I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Just starting Radiotherapy - Radiotherapy, Gold markers.

User
Posted 05 Jul 2014 at 19:57
Hi folks,

I have not been on the site for a couple of months, I felt I needed a break away from reading about cancer for a while after the months of research and reading I had been doing it all got a bit heavy.

Anyway it's nice to be back and I have posted a post below from February just to let people know where I am coming from.

I am about to embark on my Radiotherapy treatment and have had my first appointment as below.

04/07/2014 - Attended The Beatson Cancer Centre Glasgow for the implantation of three gold markers into Prostate, this is to help with the positioning and accurate Radiation of the Prostate to help avoid damaging surrounding tissue/organs. The procedure was similar to the biopsy procedure and I was only in the room about twenty minutes with the actual procedure only taking around seven or eight minutes.

Next appointment 21/07/2014 for Planning Scan.

First Radiotherapy treatment scheduled for 04/08/2014.

Final Radiotherapy treatment scheduled for 23/09/2014.

My initial PSA was 59 in December 2013, since being on Zoladex Injections every three months which started in February my PSA has dropped to 1.4 The Oncologist was very pleased with this and said he would be treating the whole Prostate not just the tumor with a view of curative intent.

I will update this post as I progress through my treatment should people want to follow who may also be going down the Radiotherapy route.

All the best to ALL who are fighting Cancer.

Regards,

Gerry.

The post below was posted on 16 February 2014 00:43:59

Hi Folks, 

I met the Oncologist on Friday 14/02/14 and can't praise the guy enough, his attitude was spot on and he took almost 45mins going through everything with my wife and I. 

I have now decided to go for RT & HT, my reason behind the decision was the fact that MOST surgeons will not operate if the PSA is above 20 and mine was 59 almost three times that figure. I thought if MOST surgeons think that they can't all be wrong, therefore why put myself through a major operation if there was no need and I would need RT after it anyway. I would be better just going for the RT which has the same chance of cure but a is lot less invasive with less serious or immediate side effects. 

The Oncologist agreed with my reasoning and said he would be happy to treat me, he asked if I would like him to write me up for treatment right away, or if I would prefer to go away and think about it for a few days. Having already hung about with no treatment for four months despite being high risk,I told him I wanted to be written up right away for immediate treatment. 

He duly obliged and gave me a letter to take to my doctor for a prescription for HT tablets and injections. The prescription will be ready on Monday 17/02/14 when I will start on HT tablets for 21 days, but between the 4th and 7th day I am to get the first of the three monthly Zoladex injections, after the second injection he will start RT round about June. The three monthly injections will continue throughout RT and for up to 2 or 3 years after the end of RT with the aim of cure. 

I feel brilliant now that I have finally chosen my treatment path, I now begin the fight in earnest against this swine of a disease, and hopefully will kick it's ass. It was really difficult to make the decision, I swung back and forth several times but I am now 100% committed and happy with my chosen treatment path and the excellent Oncologist I have. 

This year has started well with the birth of my second granddaughter and news that another grandchild is due in August, I have a feeling it's going to be a special year all round. 

ATB 
Gerry

User
Posted 05 Jul 2014 at 19:57
Hi folks,

I have not been on the site for a couple of months, I felt I needed a break away from reading about cancer for a while after the months of research and reading I had been doing it all got a bit heavy.

Anyway it's nice to be back and I have posted a post below from February just to let people know where I am coming from.

I am about to embark on my Radiotherapy treatment and have had my first appointment as below.

04/07/2014 - Attended The Beatson Cancer Centre Glasgow for the implantation of three gold markers into Prostate, this is to help with the positioning and accurate Radiation of the Prostate to help avoid damaging surrounding tissue/organs. The procedure was similar to the biopsy procedure and I was only in the room about twenty minutes with the actual procedure only taking around seven or eight minutes.

Next appointment 21/07/2014 for Planning Scan.

First Radiotherapy treatment scheduled for 04/08/2014.

Final Radiotherapy treatment scheduled for 23/09/2014.

