I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Travel Insurance.....getting vexed here.

User
Posted 27 May 2014 at 11:00
We are trying to find some resonably priced full comprehensive travel insurance and so far it's proving to be a bit if a nightmare. My husband is 66 was diagnosed in Jan 2014 with early stage PC......Gleason score 6 and PSA 1:2. Of the 21 core samples taken 4 showed signs of cancer He opted for a RP which was done on 21st March....follow up apointment showed all contained in organ, removed with nerve sparing, in other words we were all pleased. No further treatment required other than regular blood tests. The last one reading 0.01. But getting travel cover ........ I could understand it if my husband was having on going treatment but he isn't.......any suggestions of companies to try would be very much appreciated.

Jane.

User
Posted 27 May 2014 at 23:30
Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi Jane I used Insure and go for my wife who had breast cancer. They exclude cancer related illnesses and give a reasonable rate. As I recall last year was under £100 per annum world wide. Regards Phil

Hi Phil, insureandgo don't always exclude cancer - they are better known for covering it than for excluding it. John and I have used them ever since he was diagnosed and they covered him post-op to climb Kilimanjaro and then throughout RT & HT when the PCa recurred. We have a joint annual multi-trip worldwide (except USA) policy for £130.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 May 2014 at 15:00

Insure and Go will quote if you call them, they will cover PCa normally if it is contained and treatment is considered to be cureative or long term i.e not palliative.

TG has some very valid points, we could not get insurance with anyone for the cruise we had to drop out of last week, we knew the risk we faced to get nothing back if we had to cancel. Europe is a little more achievable using the EH1C but you do have to make sure that any hospital of facility you use is a state facility and covered by that card.

Getting sick in Europe is one thing but on a ship going to or from the USA/Caribbean or holidaying in USA is another altogether, just not something I would even consider. The cost of repatriation is the biggest concern and expense and medical bills in USA or on a ship have to be paid up front.

xx

Mo

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 27 May 2014 at 16:08
Hi Jane,

In your husband's situation is there a particular reason why he needs cover to include PCa such as for example he is having difficulty in passing water? If not, has he considered a policy excluding PCa cover as many of us have done. This makes it much easier and less expensive to get cover.

Barry
User
Posted 27 May 2014 at 17:11

Hi Jane I used Insure and go for my wife who had breast cancer. They exclude cancer related illnesses and give a reasonable rate. As I recall last year was under £100 per annum world wide. Regards Phil

User
Posted 27 May 2014 at 17:24
Jane you could try a company called All Clear Travel. I got their website from Macmillan (I think it was).

Did an online quote yesterday for my husband, declaring his condition and treatment (although that isn't until 3rd June) and the quote was under £50 for one off travel. IT didn't make it clear whether that included cancer cover though.

I did glance through their terms and conditions and got the impression that it was but I'm checking anyway.

Having said that, like others on here, if it doesn't cover it then we'll exclude that bit.

We wouldn't go away in any case if my husband is feeling unwell.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 27 May 2014 at 18:52
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I have it sorted now. We had comprehensive cover with Aviva via our Additions Plus account with Barclays. We've had worldwide multi trip cover with them for years now but I wasn't sure if they would continue cover . I told them all of my husbands medical history and it came back as accepted. I'm not sure if this means he's accepted with an exception for the PC op or if he is accepted completely ( if that makes sense..lol) but either way there's no additional money to pay so we are happy with that. Saga wanted to charge us £250 and that was for a one off trip !
User
Posted 27 May 2014 at 23:30
Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi Phil, insureandgo don't always exclude cancer - they are better known for covering it than for excluding it. John and I have used them ever since he was diagnosed and they covered him post-op to climb Kilimanjaro and then throughout RT & HT when the PCa recurred. We have a joint annual multi-trip worldwide (except USA) policy for £130.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 May 2014 at 09:01
Ah Ha. Rushes off to find details of insureandgo. Thanks Lyn
User
Posted 28 May 2014 at 09:40
I don't think people always think clearly about travel insurance. To my mind, it isn't so much about whether there is a risk of getting ill during the holiday.

