
Posted 25 May 2014 at 08:54
Hi micknick, good to hear that the op is behind you, now you can start to recover and heal.

Don't worry about how you post or what sequence, etc, whatever you put up will be of help to others and enable some of us to compare notes with you on what we had done to us. You account of the day following the op with being up and down and all over the place resonates with me.

Good luck

dave

User
Posted 28 May 2014 at 17:26
Post three : Thanks for responses and hilary thanks for yours particularly . Its now two weeks and 5 days post op and 6 days post catheter removal. progress is occurring and you develop techniques to use with the pelvic floor contactions. What are the 'teds' hilary and did Sean have keyhole or open surgery. I have just finished injections and had four in hosp and came home with14 so only 18 in total but that was my consultants opinion. My local authority doesn't prescribe pads until someone has been incontinent for three mnths so I've just started buying them. I was discharged with some Tena 2's ,which are not adequate really , some Tenna Super which I use at night, and have started using Abri man Formula two which are a bit more substantial and hold more during the day.

IA bit more re pre op stuff for those at the post diagnoses point.There seemed to be 4 treatment alternatives ; open surgery , laprascopic surgery , robotic surgery or radio therapy with hormone therapy pre the treatment . There is a enormous amount on line including the American stuff which you can't help feeling is more about encouraging their customers to come to them rather than giving objective information. What there is not is information about the consultants and their approach and success rates. The only alternative is to get to talk to them and that proved a long drawn out process which was why I paid to see one in the end though shortly afterwards I got appointments with a local surgeon and consultant radiologist . There is no alternative when seeing them but to ask them point blank to describe their success and failure rate , why it occurs and what their thinking is. Its an unfamiliar attitude to take to a doctor but they all responded positively and I think it's right to do it and gives you some confidence.There seems a laid back attitude towards someone who has a low level of result echoing my Gp's comment that most men die with this condition but comparatively few die from it . This I think means you have to push if you feel you want to geton sort this out otherwise it will just drift .I've spoken to someone who drifted for over a year so its worth while being aware of this ; depending how you personaly feel about it. I think thats about enough for one post. will continue in post 4.

Hope some of this is useful. Micknick

User
Posted 09 Jun 2014 at 16:01

hi micknick

my husband paul had his op the same day as you

was meant to have robotic but ended up with open due to his pelvic region being to small (something we only found out after 4 days due to change of nursing staff)

he came out of hospital on the 14th may and had catheter removed on 28th may

so far so good he is dry at night and only has stress incontinence a lot better than we expected

hope things are improving with you

marie

Edited by member 09 Jun 2014 at 16:14  | Reason: Not specified