Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hot flushes causing Father to pass ut

User
Posted 19 Nov 2014 at 20:34

Dear all

Would anyone be able to offer any advice please?

My father has advanced prostate cancer t3,just outside the prostate but not metatsized. He has finished the radiotherapy, had his psa results which were 0.1 which i thought was fabulous news. He still has to continue with the hormone therapy injections and suffers real bad with night sweats.

Last week he ended up in hospital after passing out whilst sitting on the bed, his speech was slurred for a few minutes when he came round, urinated whilst passed out and his leg was twitching a little. 15 mins later he was fine and the hospital discharged him after bloods and blood pressure. He attended the stroke clinic today where all was fine but they think it could be epilepsy and have referred him for a brain scan. However his leg did not start to twitch before he passed out, only when he came round.

I would like to know if anyone can offer any advice around the night sweats and if you have had experiences of passing out from them.

With many thanks

PS - My Dad is just the best you know!

User
Posted 19 Nov 2014 at 20:34

Dear all

Would anyone be able to offer any advice please?

My father has advanced prostate cancer t3,just outside the prostate but not metatsized. He has finished the radiotherapy, had his psa results which were 0.1 which i thought was fabulous news. He still has to continue with the hormone therapy injections and suffers real bad with night sweats.

Last week he ended up in hospital after passing out whilst sitting on the bed, his speech was slurred for a few minutes when he came round, urinated whilst passed out and his leg was twitching a little. 15 mins later he was fine and the hospital discharged him after bloods and blood pressure. He attended the stroke clinic today where all was fine but they think it could be epilepsy and have referred him for a brain scan. However his leg did not start to twitch before he passed out, only when he came round.

I would like to know if anyone can offer any advice around the night sweats and if you have had experiences of passing out from them.

With many thanks

PS - My Dad is just the best you know!

User
Posted 19 Nov 2014 at 22:53

I have taken 2 X sage leaf capsules night and morning whilst I have been on HT, I find it helps to control the sweats.
From H & B is quickest supply or on web is cheaper.
The "passed out", could it be low blood pressure? Does your Dad still have salt on his food? I know that when I bend down or kneel down doing anything, when I get up the first thing I need is a chair, or if we are shopping then a wife to lean on, caused by low BP.

Hope this helps.

Chris.

User
Posted 20 Nov 2014 at 22:33

Hi SJ,
I imagine the hospital want to make sure that the flushes are not a red herring. It would be easy to assume that the flushes and therefore the passing out are linked to the HT but possible that the hormones are not the cause at all. Best to be sure before you try self-medicating, I think

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 Nov 2014 at 22:53

I have taken 2 X sage leaf capsules night and morning whilst I have been on HT, I find it helps to control the sweats.
From H & B is quickest supply or on web is cheaper.
The "passed out", could it be low blood pressure? Does your Dad still have salt on his food? I know that when I bend down or kneel down doing anything, when I get up the first thing I need is a chair, or if we are shopping then a wife to lean on, caused by low BP.

Hope this helps.

Chris.

User
Posted 20 Nov 2014 at 22:33

Hi SJ,
I imagine the hospital want to make sure that the flushes are not a red herring. It would be easy to assume that the flushes and therefore the passing out are linked to the HT but possible that the hormones are not the cause at all. Best to be sure before you try self-medicating, I think

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard