I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Out with Prostate Cancer North West August Meeting - gay,bisexual,support group,manchester,out with prostate cancer

User
Posted 30 Jul 2014 at 22:14

Out with Prostate Cancer North West normally meets the first Saturday of every month at The Lesbian and Gay Foundation in Manchester between 2-4 pm. However, The Lesbian and Gay Foundation is closed for maintenance this Saturday and so the next meeting will take place the following Saturday on 9th August, same time same place.

Martin Wells, who facilitates the support group, recently recorded a podcast for Pure 107.8 FM's LGBT radio show 'Under the Rainbow' explaining why prostate cancer support groups specifically for gay and bisexual men are needed. You can listen to the podcast here.

Best Wishes

Sean Ralph

Secretary/Treasurer

Out with Prostate Cancer

Facebook/Twitter/Website

Edited by member 31 Jul 2014 at 12:47  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Aug 2014 at 16:42
Well Sean for the life of me I cannot see any valid reason why gay men with prostate cancer need a separate support group. I have been a member of a support group for a number of years, we do not discriminate in any way shape or form regardless to race, religion,creed or no creed, political opinions or sexual orientation, we are all victims of a dreadful disease. I cannot imagine any other support acting in a different manner than the one I attend, we all support each other regardless of ones circumstances, just the same as this site does.

However you and others are entitled to your personal opinions and I respect that, just that I find it a little concerning seeing that support for PCa victims may not all be singing from the same hymn sheet. However I wish you and your support group success in your support for those you support.

Larry

Edited by member 01 Aug 2014 at 19:00  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Aug 2014 at 20:47
Larry, there are some very specific issues that make PCa a very different experience for men who have sex with men. Treatments, side effects, even just the problem of having to tell medics over and over again. Leaflets and NHS info all presume, talking about the impact on wives and girlfriends. Have you ever seen an info leaflet that mentions how long a man should wait before having anal sex post-RP? No, because without groups like this one, that advice doesn't exist.

We have a number of gay men that are members of this forum, not all of whom have felt able to state this publicly. Looking back at old threads, it seems to me that the last two to join us and ask for help as gay men received very few responses. Sean, Martin and others are running a great service here and as far as I know, people travel from all over the country to attend. Don't knock it.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Aug 2014 at 16:42
Well Sean for the life of me I cannot see any valid reason why gay men with prostate cancer need a separate support group. I have been a member of a support group for a number of years, we do not discriminate in any way shape or form regardless to race, religion,creed or no creed, political opinions or sexual orientation, we are all victims of a dreadful disease. I cannot imagine any other support acting in a different manner than the one I attend, we all support each other regardless of ones circumstances, just the same as this site does.

However you and others are entitled to your personal opinions and I respect that, just that I find it a little concerning seeing that support for PCa victims may not all be singing from the same hymn sheet. However I wish you and your support group success in your support for those you support.

Larry

Edited by member 01 Aug 2014 at 19:00  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Aug 2014 at 20:47
Larry, there are some very specific issues that make PCa a very different experience for men who have sex with men. Treatments, side effects, even just the problem of having to tell medics over and over again. Leaflets and NHS info all presume, talking about the impact on wives and girlfriends. Have you ever seen an info leaflet that mentions how long a man should wait before having anal sex post-RP? No, because without groups like this one, that advice doesn't exist.

We have a number of gay men that are members of this forum, not all of whom have felt able to state this publicly. Looking back at old threads, it seems to me that the last two to join us and ask for help as gay men received very few responses. Sean, Martin and others are running a great service here and as far as I know, people travel from all over the country to attend. Don't knock it.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 19 Sep 2014 at 00:07

Apologies for the very late reply

Thanks Lyn, you took the words right out of my mouth. Always nice to hear from someone who just gets it.

Larry, I am really glad to hear that the support group you attend is open minded and does not discriminate against people based on their protected characteristics. Unfortunately, not everyone is quite as open minded! A couple of our members have reported incidences of heterosexual men with prostate cancer coming out with extremely homophobic comments, but thankfully those are few and far between.

As Lyn has kindly pointed out there are some specific issues that can affect gay and bisexual men which they may not be comfortable discussing in front of a group of heterosexual men and conversely that heterosexual men may not be comfortable listening to.

How comfortable would most heterosexual men be listening to a gay or bisexual man discuss how prostate cancer and its treatments have affected their relationship with their partner and/or ability to give and/or receive anal sex and how equipped would they be to offer advice or support on these issues?

I would liken this to a woman with cervical cancer attending a general cancer support group that has male and female members. Would you expect a woman in this setting to feel comfortable discussing vaginal dilators and how her treatment has affected her sex life in front of both the male and female members?

Putting these specific issues to one side the vast majority of gay and bisexual men who are developing prostate cancer at the moment will have lived at a time when homosexuality was illegal and classed as a mental disorder, with the added danger of losing their job if outed. All of these men will also have lived through the AIDS epidemic of the 1980s. This combined with their own individual experiences of coming out is likely to have resulted in feelings of stigma and shame which, once embedded, shapes lives and may therefore make it extremely difficult for these men to ‘out’ themselves to a group of heterosexual men in a support group setting.

I would argue that if you can’t be 100% yourself in a support group, no holds barred, warts and all, that this will be a barrier to you feeling completely supported in that environment.

I am sure that there are plenty of gay and bisexual men out there that with prostate cancer that would not feel the need or see the point of attending a support group specifically for them, but there are also plenty of men out there that do need this more targeted support and for them there are the three support groups, Out with Prostate Cancer North West, Out with Prostate Cancer Midlands and the METRO Walnut in London.

Thanks for your well wishes Larry and I wish you all the best for the future.

Best Wishes

Sean Ralph

Secretary/Treasurer

Out with Prostate Cancer

Facebook/Twitter/Website