I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

The CAA and PCa

User
Posted 05 Jun 2014 at 20:43

Couldn't think which sub forum to post this but as recreational flying is a lifestyle thing I'm posting this "heads-up" for those members who are still actively flying.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/2499/Prostate%20cancer.pdf

Seems as though a simple TURP will have you grounded for 6 weeks let alone the other treatment regimes.

Thank God I downgraded to an NPPL!

Roger
User
Posted 06 Jun 2014 at 21:03
I think there are a few (ex)flyers around here. After a few years break I am just looking at NPPL medical requirements, but not very hopeful, and microlight costs :)

cheers

Paul

User
Posted 08 Jun 2014 at 12:01

Frank, changing to an NPPL from a lifetime CAA PPL couldn't be simplier.

Even if your currency has lapsed by more than 5 years you should only need a couple of hours with an instructor and complete a GST (general skills test).

The medical requirements are simplicity itself and if you meet the DVLA car driving standards then your GP will be able to countersign your medical declaration for solo flight only.  If you meet the DVLA PCV/HGV driving standard then flight with passengers is approved.

Forgot to mention that costs can be kept low by joining a group ownership scheme where you may be able to by a share for as little as a couple of grand and pay as little as £30 - £50 a month into the hangarage/maintenance/insurance fund.  The only other cost would be the fuel you use and many of the new 3-axis microlights are using as little as 8 - 9 ltrs an hour.

Go for it!

Edited by member 08 Jun 2014 at 12:05  | Reason: Not specified

Roger