I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA rising after surgery

User
Posted 05 Dec 2014 at 13:31

I had a total prostatectomy in March of this year. After surgery my PSA level was 0.2 and my surgeon said that could be just benign cells left behind as the prostate cancer was entirely contained and clear margins.  My lymph glands were not removed as they were not accessible with the type of operation I had.

Recent tests now show that my PSA level has risen to 1.3 which is a real worry. I have an appointment with radiotherapy on Monday and I am not expecting good news. 

Has anyone else experienced such a high increase in PSA so shortly after surgery?  My gleason score before and after surgery was 3+4.

Edited by member 12 Dec 2014 at 12:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Dec 2014 at 17:09

my radical prostatectomy was in July this year and it was said to be contained in the gland. Gleason was 3+4 before and after op. According to the histology report, at the apex the cancer extended to the resection margin. My PSA has been .104, .083 and 2 weeks ago, 0.075. The consultant is not happy that it's not below 0.03, so although mine's not rising at the moment, I'm being sent for radiotherapy anyway.

I think we should both be positive - once the RT is out of the way, we should be fine - fingers and everything else crossed! 

Good luck 

Guy

User
Posted 05 Dec 2014 at 20:09
Guy

The good thing about your results is that they are heading in the right direction. The RT route is a good second line of defence so hopefully it will knock it on the head. My results were heading in the opposite direction ie 0.03,0.043 & 0.083, had RT and now 0.01 so all is not lost. Try and enjoy the forthcoming Christmas break and recharge your batteries before the RT starts.

All the best

John

Edited by member 05 Dec 2014 at 20:11  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 Dec 2014 at 17:09

my radical prostatectomy was in July this year and it was said to be contained in the gland. Gleason was 3+4 before and after op. According to the histology report, at the apex the cancer extended to the resection margin. My PSA has been .104, .083 and 2 weeks ago, 0.075. The consultant is not happy that it's not below 0.03, so although mine's not rising at the moment, I'm being sent for radiotherapy anyway.

I think we should both be positive - once the RT is out of the way, we should be fine - fingers and everything else crossed! 

Good luck 

Guy

User
Posted 05 Dec 2014 at 20:09
Guy

The good thing about your results is that they are heading in the right direction. The RT route is a good second line of defence so hopefully it will knock it on the head. My results were heading in the opposite direction ie 0.03,0.043 & 0.083, had RT and now 0.01 so all is not lost. Try and enjoy the forthcoming Christmas break and recharge your batteries before the RT starts.

All the best

John

Edited by member 05 Dec 2014 at 20:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Dec 2014 at 17:13

I am awaiting an appointment for a scan before returning to the hospital on 26th January 2015. It seems my PSA level could be caused by an infection which I have struggled with on and off since having the surgery.  I have had various creams and tablets but there is still signs of an infection, albeit very small.

The Consultant Radiologist could not believe that my PSA was so high just nine months after surgery, as everything indicated that the cancer was contained. Hopefully, it is a false reading caused by infection, but I am aware this is only a possibility.

On 19th January 2015 I am having another PSA test and then the Consultant will decide, with the help of the scan result, whether to send me for radiotherapy.  In the meantime I have been told to keep on with pelvic floor exercises as radiotherapy will weaken everything again.  Happy days.

User
Posted 26 Jan 2015 at 22:09

hi there 

got the same result now.. 0.03 which is higher than 0.01 that i had 3 months ago after RP.. doctor wants to wait 4 months more and then most probably go for radiotherapy... i guess that PSA  0.03 is the warning level !

i want toprepare myself and would like to have some feedback about side effects of the radiotherapy after full RP and if after this usually results are positive

thanks everyone

User
Posted 27 Jan 2015 at 02:30

Hi GGM,
you might see I have just posted this on another thread. Generally, doctors would be unlikely to view figures as low as yours as significant - the official line in the UK is that 0.2 indicates chemical recurrence although some medics would consider three successive rises to reach over 0.1 as the time to consider salvage treatment. At 0.01 and 0.03, you could simply have lifted some heavy weights the night before or the sample may have been tested on a slightly different machine.

I certainly don't think you should feel depressed yet - you are still 'undetectable' which is what you presumably hoped for when you chose your treatment? Celebrate!!!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 27 Jan 2015 at 21:21

thanks for the support.. 

apparently my doctor wants to make a savage radio therapy if it keeps in increasing even if it is still undetectable...

even because i have had also 3 carcinomas removed from my bladder and urethra and just last one the beginning of a new one