I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

User
Posted 08 Jul 2014 at 08:49

A report in todays press indicates a possible link between bike rides and PCa.     Men over 50 were found to have double the incidence of PCa if they rode their bikes for as little as half an hour a day.   The increase went up six times for men riding a bike for eight hours forty five mins a week.  They dont know why.  Reported in Journal of Men's Health - Dr Hamer UCL. You may wish to warn your sons,brothers,significant others.http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif

User
Posted 09 Jul 2014 at 17:19

Hi! I just wanted to share a statement that our Director of Research, Dr Iain Frame, has just put out about this study:

"We've known for some time that cycling and other vigorous exercise can often increase a man’s PSA level – a marker used to help indicate if there may be a problem with the prostate, such as cancer and other prostate diseases. As a result men are encouraged not to take part in vigorous exercise 48 hours before having a PSA test so that the results are as accurate as possible. Much less is known about whether cycling could actually increase a man’s risk of prostate cancer.

"The findings of this study should not be a cause of immediate concern for keen cyclists. Based on these results alone it’s very difficult to conclude that cycling could increase a man’s risk of the disease – a point emphasised by the authors of the study themselves. It is however an area that warrants further investigation and we look forward to the results of future trials."

User
Posted 09 Jul 2014 at 17:35

Interesting.....

I was a very keen cyclist for many years  ( bum up, head down variety http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif  ) but with a family history of Pca I was presumably deemed to be at  a higher risk anyway....

I don't regret all my years on the bike even if the study does prove to be valid....

User
Posted 10 Jul 2014 at 09:24
Thanks for your replies. Not all men are told to avoid rigorous exercise before PSA tests. GPs need to know this and make men aware. Don't think it effected OH's results as later PSA doubled without exercise but it would be terrible to think some men may have had unneeded treatment because of this.
User
Posted 10 Jul 2014 at 12:12
So I shall continue with the Gym but instead of doing 15k on the bike, 6k on the treadmill and 4k on the cross trainer. I shall just stand on one leg for half an hour

Is there anything we can do or eat #damnyouPca

Bri

User
Posted 10 Jul 2014 at 20:32
I was waiting for my appointment in the waiting room yesterday and pursued a copy "Stud Hunk Man" magazine. In it were the following articles relating to PCa.

Apparently Ginger, Oregano and Rosemary rubbed in to your meat reduces cancer cell growth by 78%. Now this got me thinking, and wondering what TF do they mean?

Rubbing that concoction into "your meat"? Well, I had a go last night.

According to the Columbian Presbyterian Medical Centre climaxing 21 x a month cuts the risk of PCa. Not for me it didn't.

And finally, iodine in tablet form, but not too much also deters PCa.

Not sure if any of this is true?

dave

User
Posted 11 Jul 2014 at 09:36

Hi Brian,  Eat everything,do everything, just switch the brain off!  What about latest- vasectomy under age  38  can "cause" PCa.  ?  Dave- no comment !!

User
Posted 12 Jul 2014 at 09:55

Oh Gawd! You should see the seat on my new bike...

User
Posted 12 Jul 2014 at 15:21
Yep I can tick the vasectomy before 38 box. I think I recall them saying there was a slight increased risk of cancer.......it won't happen to me syndrome kicked in

Bri

User
Posted 12 Jul 2014 at 19:15
Yup, I can tick the vasectomy box too. I never felt the same after mine. Slight reduced sex drive too.

Anyway, 'stud hunk magazine'????? Rubbing things into into ones 'meat'?????? What in earth was the appointment and where the heck were you? Are you sure you were in the right place & not somewhere very dodgy?

Life's a Marathon. Run in peace.

User
Posted 12 Jul 2014 at 19:23
Yip yet another box Eric can tick.

I am also wondering what waiting room you were in ?

Carol

User
Posted 12 Jul 2014 at 21:09
My spouse also in vasectomy camp and also had benign testicular tumour at age 50. He is now 63 and I have said for a while that I think theres a connection with the vasectomy. The latest reports surprise me not! Will statins be the next questionable prescription medication??
Max

"You can only play the hand you're dealt"

User
Posted 13 Jul 2014 at 10:49

Non vasectomy camp here,it is what it is.