I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Ciprofloxacin

User
Posted 25 Sep 2014 at 21:11
I've been following since April when my Psa level had doubled to 10 from 5 in December. After investigations I had a biopsy in July. The consultant reported that it showed some atypical cells suspicious of malignancy but not diagnostic of it. He recommended a further Psa test in about nine months and that I should be referred back if the level rose above ten. I suppose all this is good news.

My query is about Ciprofloxacin which I had for three days following the biopsy. This seems to be the standard antibiotic to avoid infection. I have a chronic lung condition Bronchiectasis which causes breathlessness and a persistent cough. Within three days of having the the Cipro all these symptoms vanished and have not as yet returned. I posted this on another site dealing with lung conditions and have had several replies warning of the dangers of Cipro. They reported serious problems with tendonitis and ruptured Achilles' tendon and said it should only be used as a drug of last resort.

I am now concerned as to what I should so if I need another biopsy in the future. Is this something one should be concerned about and are there any alternatives ?

Best wishes to you all.

Pilch

User
Posted 26 Sep 2014 at 15:47

Hi Pilchard.
Had Ciprofloxacin after both of my biopsies, but have also had it a couplevofvtimes to cure serious intestinal issues, in fact we call it the Egypt pill, as it was the only thing that stopped the 'runs' after a trip to that country!
Certainly keeps the bowel bugs under control, obviously why they use it after punching holes in you down there during the biopsy.
Never had any issues with it, and not heard of tendon problems.
So my experience is extremely positive. But as they are so fond of telling you throughout this treatment programme 'everybody is different!'
Drives you bonkers after a while😜
Keep them on their toes, don't let this PCa grab a hold.
Good luck for the future.
Chris

User
Posted 02 Oct 2014 at 11:51
Hi Chris

Thanks for your reply which is very reassuring. Sometimes I think one can look too deeply into matters. I will now put it out of my mind.

Best wishes

Pilch

User
Posted 02 Oct 2014 at 15:40

Hi
Here is another view about Cyprofloxacin. My treatment started in October 2010 and was Conformal 3D RT and Hormone treatment. The HT was Prostap which I still use when necessary using hormone holidays . See my profile.

Over 10 years ago I picked up an ache around the prostate area. An infection of what was left of the prostate was suspected and before having a biopsy I had Cyprofloxacin 500 mg twice daily for 6 weeks; this was followed by a further two weeks of the same some time later.

I can say only what happened to me but I did not have any side effects from this.

I hope this helps in some way.

Alan

Edited by member 02 Oct 2014 at 15:40  | Reason: Not specified