Error

Dads small cell cancer

User
Posted 10 October 2016 09:41:22(UTC)

TURNING THE PAGE AGAIN

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 11 October 2016 09:41:00(UTC)

Dad seems no better so Mum is calling the GP again.Obviously worried for him and ive offered help although Mum assures me they have food and shopping xx

User
Posted 23 February 2017 18:57:51(UTC)

I have been reading this thread and with your last post being in October, I can only pray that your dad is still holding on. My father in law, who is almost 74, was diagnosed with stage 4 gleason 10 prostate cancer February of last year. We just found out last week he now has small cell carcinoma. This is so heart wrenching. Today he went in and they are going to do a full body scan and MRI on his brain next week. His memory/thought process has gotten so bad. This small cell carcinoma is the worst news we could have gotten. We do know last year that his cancer had spread to his spine, bladder, ribs, lymph nodes and actually his whole pelvic region. He did a trial of Chemo a year ago and it almost killed him so now he is only on palliative care. They took him off of his xtandi today which I know is going to upset him. I can only hope that it makes him feel better to not be on it. Do you have any advice? He lives alone and has 4 kids. My husband is the only one he really wants but he gets upset when my husband corrects him. Most things my husband lets slide but when it is important things, my husband feels the need to explain and then his dad just gets upset. This is going to be a long road and I am praying that they can spare my father in law of terrible pain. :(

User
Posted 23 February 2017 21:24:08(UTC)

Hi Lisalou, Cookiegirl hasn't been on the site since the day after her last post; I suspect her dad died within a few days as he was clearly in the very final stages of the disease.

I am sorry that your father-in-law has now been diagnosed with small cell; as you have obviously realised, it is a dreadful version because it is so hard to treat and the end can be very quick, especially if it has gone to his lungs, liver or brain. Has he been referred to a hospice or Macmillan service? If not, you need to get that done asap as they will hopefully have day care, alternative therapies, support for your husband etc plus generally the hospice teams are far better at pain management than GPs or hospitals are. The hospice will also have a social worker who can advise you on how to apply for benefits for f-i-l, which he is now entitled to because he is terminally ill. This money is to help pay for any practical things he might need (such as hand rails, mobility scooter, etc) or to pay towards any care he might need.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 February 2017 14:00:57(UTC)

He has not been referred to hospice or Macmillan service (I have never heard of this.  We are in the US so maybe that is why.  I believe he would have to go through the hospice program here). He is very difficult man and will not do this until he feels he is ready. He is very bull headed and doesn't want people running his life. Honestly, he is in denial at how bad his cancer his. He does not understand that he now has small cell carcinoma. His oncologist is not really explaining it to him because he knows he will not understand. They have to put things very simply for him. My husband is his power of attorney so he is watching closely. I think after we receive the results next Tuesday on the scans my husband will have to take steps as you have stated above. I very much appreciate the information and I will pass this on to my husband. This is a terrible disease. You want your family member around as long as you can have them but you don't want to see the pain that is coming for them. You just hope and pray that it goes fast.

User
Posted 27 February 2017 20:52:09(UTC)

They were supposed to do an mri scan tomorrow but we had him in the emergency room this past Friday night. They did a head ct scan and said that they found nothing (I am assuming they were looking for signs of a stroke). Now the office is not doing the MRI tomorrow because they said they learned what they needed to know from the ct scan. They did however find a thoracic aneurism which they said is not terrible but to let his cardiologist know about it. So much going on and none of it is encouraging.

User
Posted 28 February 2017 00:28:57(UTC)

Ah, I didn't realise you were in the States Lisa. Ignore most of what I said about benefits and Macmillan nurses; unfortunately they are UK things :-(

Re the head scan, they may have been checking that there was no sign of mets to the brain or skull - has he got some weird side effects? Whatever they were looking for, it is good news that they didn't find it, I think?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 February 2017 01:17:22(UTC)
Hi All,
I'm a bit in shock as my Dad age 71 was just diagnosed with small cell prostate cancer today. Everything I'm reading is not very positive! We see oncologist this week. It's such a shock as my Dad is so healthy and just had great blood work results always had normal Psa. I'm very scared! Does anyone know if any new treatment approaches? They are talking chemo, but are there any others? Thanks in advance,
B
User
Posted 28 February 2017 09:07:57(UTC)

Hello bnelson and welcome to the site.

I don't know anything about small cell prostate cancer so cannot advise.

You are welcome to post on this page as you have, but it might be easier for you in the future if you start again with your own thread as sometimes a person's query will be lost among the original poster's thread.