My initial PSA was 59 in December 2013, since being on Zoladex Injections every three months which started in February my PSA has dropped to 1.4 The Oncologist was very pleased with this and said he would be treating the whole Prostate not just the tumor with a view of curative intent.

I will update this post as I progress through my treatment should people want to follow who may also be going down the Radiotherapy route.

All the best to ALL who are fighting Cancer.

Regards,

Gerry.

The post below was posted on 16 February 2014 00:43:59

Hi Folks, 

I met the Oncologist on Friday 14/02/14 and can't praise the guy enough, his attitude was spot on and he took almost 45mins going through everything with my wife and I. 

I have now decided to go for RT & HT, my reason behind the decision was the fact that MOST surgeons will not operate if the PSA is above 20 and mine was 59 almost three times that figure. I thought if MOST surgeons think that they can't all be wrong, therefore why put myself through a major operation if there was no need and I would need RT after it anyway. I would be better just going for the RT which has the same chance of cure but a is lot less invasive with less serious or immediate side effects. 

The Oncologist agreed with my reasoning and said he would be happy to treat me, he asked if I would like him to write me up for treatment right away, or if I would prefer to go away and think about it for a few days. Having already hung about with no treatment for four months despite being high risk,I told him I wanted to be written up right away for immediate treatment. 

He duly obliged and gave me a letter to take to my doctor for a prescription for HT tablets and injections. The prescription will be ready on Monday 17/02/14 when I will start on HT tablets for 21 days, but between the 4th and 7th day I am to get the first of the three monthly Zoladex injections, after the second injection he will start RT round about June. The three monthly injections will continue throughout RT and for up to 2 or 3 years after the end of RT with the aim of cure. 

I feel brilliant now that I have finally chosen my treatment path, I now begin the fight in earnest against this swine of a disease, and hopefully will kick it's ass. It was really difficult to make the decision, I swung back and forth several times but I am now 100% committed and happy with my chosen treatment path and the excellent Oncologist I have. 

This year has started well with the birth of my second granddaughter and news that another grandchild is due in August, I have a feeling it's going to be a special year all round. 

ATB 
Gerry

User
Posted 06 Jul 2014 at 19:24

Well done for deciding on a treatment plan and feeling so positive about it. Yes, the research does get very heavy going but probably worth it in the end. Hope all goes well for you.

Regards, Fiona.

User
Posted 28 Jul 2014 at 19:31

Hi folks,

Quick update.

I went into the Beatson Cancer Center last Monday 21/07/14 to be lined up in the simultor and have tattoos done. told to drink three glasses of water then lie upon a table with a rest under my knees. Lined up in scanner then tattooed for future positioning so everything is always lined up correctly before each treatment commences. Was in hospital for about an hour in total and it was a breeze.

I have now had the three gold markers inserted 07/07/14 and tattoos done 21/07/14 , next step 04/08/14 first RT treatment, looking forward to getting started.

Will keep you updated folks as I progress through my treatment.

All the best to ALL who are fighting cancer.

Regards,

Gerry.

User
Posted 04 Aug 2014 at 22:47

First Radiotherapy session at the Beatson Cancer Center Glasgow over, very quick and felt absolutely nothing. 04/08/2014.

The staff were excellent, and although it was my first day I had a treatment review, they apparently give you this review every Monday to check how you are doing on the treatment and if you have any issues or questions.

Anyway underway now, day 2 tomorrow.

Regards,

Gerry

Edited by member 16 Aug 2014 at 23:41  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Jul 2014 at 19:09

Hi folks not used to this new site found old site far easier to use, forgive me if my posts are a bit mixed up.

Edited by member 07 Jul 2014 at 20:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Jul 2014 at 19:24

Well done for deciding on a treatment plan and feeling so positive about it. Yes, the research does get very heavy going but probably worth it in the end. Hope all goes well for you.

Regards, Fiona.

User
Posted 07 Jul 2014 at 20:21

Thanks for the comment Zarissa, I agree the research is well worth it when deciding on treatment, it changed my decision from surgery to Radiotherapy and HT.

