Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Things are falling into place.

User
Posted 19 Jun 2014 at 20:35
How do.

Attended my local PC support group last night & met some lovely folks. The first guy that greeted me did ask why I was there though as I 'was far too young for PC' my answer 'afraid not mate.'

Anyway, I was lucky to meet the PC support worker from the NHS & things have started to come together today. Got an appointment to see the nurse pre-op, an appointment to see the incontinence nurse at the local health centre & the Nuffield have called to confirm my pre op appointment.

I talked about ED treatment with the nurse & he suggested medication rather than a pump for starters at least until I'd got some degree of bladder control back.

The incontinence nurse is going to try & find me a high absorbency pad I can run in. I'm keen to get back building the miles up as soon as the catheter is out.

I've been an obsessive health freak for the last 4 years. I lost 7 stone in 2010 eating sensibly, running & kayaking. The last 6 months since my first PSA alert, I've been overeating, over drinking & taken my eye off my training. My marathon times have suffered. I'm 10 minutes down over 26 miles than this time last year & almost 2 minutes on a 10k. I'm ashamed to say that I've put almost a stone in weight on too. That's been depressing along with everything else.

I've come to the conclusion though that I've got to forget the weight, relax the miles & speed & just get through the next few months & try & keep mobile.

The last 2 races I've done, I've ran without my GPS watch which is a big deal for an performance obsessed distance runner like me. I'm going to put the scales in the cupboard too.

Seems I've got a big challenge ahead. One to dwarf the 7 marathons I've run this year so far & one that I'm going to finish as a stronger, better person.

Life's a Marathon. Run in peace.
User
Posted 20 Jun 2014 at 07:28
Well done Carlos there's no point beating yourself up. Gotta say that's some achievement though re weight loss and the marathons. I am in training at the moment in readiness to run a 10k. It's years since I did some serious running so taking some time, also having problems with my Achilles heel

Re the pads you may find the men's Tena pads are fine. They are lightweight, discreet and very absorbent. You can get them from the Asda

All the best
Bri
User
Posted 20 Jun 2014 at 11:06
Cheers Brian.

Let me know when you're doing that 10k & I'll try & come along & run it too! Hope the heel gets sorted. My IT band has been my biggest issue over the past couple of years. I have to go to and have my pelvis realigned periodically as it gets yanked out of place usually on a long road race where we a limited to one side of the road. This causes me to run out of line and aggravate the Illotibial band running up the outside of my right leg. I try and mix it up when I can by switching sides of the road.

I run all over the country & the ones I race for the town team get logged by British Athletics.

Any of these near you? I try & sample races away from the local scene when I can & run them for fun without worrying about time or position.

http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=409040

I'll ask the nurse about the pads! Good luck & thanks for the reply.

Carlos

User
Posted 20 Jun 2014 at 14:51
I think Carlos that it is a bit upside down to decide to forget your weight gain for the time being. Now is when it is important to lose the weight you have gained and get as op-fit as possible.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 20 Jun 2014 at 22:34
Oops Lynne. Now you tell me! I'm just in from the pub & full of beer, chips & kebab. I'm back on the healthy living regime tomorrow;-)x

User
Posted 21 Jun 2014 at 01:20
Kebab! I don't think I have ever known anyone that has eaten a kebab before!!!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 21 Jun 2014 at 09:07
We'll I'm privileged then to be expanding your social horizon.

I'm back on the healthy living today. It's been another tough week & a lot to take in. The next marathon is Bath on 25th July. I'd better get get my shoes on & hit the trails. Just 15 miles to run this morning.

Ouch me head. Lol.

Edited by member 21 Jun 2014 at 09:12  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Jun 2014 at 15:16
Carlos

You say you did 15 miles, you did not say how many pelvic floor exercise you did, as I have said before I was 99 percent dry 4 days after catheter removed. I did experiment with a tenna 2 pad, I stood in the bath with a pad in my pants and let my bladder go, it absorbed about 150 ml before leaking a slower release would no doubt hold more. Good advice to loose the weight.

Good luck Chris
User
Posted 21 Jun 2014 at 18:40
Cheers Chris!

I'm having a vegetarian day only today with nuts for protein. Making up for indulgence.

The pelvic floor stuff is going well! I've done 10 reps of 10 today & built them into my upper body & ab workout session. I've got 5 weeks to the next marathon & 8 to the op. I'll kick it by then. Just need to stay positive!!!

Thanks for the advice.

Carlos