Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Learning to live with prostate cance

User
Posted 09 Sep 2014 at 10:47

Hi All

I have been learning to live with prostate cancer for the past couple of months. It came as a bolt out of the blue although I had been having some flow problems for a while. Having heart failure for a number of years means that I am taking a range of medication including diuretics and the flow problems were always put down to managing them.

In June my PSA result was 85 so I was immediately sent to Urology for a biopsy and scans. The biopsy showed bilateral extensive disease with positive PC in all 12 cores with a Gleason score of 7 (3+4). Fortunately the scans turned out negative so my diagnosis is T2cN0M0 high risk localised. 

I was immediately started on HT and saw an Oncologist on 2nd September to discuss RT. He wants to wait for 3 months or so before starting RT. Blood test results yesterday - REALLY GOOD NEWS - my PSA has come down to 3.35 so at least the HT is working.

The side effects of HT haven't been too bad - yet! Fatigue is the worst but I've managed to steer clear of hot flushes so far. Other health problems make things a bit difficult. I have had problems with kidney function over recent years. In July my kidney function dropped quite low (eGF 22) but I didn't find out about it until I saw the oncologist last week. The blood test results yesterday showed an improvement in kidney function (up to 37) but I am a little concerned that the drop in kidney function might be a side effect of the HT.

I have been following conversations on this site since July and find the support you all offer to each other inspiring. We all have different journeys to travel and from my involvement so far I take comfort from the stories you have to tell and the determination you show in dealing with this awful disease.

Best wishes

Michael 

User
Posted 09 Sep 2014 at 21:22

Dear Michael

I have just responded to you but it has disappeared, so apologies if this turns up twice.

I just wanted to say that I am sorry that you have had to join us here but am sure that you will find some wonderful support.

My OH has a similar dx to yourself. Many of us are on a similar treatment pattern too.

With your previous heart problems this must seem like another blow and the side effects do get difficult to determine where they are coming from (when you are taking a number of drugs).

Best of luck with your treatment.

Alison

User
Posted 09 Sep 2014 at 23:18
Dear Alison

Thanks for your kind words.

I am fortunately blessed with terrific support from Jenny, my wife, and four wonderful children. We all try to be there for each other not knowing what the future holds. Together we'll get through it. We just take one day at a time. I just hope and pray that I will have the strength to deal with whatever comes my way.

I take a lot of encouragement from the conversations you and others post on this site.

User
Posted 09 Sep 2014 at 23:38

The importance of the support of your current partner can never, ever, be underestimated. You are very fortunate, to have that support, very lucky indeed. I am happy for you.

Dave

User
Posted 10 Sep 2014 at 07:19

You are right, Dave.

This disease certainly teaches you what is really important in life and puts silly worries into perspective.

Michael, you certainly have the right attitude and your family will help you through this.

You are still in shock mode, which is the worst part and once the treatments gets going you will feel better. With an already good start you can be positive and hope for a "cure". Hang on to this thought.

Alison

User
Posted 10 Sep 2014 at 09:52

Your comments indicate you’re on a firm learning path. My experience is it’s a never ending learning path. The good news on that is of course I’m aiming to learn even more as that way I’m living longer. So I hope likewise you carry on learning for many years to come.

Good luck

Ray