Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Should I undergo RT?

User
Posted 02 Sep 2014 at 19:13

Hi all,

I posted the below as a response to another conversation but probably should have started a new conversation - so here it is.

Any thoughts/experiences/advice very welcome!

"I'm trying to decide weather to go for it (RT) or not. A year ago scans showed mets in my spine but after a year on hormones - much to my Consultant's surprise, and my delight - a new scan has revealed that they are now "all but gone and if it wasn't for my previous history on file might even be regarded as just 'wear and tear' do to age" Great news at it now means Consultant feels it is worth trying to cure the disease rather than just long term manage.

It's a hard choice though because, with the hormones I'm pretty much ok and unaffected day to day 9bit of tiredness, hot flushes but that's it. Whereas I'll be honest, the potential side effects of RT have frightened me a tad. I don't mind what I go through during treatment if it wears off. it's the longer term problems that may crop up further down the line that I worry about - even though I know that the chances are low.

I'm probably being daft as the chance of a complete cure as opposed to long term 'management' (which will ultimately start to fail) has to be grabbed. Right?"

Cheers.

Sammy.

User
Posted 02 Sep 2014 at 20:03
Hi Sammy - go for it. Most like I tolerated it well. Check my profile - served me well. Plus 3 bowel screening tests all OK - good luck - Ray - I pass on why return key doesn't work.
User
Posted 02 Sep 2014 at 21:12

Hi Sammy,

Great news.

Yes, I agree, go for it.  Anything that gives you chance of a cure must be worth it.

I'm due to start radiotherapy in October so I'm a bit nervous about what will happen with side effects but a possible cure is what everyone wants so I prepared to put up with anything the treatment throws at me.

Best of luck.

Steve

User
Posted 02 Sep 2014 at 21:56
Most men are generally fine from reading this site. Go for it!! Our Onco said "lets deal with this cancer now and if another (bowel) comes along in 10 years time we will deal with that one then" You will be monitored and hopefully anything nasty caught early Good Luck.Alison
User
Posted 02 Sep 2014 at 23:42
Thanks so much guys. The positivity has set me up for a good night's sleep!

I'm going to an open evening at the radio therapy centre tomorrow, then meeting with my consultant. I know the right choice is to go for it and, that once decided there must only be looking forward - no looking back. I'm a very positive guy 95% of the time but the brief periods of doubt are very powerful. Finding this site has been great.

If I may I'll keep you all informed.

User
Posted 03 Sep 2014 at 10:39

Hi Sammy, I think you should take advantage of what treatment is offered.  I had 37 sessions of radiotherapy last year, the only side effects were tiredness and a little soreness at the rear.  Aqueous cream helped the soreness.  I went to North Middx hospital and they were all really good.  The treatment is painless and only takes a few minutes.  The only downside for me which I think contributed to the tiredness was the early start in the morning.  Along with others I had to drink a bottle of water to fill my bladder about an hour before they did the radiotherapy so there was a bit of a wait each time but talking with the other men (and women with their own cancers) passed the time ok.  Everyone was so positive and that really helped.