I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Brachytherapy implant

User
Posted 04 Jun 2014 at 11:08

John had his brachytherapy yesterday and was given a card with the following information :

Received a permanent radio active iodine seed (Iodine-125) implant to the prostate.

Date of implant 3 - 6- 14

Total activity of implant  1032 MBq (where 1mCi=37MBq)

(Nominal seed activity 17.8 MBq)

Isotope: Iodine - 125 (Sealed source in seed form)

I did ask the nurse how many seeds had been inserted but he didn't seem to know and pointed to the 125 as above and told me it was that many.

I think that refers to what when in not how many went in.

Is it possible from the above info to work it out or will I just have to wait for the follow up appointment.

Maths are not my strong point.

Edited by member 04 Jun 2014 at 11:40  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 04 Jun 2014 at 15:03

Sorry,can't answer your question as DH's brachytherapy was changed at last minute. I hope you were told about restrictions on children near John- we were not told this before deciding. Good luck with next few weeks,hope side effects are zero.

User
Posted 04 Jun 2014 at 16:13
Thank you Elajal. Yep, know all about side effects, children etc. Having thought about the restrictions being only a few minutes though or sitting near pregnant women, I did ask the nurse yesterday whether it was ok for me to sleep really close as that's what we do and have done for the past 40 odd years either me behind him or he behind me. Lovely nurse but English not first language and I'm not sure I made myself understood. He said i mustn't LAY on him all night!! Ummm

Since John was in and out of bed all night in the loo (about every 1/2 hour), it really wasn't a problem as I ended up in the spare bed anyway!!

If you sit a child on your lap you can judge how long that child is there. You can't tell throughout the night how long you are tucked up against somebody though can you.

My daughter is convinced it is only to protect a person of childbearing age which of course rules me out.

Thanks for the reply though.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 04 Jun 2014 at 19:00
I don't think you are at much risk - the concern is about unborn and small children. Our friend cancelled his brachy when he was told he must stay away from his new grand-daughter for a month. Apart from the need to be careful with urine dribbles for the first few days, I can't think that anyone else here has ever been told not to be too close to partners etc - if it was that much of a risk, men would be quarantined in hospitals for days or weeks post-implant in case they bump into passers-by on the street :-0
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard