Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

What happens at the pre op

User
Posted 06 Jul 2014 at 18:02
Hi all.

I'm booked for my pre op on 24th July, ahead of my LRP. Can anyone tell me what this is likely to involve as I've never had any hospital treatment in my life. I'm finishing work on the 18th July for a little holiday then set for the op on return.

Thank you.

Carlos

Life's a Marathon. Run in peace.
User
Posted 06 Jul 2014 at 18:47

A general fitness review will take place,blood pressure,ECG etc nothing to worry about,I remember going on to talk with a nurse about the catheter and the changing of bag's ie: overnight one to the day one,I was also given a goody box containing some drinks to be taken on the morning of the op and a dvd showing how to self inject an anti blood clotting agent,can't remember its name,although this seemed to differ from hospital to hospital so it seems.

User
Posted 06 Jul 2014 at 18:59

Hi Carlos,

I would imagine all Pre Op assessments follow a similar format...

With mine the first thing checked was height, weight and blood pressure...

I then had to answer numerous questions regarding general health and past medical history etc.... Also a urine sample was taken..

Finally lungs were listened to and numerous electrodes / sensors attached to various parts me and what I assume to be an EGG was performed.....

Nothing to worry about.......but my blood pressure was found to be high at the time and I had to go home and take readings over the next few days and report those readings to the clinical nurse when she rang...

In my case it was proved to be ' White Coat Hypertension ' as my readings at home were absolutely fine! 

I took records of my BP readings to hospital when I went in for surgery just in case.... just as well as my BP was high again, but on my notes it was recorded as suffering from White Coat Hypertension!

MY BP has been below 120 / 80 since my Op, so I'm happy that I don't need any treatment...

Hope all goes well for you

Best Wishes,

Luther

User
Posted 06 Jul 2014 at 19:55

For me, very much the same as Luther.  I was also swabbed (armpits and nose) for MRSA.  I was also given a very useful list of what to bring with me to the hospital on the day of the operation.

User
Posted 06 Jul 2014 at 20:16

Hi Carlos,

You'll be seen by a nurse who will give you a basic medical.

So expect the following:

Qusestions re. who you are, your contact details, next of kin, any previous medical conditions, any previous surgery you've had and any medication you're under.

Questions relating to your heart, breathing, brain, blood, kidneys and liver (of the Yes / No type).

Questions relating to your hospital admission and discharge e.g. do you live alone, who will care for you after the operation etc.

The nurse will take your height, weight, BMI, pulse, blood pressure and temperature. You will have a blood test and an ECG. Finally you'll be asked to give a urine specimen.

If everything is lined up you'll be through in an hour. Piece of cake. If not, the above may happen in any order. you may be seen by more than one nurse, and you'll probably be in a queue, so I suggest you also take a good book or a fully charged smart phone.

Depending on how your urology department works you may also be invited to attend a Pre-prostatectomy Preparation Clinic. This is a group sesion which introduces the prostate team, what happens during the operation, wound care, dealing with the catheter, erectile dysfunction etc. Otherwise, this (or some of it) could be covered too.

flexi

User
Posted 06 Jul 2014 at 20:25
Thanks guys.

I'm a little worried on the blood pressure side. I've been on to my GP for years as I'm usually up around 165/85. He classes that as the upper side of normal but says it's the lower number that's the one to watch, not necessarily the upper one. He says as long as I'm below 90, that's ok.

It's my biggest worry at the moment. It's also the reason I started running 4 years ago to try & bring it down but it's never budged. . I'll be gutted if the op can't go ahead for that reason? I might go and see my GP next week and see what he reckons.

My resting heart rate is usually in the high 40's or low 50's so I know the ticker is a good en.

Fingers crossed & thanks again.

Carlos.

User
Posted 07 Jul 2014 at 11:03

Don't worry unduly about your blood pressure. I had been taking Losartan for mine and was told not to take one the day before the operation. On the morning of the op I went into the side ward and my blood pressure was taken and it was very high indeed. It came down a bit after I had taken a tablet and they still went ahead with the op.

You'll be okay,

Steve 

User
Posted 07 Jul 2014 at 19:40

Hi carlos

I too was worried about high blood pressure stopping the OP going ahead, pre op nurse had said they would not go ahead with op if blood pressure high. On day of OP I voiced my concerns with aneisthatist but he was not concerned and the OP went ahead.

Good luck with OP

Frank

User
Posted 07 Jul 2014 at 19:53
Thanks guys.

I'm on a mission for the next few weeks to get the blood pressure down as much as I can. A change of lifestyle I should have embraced years ago. I've swapped my coffee for tea, lots & lots of fruit & veg & white meat only.

I've put a bit of weight on round the middle over the past few months and determined to get rid of it too. It seems with me, I can exercise as much as I like. It's mostly about what I shove in my gob.

I could do with taping it up with gaffer tape at 9pm when the munchies strike.

I am getting a bit nervous & feeling a bit isolated lately. I'll crack on!

User
Posted 08 Jul 2014 at 00:49

Funny you should say that....I can exercise as much as I like, swim, cycle etc. but my weight is determined on the whole by what I eat and exercise has only a minimal effect. Even alcohol doesn't really make much difference...I need to starve to lose weight.

Steve