Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Just diagnosed a word of thanks

User
Posted 30 May 2018 at 11:13

Greetings 

I have just come back from the hospital having found out I have been diagnosed with PCa Gleason 7 (4+3)  PSA 10,  apparently the chances are its contained but I am due a CT and bone scan to confirm.

You never think its going to happen to you especially when you have had no symptoms at all, the only reason I had a PSA test was my wife's insistence  and news of Stephen Fry and Bill Turnbull.

After my PSA test results I consulted Google as you do and found this site it has been a great help in understanding what was going on and all the posts were very informative, although sometimes a tough read. It enabled me to go into the meeting this morning informed and definitely lessened the shock.  

So my message is thanks to all you contributors it has been a great help. I will keep my profile updated it may help someone along the way.

Good luck to you all.  

User
Posted 31 May 2018 at 12:06

Good Luck Bollinge

Keep us posted

User
Posted 02 Jun 2018 at 20:32

Hi John,

Surgery was under NHS at Royal Berks in Reading.

Cheers

Jes

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 30 May 2018 at 11:57
Hello Bobm and belated welcome to the site

As you have found out for yourself, this site is brilliant for the help and advice it gives us, especially new people who are naturally in panic mode.

please come back and update us as you say, when you've had your scans.

Good luck
We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 30 May 2018 at 12:09

Hi Bob,

My husband has the same Gleason score exactly with a PSA of 13.4 and no symptom.  Like you, he is booked for a bone scan to ensure no further spread but it looks localised.  Fingers crossed 🤞 

Of the two treatments offered he has elected to go for the surgery to remove the prostate and this is booked for Friday, 13 July.  It’s a good job we’re not superstitious!  

The NHS have been 1st class.  

i await your next post with interest as we seem to be on a parallel course....

janet

User
Posted 30 May 2018 at 13:11
Hi Janet

Yes your right very similar including brilliant service from the NHS, all being well I also will opt for surgery, good luck with the scans keep us posted

User
Posted 30 May 2018 at 15:12
My best wishes to you...

'Become informed - learn about the thing' is perhaps the best any of us can do.

Shock and worry are natural - so I hope you don't get too dragged-down.

:-)
User
Posted 31 May 2018 at 11:32
As someone with no symptoms diagnosed in January with the same Gleason score as you and Janet’s husband, I must say the NHS (hospital side) has been fantastic. The cancer seems to be contained, my bone scan is normal and I am undergoing surgery on Monday.

My surgeon says he can cure me, so fingers crossed for us all!
User
Posted 31 May 2018 at 12:06

Good Luck Bollinge

Keep us posted

User
Posted 01 Jun 2018 at 13:12

Similar situation to my own case: no symptoms and as fit now as when I was playing football in my 20's. I only went for a PSA test as a friend had passed away with PC and his wife kept nagging me. 

I was diagnosed in March with a Gleason 3+3 but nothing showing on the mpMRI; so now on AS which I am pretty relaxed about.

The NHS has been superb as has this wonderful site enabling one to shine a torch in what was once the dark: it is just so much more comforting when you can find out about your condition from sympathetic yet pragmatic experts.

Bollinge may I wish you the very best of luck with your operation; it would be great if you could keep us informed of your progress.

User
Posted 01 Jun 2018 at 18:16

Hi there,

Not been on the site for a while but just seen this trail. I am 60 and had the robotic prostatectomy on the 10th April. Brilliant NHS service from start to finish. Recovered really well, no continence issues at all. I feel blessed and very grateful for the skills of all involved.

iI really do feel like a new man. Only problems lie on the erection front, but that is totally expected and there are a number of things that can be done for that.

I hope all goes well for you. Good luck.

Jes

User
Posted 02 Jun 2018 at 14:45
Hi Jes,

Might I enquire where you had your surgery?

Cheers, John
User
Posted 02 Jun 2018 at 20:32

Hi John,

Surgery was under NHS at Royal Berks in Reading.

Cheers

Jes