User
Posted 07 Jul 2014 at 21:05

Hi Gerry I am a few months behind you on the same treatment course , I also attend the Beatson , Had my first zolodex implant 2 weeks ago and on the tabs Cyproterone Acetate 6 a day , they make me feel very tired but it's only for a few weeks .I will be following your post with the greatest interest so keep them coming , hope all goes well at your first appointment , Good luck

John.s
User
Posted 19 Jul 2014 at 20:23

Thanks for the comments John, I will update the post as I progress through my treatment for people like yourself who are about to go down the same treatment path or for others who may be considering it. I have been on the Zoladex injections for five months now and the side effects have been minimal. The first couple of weeks I had sore muscles but this quickly wore off, then about six weeks in I started to get the hot flushes four or five a day and they usually lasted a few minutes but were bearable. Now they have reduced to two or three a day only lasting maybe 30 seconds, much better. I spoke to the consultant regarding my PSA dropping from 59 to 1.4 in just five months and he said he was very pleased and that the HT was working well. I asked him about any further side effects from the HT and he said as me body gets used to the drug things should only get better, so it looks like I am through the worst of any side effects although they were minimal. Good luck to you John hope everything works out well for you.

Regards, Gerry

User
Posted 28 Jul 2014 at 19:31

Hi folks,

Quick update.

I went into the Beatson Cancer Center last Monday 21/07/14 to be lined up in the simultor and have tattoos done. told to drink three glasses of water then lie upon a table with a rest under my knees. Lined up in scanner then tattooed for future positioning so everything is always lined up correctly before each treatment commences. Was in hospital for about an hour in total and it was a breeze.

I have now had the three gold markers inserted 07/07/14 and tattoos done 21/07/14 , next step 04/08/14 first RT treatment, looking forward to getting started.

Will keep you updated folks as I progress through my treatment.

Regards,

Gerry.

User
Posted 03 Aug 2014 at 21:50

Hi folks,

First Radiotherapy session tomorrow Monday 04/08/2014, looking forward to getting started, hope it is successful in eradicating this bloody cancer. Those little c cells don't know what is about to hit them tomorrow, fight back time yessssss!!

Good luck to ALL who are fighting cancer.

Regards,

Gerry.

User
Posted 04 Aug 2014 at 22:47

First Radiotherapy session at the Beatson Cancer Center Glasgow over, very quick and felt absolutely nothing. 04/08/2014.

The staff were excellent, and although it was my first day I had a treatment review, they apparently give you this review every Monday to check how you are doing on the treatment and if you have any issues or questions.

Anyway underway now, day 2 tomorrow.

Regards,

Gerry

Edited by member 16 Aug 2014 at 23:41  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Aug 2014 at 22:36

Second Radiotherapy session completed today 05/08/2014.

Day 3 tomorrow.

Regards,

Gerry

User
Posted 06 Aug 2014 at 20:50

Hi Gerry,

Hope everything goes well for you.  I have been on hormone therapy since June 25th.  RT planning session booked for 26th. September, four weeks RT sometime after that.  Read your profile and we seem to be similar in diagnosis and age etc.  I'm following you all the way.

Together we'll beat this.

Steve

Edited by member 06 Aug 2014 at 20:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Aug 2014 at 18:32

Hi Stevie,

Nice to hear from you. I had a quick look at your profile and we do look to be pretty similar.

As you can see from my posts I started RT on Monday of this week, now had four sessions, fifth session tomorrow then have the weekend off.

It has been really straight forward, and I have only been on the table for actual RT treatment approx 3 mins each time, it's really quick.

As you probably know you are told to drink three cups of water a half hour before treatment, the nurse tells you when to start. All in I am usually only in the hospital for approximately 45 minutes each visit.

I have no side effects at all this far, but I know it's possible some can kick in the further into the treatment you go. I was told by the Oncologist the first two weeks post treatment most people are really tired and some handle it better than others, so it's a matter of wait and see.

I will keep the forum updated as I progress through my treatment and will list any side effects (if any) that I experience.

