I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Three months after Prostatectomy - Prostate cancer,bladder control,weight gain

User
Posted 18 Jun 2014 at 12:04

Hello again. My husband underwent a prostatectomy on 10th March this year.  During the day his incontinence has become a lot more manageable and he hardly ever wears pads.  He is retired so at home he just changes his underwear if he has a small accident; usually due to lifting something too heavy in the garden.

Fortunately, the cancer appears to have been contained within the prostate and the margins were totally clear.  He is due for another PSA test in November. His last PSA was 0.2 but as the other test results were so good the surgeon was not worried about that.  He said there could be a few benign cells hanging around and raising the level a bit.

Recently, my husband has noticed that he is once again getting up several times during the night to urinate. He was under the impression that the operation would stop this happening but apparently not.  His other concern is that he is putting on weight. Obviously up until recently he has not been so active but I am wondering if his weight gain could be due to an alteration in hormone levels after the operation.  He also used to play golf but has not been on the golf course since the operation, as he could be 'caught short' and be a long way from the clubhouse.

Any comments would be appreciated. 

Thank you.