Taking travel insurance that excludes PCa means that if you then book a holiday, and subsequently have to cancel that holiday because the hospital decides you need treatment then (maybe salvage RT needed or a hernia develops) you have no cancellation cover and lose all your money.

We booked a July holiday to France in the January, 2 years post op. In the May it became clear that John needed RT which would start in the July - we were lucky that we were able to move the holiday without incurring any significant costs but if we had been forced to cancel, the insurance company would have picked up the cost rather than us. Worth thinking about?

User
Posted 28 May 2014 at 10:15
Lyn is quite right if you are fit enough to go then in the normal scheme of things nothing is likely to happen PCa wise in the fortnight or so away. I was slightly different as that having had chemo 2 days prior to going away an infection could happen which would need immediate hospital treatment.

It is the lack of insurance prior to the holiday that is the problem if you have to cancel. This is where you must look closely at the cut off dates of when you start paying more percentage wise than your deposit as the holiday gets nearer.

I had two cruises booked for this year and when I was told in March that I was terminal any form of travel insurance became an impossibility and I was advised anyway by my Onco to cancel the June cruise. I had until end March before the full amount had to be paid so reluctantly cancelled it losing my £300 deposit (£150 each) Our 2nd cruise is booked for October (transatlantic ) and that has to be paid in full by July 2nd. Again no insurance....and going to the USA Hmmmm.

I see my Onco on June 11th when he will have next weeks MRI scan results. That gives me two weeks to decide. USA without insurance ...OK only flying back, not staying. Cancel, lose another £300, transfer my deposit to another cruise around Europe ...has to be the same cruise line and would have to pay in full now for this summer/autumn cruise or lose my deposit and wait until a last minute deal comes up which would possibly save more than £300....the 8 day cruise we have just done was £499 pp for a promenade cabin which 2 months ago was £899pp

Answers on a postcard please.

End of the day a lot depends on what my dear old Onco has to say.....I'm looking forward to seeing his face when I show him some photos of the Norwegian fjords.

Life is for living

Barry (alias Barrington )

User
Posted 28 May 2014 at 12:39
Just tried insureandgo. A) they won't cover John at all for an annual multitrip

B) Joint cover for both, single trip, was just under £100. Not unreasonable - but it still didn't cover John

for his cancer.

I completed the questionnaire as if he had completed the treatment (one off Brachytherapy 3rd June) as we are planning a trip to Europe perhaps in July.

User
Posted 28 May 2014 at 13:13
I don't bother with the online bit apart from to put in the basic info and request a call back. Talking to people and being able to explain the situation often produces a better outcome. Johsan, I guess the planned brachy will affect your quote as the loss adjusters will have less data about claim history post-brachy.

User
Posted 28 May 2014 at 14:41
Ah, I see. Yes there does seem to be very little long term history to it. Once I know when we are going I'll try giving them a ring to see if it makes a difference. Thanks Lyn
User
Posted 28 May 2014 at 15:00

Insure and Go will quote if you call them, they will cover PCa normally if it is contained and treatment is considered to be cureative or long term i.e not palliative.

TG has some very valid points, we could not get insurance with anyone for the cruise we had to drop out of last week, we knew the risk we faced to get nothing back if we had to cancel. Europe is a little more achievable using the EH1C but you do have to make sure that any hospital of facility you use is a state facility and covered by that card.

Getting sick in Europe is one thing but on a ship going to or from the USA/Caribbean or holidaying in USA is another altogether, just not something I would even consider. The cost of repatriation is the biggest concern and expense and medical bills in USA or on a ship have to be paid up front.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 06 Jun 2014 at 09:21

Try Aviva.  They gave me full  Euro annual multitrip cover with PCa related included for about £110 including spouse.  Very similar diagnosis and treatment, though a bit younger (61).

User
Posted 06 Jun 2014 at 09:47
Good news.....we had the letter to co firm that my husbands disclosure of the PC has been *Accepted* at no additional cost Nd this is for multi trip and worldwide :)
User
Posted 06 Jun 2014 at 09:48
Confirm !! Stupid i.pad !!