Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PCa, RALP and Onward

User
Posted 01 Jun 2014 at 15:01
Hi

We'll, it's a long time since I first posted here and since that first post I've generally let VJ do all the talking/posting. I have regularly read and kept up with all your journeys though.

I hope this post works as I'm still experimenting with this new site.

In my experimenting I came across my very first post here in November 2012 and it is that as much as anything that lead me to try to post an update.

It's round or about 18 months now since I was diagnosed and decided to have an appointment with RALP at Guys. After my surgery in January 2013, things went relatively by the book and luckily incontinence for me was short lived. A few times I didn't listen and was caught out but in general things have gone well.

The PSA tests every 3 months after the op did give me bad times for about a week before the blood test up till the time I got the results which were always good and identical at less than 0.03. I had three of them and was told good we will now put you onto 6 monthly tests. At the time I thought I would worry myself silly having to wait for that long. In truth, as the weeks and months passed the PSA test seemed to drift away and not be foremost in my mind. That was a big thing for me. As it turned out I had my latest PSA blood test a couple of weeks ago and even rang my PCN at Guys myself to get my results. Once again it has come in at less than 0.03 so I can get on with life again for the next 6 months.

What struck me more than anything though is the comparable difference between when I first set out on this journey and was a very frightened and anxious individual to now, where I feel so much more able to take things in my stride. Okay the excellent results have helped but there has been a great deal of input from many people that has helped get me here. Thank you and them.

For any newbies. It honestly does get easier - I'm proof.

For the people here going through so much worse than I have any idea of, I doff my hat to each and every one of you and wish you all the best in your fight to live life to the full.

Kim

User
Posted 01 Jun 2014 at 20:39
Good to hear things are good Kim. We were dx about the same time but I had to take a swift side step to try and get back on track.

They put me on 6 month checks after just one blood text following ART. I did take a sharp intake of breath at that. But have decided to get on with it and enjoy life in the meantime.

Oh by the way pity about RP not getting promotion but hey oh a decent team went up aka Donny ;-)

Hope V is feeling better, please give her my very best wishes

Take care

Bri

User
Posted 03 Jun 2014 at 16:39
Bri

Was sorry to hear that you had to go on for further treatment, but am glad it seems to have done the job and things are going in the right direction for you now.

Went up to see the Prof this morning. He is such a nice man. When I told him about my hernia he immediately wanted to have a look and had a good old prod and poke. I have a para-incisional hernia running alongside the camera incision site apparently. The Prof apologised to me for giving me this hernia and then rang a consultant in St Thomas' for an appointment ASAP. I was down to be operated on at our local (hospital that is) but wasn't looking forward to that and didn't have any indication from them when the op was likely to be, so am extremely delighted the Prof has organised for my op to be done in town.

Let's hope we have some really good weather this summer for all of us to sit back and relax in. Doubt VJ and I will be going too far afield now what with the hernia op and the fact VJ is still far from better. Wish they could sort her out, it's not right she who must be obeyed not being up to par.

What can I say about Park? Never mind our time will come, we are improving season upon season. Just hoping I can get some tickets for HQ next year; that would certainly make up for any disappointments.

Best regards

Kim

User
Posted 03 Jun 2014 at 18:26
Hopefully the hernia will soon be a distant memory like the PCa.

If you do manage to source some spare tickets for next year let me know. I wil gladly take them off your hands.

Actually ( always worth a punt ) if anyone on here can source Rugby World Cup tickets for next year. Please feel free to e-mail or message me

Cheers

Bri