I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

HORMONE HOLIDAYS - Treatment

User
Posted 24 Sep 2014 at 18:49

Well, today, 24th Sept, marks 9yrs 6 months since my very first PSA test in 2005.

That came back at 182 and then I was in the whirlwind of scans and treatments.

My prognosis was very bad, but here I still am.

I firmly believe that intermittent hormone therapy has been my saviour.

That and the fact that I was blessed to have no lymph or bone mets despite the T4 tumour.

Unbelievably, every scan since 2005 has revealed still no spread there.

I'm losing count of how many times I've been on and off hormone therapy, but I do know I'm coming up to a year now without Zoladex.

Current PSA is 0.429 and testosterone has risen (very slowly this time) to 3.3

I will now watch PSA monthly and if it heads for 10.0 I will dash back to HT.

All those years ago I never imagined I'd be still here today.

So guys, take heart, stay positive, and most important of all, stay very pro-active in your treatment plans.

George

User
Posted 24 Sep 2014 at 23:27

Hi George,
Couldn't make up my mind whether to answer this or your previous post, so I chose this one.

I think that after all my treatment it is the HT that is stabilising my PSA although mine didn't go much above 13. before surgery, my 1st PSA was 5.49 in April 04 then 8.55 November 04 so although I can't compare with you as you haven't had surgery but you did have a much higher starting PSA, we are now keeping on a similar Intermittent HT regime so LONG may we both continue, as my Bro-in-law says 'we have to live cos we need the money more than the government'.

I wouldn't wait for PSA to get to 10, I asked for HT when I went over 4, that is quite high enough for me.

See you in December at Euston.

Best wishes,
Chris

User
Posted 25 Sep 2014 at 08:15

Great news George, hope this holiday goes on for a looooong time http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

Si

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict