I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Slight Concern

User
Posted 22 May 2014 at 13:00

About a month after my RT treatment, which finished on 24 March, I received a bowel cancer screening kit. I checked whether I should use it as I'd had one slight episode of bleeding during the treatment. The advice was that I should go ahead, which I did. The sample was positive for hidden traces of blood and I was given a kit for a second test. The result of that was also positive, so I've been given an appointment for a colonoscopy.

As always there is a slight dilemma about having an invasive and possibly unnecessary procedure,  but the bottom line is (no pun intendedhttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif) that the only way to know for certain is to have it checked. If there's nothing sinister, great. If there is it will have been caught early and should be treatable. What is certain is that ignoring it and hoping for the best is not an option.

My appointment is on 12 June. Watch this space.

Kind regards,
John
User
Posted 23 May 2014 at 08:01

All the best xx

Seems like there is just one thing to worry about after the other with this disease, but worth the test for peace of mind regarding the bowel.

Hope it all goes okay.

Alison

User
Posted 24 May 2014 at 10:45
John there is every chance that the trace of blood is a result if the RT particularly as you know it did effect your bowel. But better safe than sorry. I had a colonoscopy before my RP I found it very bearable. So nothing to worry about

Bri
User
Posted 31 May 2014 at 02:31
As annoying as the "prep" is, the peace of mind is well worth the trouble, in my opinion. Besides, for a chronic insomniac like me, the anesthesia-induced sleep is (almost) worth the hassle.
Best to you,
Lawrence
"I am not young enough to know everything."
Oscar Wilde
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 23 May 2014 at 08:01

All the best xx

Seems like there is just one thing to worry about after the other with this disease, but worth the test for peace of mind regarding the bowel.

Hope it all goes okay.

Alison

User
Posted 23 May 2014 at 08:39

Hope you don't mind me butting in to your conversation. My daughter from her teenage years complained of problems but the doctor dismissed it as either stress or IBS so she was treated for that. It got worse during the treatment of our young grandson for his cancer so she finally bit the bullet and went private. Yep, not only was it cancer but it was advanced colorectal and at the age of 38 ended up with a colostomy bag.
So please people, if you have even a minor concern in this area, please get it checked.
These bowel screening kits can be a life saver. Because of my daughter I asked for one and now they send them automatically.
Simple to use.

Edited by member 23 May 2014 at 13:40  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 24 May 2014 at 10:45
John there is every chance that the trace of blood is a result if the RT particularly as you know it did effect your bowel. But better safe than sorry. I had a colonoscopy before my RP I found it very bearable. So nothing to worry about

Bri
User
Posted 31 May 2014 at 02:31
As annoying as the "prep" is, the peace of mind is well worth the trouble, in my opinion. Besides, for a chronic insomniac like me, the anesthesia-induced sleep is (almost) worth the hassle.
Best to you,
Lawrence
"I am not young enough to know everything."
Oscar Wilde
User
Posted 10 Jun 2014 at 21:13

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay in acknowledging your replies. For some reason I received no notification of them, even though I subscribed to the thread. Anyway, thank you for taking the trouble to comment.

"Bumcam", as I shall call it, is on Thursday, so here's hoping http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif.

Edited by member 10 Jun 2014 at 21:14  | Reason: Not specified

Kind regards,
John