I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Anything to worry about??

User
Posted 10 Jul 2014 at 19:37

Hi.  Last time I posted on here, I think my dad's PSA level had risen from 2 up to 10 and I was starting to get a bit worried as I have read plenty on here about PSA levels doubling.  However, on his last blood test, his PSA has risen to 13.  Am I right in thinking that this is not necessarily anything to worry about.  Does this mean that his current medication isn't working as well?  Dad's GP is thinking that maybe he has an infection and that's why the levels have risen even though he doesn't have any symptoms to indicate him having an infection.    Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated.

User
Posted 08 Nov 2014 at 01:48

Rachel, ask dad to request at the appointment that all letters are copied to you as well as dad's GP. Judging from other people's experience on here, you will quickly become frustrated and anxious when your parents can't recall for you everything they were told, or failed to ask a question you want the answer to :-(

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Nov 2014 at 21:44

Hi Rachel,

My OH is in a similar situation as your Dad he is on HT and has been since diagnosis over 18mths ago. Trevor has had heart attacks and a stroke so a lot of treatments are not available to us. Chemo is very strong and one of the treatments that Trevor would not be able to cope with. We have been told that he could have RT but only below the waist due to a defibulator in his chest.

Everyone is different and I presume it would depend on your Dad's heart and previous medical history. Would you be able to go along next Tue it often helps to have someone extra to take things in.

I will be thinking of your Dad.

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 11 Jul 2014 at 15:42
There are people on this forum with far greater knowledge than me but my husband is similar to your dads. He has bone mets. On diagnosis on december 2012 his psa was 6.45. We were told that aggressove pca can give liw psa results. Over time and treatments with ht and more recntly casodex his psa has been as low as 1.89 and as high as 12. His onco now believes his latest rise and doubling time of two months means casodex is now failing. He has just had bone and ct scans with a view to chemo. Hope this helps.
Max

"You can only play the hand you're dealt"

User
Posted 11 Jul 2014 at 17:10
The don't have any contact with my GP on treatment for my PCa. Instead I have regular reviews with oncol at a major local hospital. It may be that because I don't have mets my experience may not be helpful: I am on HT having recently completed RT. However, I've been told that if my PSA rises by more than 2 they will intervene with other treatment. I believe the low intervention threshold is as Max203 says: the more aggressive types of PCa do not necessarily generate large volumes of PSA.

Viv

User
Posted 05 Nov 2014 at 17:42

Things have certainly moved on with Dad.  He has recently been put on Casodex as well as Zoladex as Onco said that Zoladex was only controlling about 80% of the cancer so needed a top up treatment.  He was due a blood test in a couple of weeks but has in the last week been getting quite a bit of pain in his chest/back area.  After an emergency appointment with the prostate nurse he has been given an appointment for next Tuesday to see the Onco.  Not sure what that will entail, maybe more scans??  Not sure what treatment might be next if needed, as I am pretty sure I have read somewhere that he cannot have RT or maybe Chemo due to past medical history of a stroke/heart attack.  Does anyone know if this is right? 

User
Posted 05 Nov 2014 at 21:44

Hi Rachel,

My OH is in a similar situation as your Dad he is on HT and has been since diagnosis over 18mths ago. Trevor has had heart attacks and a stroke so a lot of treatments are not available to us. Chemo is very strong and one of the treatments that Trevor would not be able to cope with. We have been told that he could have RT but only below the waist due to a defibulator in his chest.

Everyone is different and I presume it would depend on your Dad's heart and previous medical history. Would you be able to go along next Tue it often helps to have someone extra to take things in.

I will be thinking of your Dad.

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 06 Nov 2014 at 19:36

Hi Julie

Thanks for your reply. 

Sorry to hear that your OH has also been through the medical mill.  He sounds like my dad in that he has had to face many difficult times in his life but he is always ready to keep fighting.

Unfortunately I will not be able to attend the appointment next week as mum and dad live in Kent and I live in Gloucestershire.  Hopefully the Drs will explain things well to them as they don't tend to ask questions.

Will let you know what happens.

Rachel

User
Posted 08 Nov 2014 at 01:48

Rachel, ask dad to request at the appointment that all letters are copied to you as well as dad's GP. Judging from other people's experience on here, you will quickly become frustrated and anxious when your parents can't recall for you everything they were told, or failed to ask a question you want the answer to :-(

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Nov 2014 at 20:39

Received good news today.  Dad has been back to the hospital today and has been reassured that the pains he was feeling in his back/chest were down to the cold that he had recently.  Possibly pulled something with all his coughing or maybe a chest infection.  He was given antibiotics and painkillers from his GP last week and has felt better and better since.  Huge relief as we know he has the cancer in his spine.  He had a blood test today (1st one since being in Casodex) so fingers crossed that PSA has gone back down.  Next appointment with Onco is on 16th December all being well.

Lyn - Mum does send me a copy of the Drs letters as she gets them, but we don't always know what they mean.  Thank goodness for this site, I find a lot of things explained on here.