I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Tamulosin as a treatment for overactive bladder and possible urethral narrowing due to prostate enla

User
Posted 12 Nov 2014 at 16:24
any info on how long tamulosin takes to work.Do the dizziness symptoms go away?
User
Posted 12 Nov 2014 at 20:04

Difficult question to answer. Affects some men more than others. Can't say I have had dizzy spells despite being on Tamsulosin for many years.

Barry
User
Posted 12 Nov 2014 at 20:16

Tamsulosin kicks in relatively quickly, around 24 to 48 hours and the dizziness is attributed to it reducing BP in some people.

I've been on this med for over 8 years and have never experienced any dizziness during that period.

One word of warning and that is watch out for the side effect that causes the muscles controlling the irises to become "floppy".

It can cause problems for the surgeon when performing a cataract operation and rarely as in my case caused me to develop pinpoint pupils which can lead to some people believing you taking recreational drugs but from an eyesight perspective, it doesn't cause me any problems.

However, this side effect only affects one in ten thousand (aren't I the lucky one), so I wouldn't worry about it.

Roger
User
Posted 13 Nov 2014 at 17:05

The instruction I was given by the urologist was to take the tamsulosin before going to bed because of the possible dizziness side effect.

However, I never experienced any dizziness in the 5 years I've been taking it so I take mine during the day.

Tom

User
Posted 13 Nov 2014 at 18:45

Hi Robin,

I was given Tamsulosin tablets about a week into radiotherapy to help with very restricted pee flow.  I was warned that they may reduce my blood pressure in the first few days so I was advised to be checked by my GP to see if I should take my normal bp tablets during this period.  I was recommended to take them in the evening, after a meal just in case of dizziness. 

As it was, they didn't cause me any problems and within a couple of days, my pee flow improved.  Later in the radiotherapy treatment, the flow became worst again, probably due to further swelling of the prostate.

I didn't suffer any dizziness (which maybe due caused by low blood pressure) and continue to take them now.  Not really had any problems with them so far.

All the Best,

Steve