I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Husband diagnosed with prostate cancer

User
Posted 21 Feb 2018 at 19:22
Hi everyone, my husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer stage 3, Gleason 8, 3 months ago. All a bit of a shock as only went to doctors for an earache ๐Ÿ™„, all of a sudden he is having PSA checked as he is just over 50. Well that was the start of it. Came back as just over 9. Had a biopsy which confirmed the cancer. So surgery is not an option as he is on warfarin due to a aortic valve replacement and severe sleep apnea. He was started on hormone therapy. So we have seen the oncologist today who was very positive and he will hopefully be having high dose rate brachytherapy in combination with external beam radiotherapy. My husband is very positive and I am trying to be but due to working in general practice I have certain knowledge and access to information which sometimes scares the life out of me. I suppose I am just looking for some reassurance from you guys and any advice so I can support him the best I can.

Thank you all ๐Ÿ˜Š
User
Posted 21 Feb 2018 at 20:38

Hi Amanda, please be reassured that you are not going through this alone. I was in the same position as you over 5 years ago. It's the fear of the Unknown but countless people on here gave me help and support then and they are doing it again now. Stay positive and don't be afraid to ask anything. It's not an easy ride being the other half. You can only do your best. I was very happy I found this place.

Denise x

User
Posted 21 Feb 2018 at 20:42
Thank you Denise, so glad I found this group, doesnโ€™t make you feel so alone. All a bit daunting at the mo but Iโ€™m sure all will come good.

Amanda x
User
Posted 21 Feb 2018 at 21:18

Hello Amanda

Well both your husband and the oncologist are very positive so that's a good start.

As Denise says, it isn't easy being the other half, but we do our best eh?

Just keep supporting him as best you can and let us support you.

You are no longer alone

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 21 Feb 2018 at 21:20

Thank you for your kind words x

User
Posted 21 Feb 2018 at 22:18
Hia amanda sorry youve had to start this journey, this forum is fantastic lots of kind people offering valuable advice and kind words, my OH is the same age as yours had HD brachytherapy and just finished radiotherapy, gleason9 t3b very similar diagnosis, hes doing well still on zloladex for another 18months, we were shocked and scared at first didnt now what to expect, still not cured if he ever will be we dont know, still got a long way to go but up to now not many side effects and continued working through his treatment, so its not all bad news, take care wish you well..jo.xx