I'm sure cookiegirl, lisalou and Lyn will answer you though

I'm just thinking that it might make the site easier for you to navigate back to your posts if you keep yours separate.

User
Posted 28 February 2017 10:00:46(UTC)

I think Johsan is right, it would be better if both Lisa and bnelson started their own threads - it might be very upsetting for cookie girl if she suddenly starts getting notifications from the forum when she is probably still grieving.

Thanked 1 time
User
Posted 02 March 2017 14:10:14(UTC)

This thread has been so helpful to me just reading it and the stories and the struggles of everyone here helps me not feel alone. My dad has been diagnosed with small cell about 2 weeks ago, but they suspect that he has had it for the past 2 years or had some kind of the prostate cancer. he is 85 and i am the only caregiver as he is divorced and my brother is not very helpful. I lost my job 2 months ago which in some way is a blessing in disguise as i can spend more time with him and manage his doc appointments. I relate to LisaLou as my father is very difficult man, he does not trust doctors , thinks they just want to kill him or make money. We are here in Florida USA and I my self am having a very hard time dealing with all of this without breaking down .
Any words from you here will be helpful and i really don't have many people i can talk to :-(((
thank you again for this thread and the kind people on here.

User
Posted 02 March 2017 14:11:59(UTC)

LisaLou , 

I am in similar situation with my father who is 85 and hard headed and stubborn and does not trust doctors and is in denial and refuses to accept his situation. 

I would appreciate your comments and updates

User
Posted 02 March 2017 18:17:50(UTC)

But ideally those comments and updates need to be on torebh's thread rather than this one. I am sure nobody would want to cause any distress to cookiegirl by keeping her thread live. She hasn't logged on for many months but it is possible that she receives an e-mail alert every time one of us posts anything :-(

Thanked 2 times
User
Posted 11 March 2017 21:00:19(UTC)

Hi everyone.good news is Dads daffodils have come up around the rugby club and Dad is still here to see them!! He has recently been in good health walking around etc.He and mum celebrated their 51st anniversary.unbelievable that he was given months to live in 2015.I wished I hadn't worried so much when he WS diagnosed in 2012..Yes he has been very I'll several times but he is still here thanks to chemotherapy. I hope his story gives hope to others diagnosed with this rare type.they thought he had the usual type of prostate cancer first for perhaps two yrs before the small cell type.it was mum who spotted the symptoms while battling her own stage 4 cancer. My heart goes out to everyone whose dear Dad's are suffering and I will keep my fingers crossed for you.Thank you Lynn for your continued support.Perhaps the newcomers should start their own threads that way anyone searching for support can gain more advice.love to all Paula xx

Thanked 10 times
User
Posted 11 March 2017 22:01:47(UTC)

Hi Paula
Despite the awfulness of it all I'm so pleased you all seem to have reached a comfortable place. Hope for everyone and a very well kept post for sufferers to follow. Your dad is so lucky to have such a devoted genuinely caring daughter. Best continued wishes
Chris

If life gives you lemons , then make lemonade
Thanked 1 time
User
Posted 11 March 2017 23:01:53(UTC)

Well that is wonderful news Cookiegirl, my heart sank when I saw how long it was since you had checked in.

Spring is such a beautiful time, and always filled with hope xxx

Thanked 1 time
User
Posted 12 March 2017 05:20:19(UTC)

Thank you for the positive update Paula.

Like Lyn I was concerned when I looked at new conversations to see you had posted so I was very pleased to see the update.

I know you must be so proud of your parents but equally, they have every right to be proud of their caring and supportive daughter.

Thanked 1 time
User
Posted 12 March 2017 08:34:28(UTC)
I have no idea why we've been so lucky.mum will be ten yrs since stage 4 diagnosis and Dad five if they make august.Living proof that cancer is a journey with so many unpredictable twists and turns. I don't dwell on the future now just celebrate the fact they ate here.Thank you all for your replies it means so much from people who understand xx
User
Posted 17 March 2017 01:19:57(UTC)
Ahhh Paula,
So lovely to hear from you and with such a positive update like Lyn I feared the worst when you hadn't posted for such a long time. As you say your mum and dad are such an inspiration to so many hearing the worst news . I hope your new job continues to go well also.
BFN
Julie X
NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 17 March 2017 08:43:14(UTC)
Paula, just seeing you post that your Dad is still here has brought a tear of joy to my eye. So happy for you and family. I do hope your new job has worked out well now as the one you had a while back sounded like a horrible place to be. Keep posting even if it's just good stuff as gives us all hope.

©2017 Prostate Cancer UK