I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Travel Insurance to CHINA

User
Posted 15 Sep 2014 at 14:44

Has anyone got any experience/recommendations in regard to Travel Insurance for a two/three week trip/tour of China in mid-2015.  I have recently diagnosed Prostate Cancer and Type 2 Diabetes - both of which are stable, responding to treatment, and currently do not cause any major problems.

Any info please.

User
Posted 15 Sep 2014 at 18:47

We have had to get travel cover for illnesses minus the PCa cover.

Our onco reassured us that my OH was fine to travel and that the PCa should not cause any problems.

Obviously you have to be careful though and speak to your insurers, as in the event of illness they could say it was linked to your current conditions rendering you uninsured.

One friend has got the above cover plus a separate policy from Swiss ?? something that was only £50ish and gets him home if need be, whatever the cause (with no medical disclosures required). If needed, I can chase this up and get more details from him.

Shop around. Good luck.

Alison

User
Posted 16 Sep 2014 at 01:02

Hi Graham,

You have not given much info re your diagnosis and what treatment you have had/are having.  Prostate cancer is generally slow developing and unless at quite at an advanced stage, many of us carry our own risk by having it excluded from our policies thereby making cover much lower.  It is important to consider whether further treatment might have to be undertaken prior to departure which might mean you have to cancel and lose your money for non covered problems. You should also consider what difference your other problems might make. If you type 'Travel Insurance' into the search facility you will see there are threads with suggestions  on insurance and Insurers - this is one such thread :- http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/search?g=search&query=Travel+Insurance&advanced=false#refine-results-panel

As I recall, I carried my own risk when doing a China holiday.  Incidentally, it was a wonderful experience,  the only downside for me being that generally there was only Chinese dishes available for lunch and dinner - OK I you like a lot of Chinese food!.

Barry
User
Posted 16 Sep 2014 at 19:02

It isn't always necessary to exclude prostate cancer. Insureandgo covered my husband worldwide including climbing Kilimanjaro in between his op and radiotherapy - it was just over £100 for an annual policy including cover for the cancer. Age makes a difference sometimes, he was only 52 so it was easier to get cover than for my dad who is in his 70s.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Sep 2014 at 18:59

Hi Everyone, I am looking for Advice on travel insurance too. I have advanced PC with bone metastases and since I have seen my oncologist for 5 visits over the last year we have been quoted £3234http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cry.gifhttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cry.gif

This is way more than we paid for the holiday! Has anyone any tips or advice about companies that might give us a much cheaper quote? 

I am over 65 ( by 4 weeks) this doesn't help either.http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cry.gif

User
Posted 01 Oct 2014 at 07:50

I visited China in May this year, two weeks before having my prostate removed, I had worldwide travel cover, I mentioned to the Insurace company ( 3 weeks before departure ) that I was having a procedure after my trip with the consultants blessing, they inturn cancelled my policy claiming that they couldnt cover me as I was now on a waiting list , nothing has change !

I looked around for an alternative, there are lots of choices and prices too, I ended up buying cover from M&S just for 2 weeks,  a few months later after prostate removal I took out a worldwide policy with them via there website, it cost £400 pa for me and the Mrs.

as in all cases it really does pay to shop around and it depends on the individual's health issues, travel requirements and what the insurance companies attitude to risk are !

User
Posted 01 Oct 2014 at 19:08

Hi Everyone, good news, we called a company called Eurotunnel and they have insured us for single trip with pre-existing PCa for £47.20 for both of us. Thank you for all your advice on insurance.

for anyone else who might need insurance their contact details are 08708508299

Albertthescot