Good luck on your journey Stevie always stay positive, and yes you are right together we WILL beat this.

Good luck to ALL who are fighting cancer,

Regards,

Gerry.

Edited by member 09 Aug 2014 at 19:49  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Aug 2014 at 19:52
Just in case anyone is confused by your comment Gerry, not everyone is told to drink 3 cups of water half an hour before. That may just be the routine at your hospital. My husband had to drink 1/2 litre during his journey to the hospital each day and was then usually straight into the suite on arrival. Others here have been required to arrive 45 mins before their treatment to start drinking. It varies from hospital to hospital and sometimes man to man.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Aug 2014 at 23:13
The advice I was given was empty bladder then drink 500 ml of water 1 hour before treatment. Generally I found 40 mins before scheduled appointment was OK. However, there were often delays at the hospital leading to much hopping from one leg to the other!

Further advice was to drink min of 2 litres of liquid per day.

User
Posted 07 Aug 2014 at 23:50

Hi Lyn,

Thanks for pointing that out, my apologies if I confused anyone, as Lyn says the routine can vary in other hospitals and even man to man. 

Dartview,

Yes I was also told to empty bladder before commencing the water drinking. Haven't had any delays yet but early days, don't fancy hopping about from one leg to the other trying not to wee myself LOL. I was also told like you to drink at least 2 litres of liquid a day, radiologist said RT can dehydrate you.

Good luck to ALL who are fighting cancer,

Regards,

Gerry

User
Posted 08 Aug 2014 at 09:28
This bladder filling to set times (which can change) can be difficult. My OH had problems once the bladder was full if he was not seen for RT bang on time. A few days there were delays so he had to empty his bladder and start again.

Just make sure that you factor this in and do not put any time constraints on yourself. Hospitals often run overtime and if you have something else planned afterwards to attend it will put pressure on you.

You just have to let the RT take full priority of your life for this few weeks and think of the good it is doing zapping that Ca.

Best wishes to all.

Alison x

User
Posted 08 Aug 2014 at 09:43
Some hospitals make this easier by allowing the full course appointments to be made in one go. John chose the 8.30am appointment slot so that he could go straight to work afterwards. There are rarely any backlogs at that time of the morning and if one machine breaks down, not too many problems being moved to an alternative machine. As I said, he didn't need to drink on arrival so there was no waiting around except on review days if he had to wait to see the consultant. Usually he was at work by 9ish.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Aug 2014 at 20:48

Hi folks,

First week of RT completed today, now off for the weekend yipeee!!

5 sessions down - 32 to go.

Good luck to ALL who are fighting cancer.

Regards,

Gerry.

User
Posted 08 Aug 2014 at 21:28

Gerry,

Enjoy your weekend off.

Steve

User
Posted 09 Aug 2014 at 00:18
Weekends are definitely something to look forward to especially as the weeks progress. A Bank Holiday is a real treat for most although some ask for treatment to complete the course that bit sooner.

I had 3 machine breakdowns while being treated. The first time a voice over the PA said "the machine's jammed, we've sent for the engineer. Just lie still." My reaction: panic! Of course the engineer was in the next suite not 3 hours drive away. Prolonged periods in the treatment room always result in ribald remarks from those waiting which adds fun to the experience.

User
Posted 11 Aug 2014 at 22:33

Hi folks,

Just a quick update, 6th session of RT completed today 11/08/2014, 31 to go and no side effects or issues so far.

Good luck & best wishes to ALL who are fighting cancer.

Regards,

Gerry

User
Posted 13 Aug 2014 at 19:47

Hi folks,

Just a quick update, 8th session of RT completed today 13/08/2014, 29 to go and no side effects or issues, treatment is a breeze so far.

Third Zoladex injection yesterday Tuesday 12/08/2014, only side effect since starting in Feb 2014 was hot flushes which started about six weeks in but are now subsiding and almost gone, great no other effects from HT.

Good luck & best wishes to ALL who are fighting cancer.

Regards,

Gerry