Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error
<12

brachytherapy or EBRT experience.

User
Posted 06 Jan 2015 at 20:14

Yes, if there had been a problem you would know about it by now.

I too waited around for a call to say come and collect him but it didn't happen. In the end I took the decision to go as I was in Essex and he was in London and I was going by train. Also, I'm foot loose and fancy free as far as time goes and have no commitments I needed to worry about

Hopefully, by now, you have either heard or been and collected him.

He is likely to be sore and the anaesthetic may well still be making him woozy.

You'll need patience!!!!

Hope he's feeling better by tomorrow.

It's done now. Nothing more to worry about at this stage so relax and just let the seeds do their thing. It will be some time before you get seen again with any meaningful results so look after the other half and the children and let nature take its course.

Best Wishes to all of you
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 06 Jan 2015 at 20:41

I have spoken to him, apparently the catheter is causing agony, he said it feels like his old chap is on fire, they have put a fan on it and given some cooling gel, he is begging them to take it out but they said 6am tomorrow. At least it is taking his mind off the spot where the seeds went in! Sounds a bit odd, but not a lot I can do. I have spoken to a few men tonight calling to see how he is, a couple of them have catheters in and say no pain. 

You are lucky yours came out same day, we would have rather been in and out in a day, but no option, just given afternnon appointment with overnight stay.

Edited by member 06 Jan 2015 at 20:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Jan 2015 at 22:21

Well, two ways of looking at it sjtb. My husband was out the same day but suffered horrendous constipation. Had he still been in hospital he need not have suffered as he did, they supposedly would have sorted it out for him.

Hopefully, by the time the catheter is out he will be feeling better.

Try and get a good nights sleep.
Sandra

User
Posted 07 Jan 2015 at 10:07

Hello. I have a good 2 hour drive so now heading to hospital, catheter is out, the nurse said he hasn't passed enough water to leave this morning, he complained they are trying to drown him, he hates drinking much, the consultant told him he needs to change that habit. He drinks well in the Summer, but this time of year only 2 cups of tea a day and a half pint glass of water/juice/squash with dinner each day. 

I have texted him to ask if he has passed any water, but he doesn't reply. He just replied with "don't forget it is dustbin day!" 

I will let everyone know how our week goes.

User
Posted 07 Jan 2015 at 16:16

sjtb

What a relief your OH has had the op. I am sure if he keeps drinking, his discomfort will pass. Best of luck in his recovery, and make sure you look after yourself, too!

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 07 Jan 2015 at 17:57

Thanks for messages, he is home, apparently the catheter after brachy is much bigger than normal, incase a seed is passed. I decided to walk the dogs before collecting him, while I was out he phoned and said he was allowed to leave. So he had a bit of wait for me to get there. 

The only real discomfort is still from where the catheter was, the end burns when he pees too, he also sat on the hard chair for dinner and said it was a bit sore underneath, but no more symptoms. Water works seem fine so far, no blood, so hopefully things might stay ok. Hoping we both get a good nights sleep (him more than me, but could do with it too!)

User
Posted 07 Jan 2015 at 20:31

Glad it's all over eh.
Sleep well both of you

User
Posted 07 Jan 2015 at 20:31

Very good news - and at least he knows where he stands where the dogs are concerned!

Sleep well - the 2 of you.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 08 Jan 2015 at 16:54

Thanks. I only took the dogs for a walk because I 'phoned the hospital as I was about to leave and they said he had not passed enough water, they said more like early afternoon. After that he obviously performed! But I suppose they were a priority, they needed a walk!

He can't stay indoors today, been out looking at the cattle, feeding silage, his help for tonight has arrived and his overalls went and he went out too. Tomorrow I am his help as paid help stops. 

Bowels and bladder all fine at the moment. We will see what a few weeks will bring. 

Thanks again for messages.

User
Posted 16 Jan 2015 at 09:56

How are things a week on sjtb? Hope all going well.

dl

User
Posted 16 Jan 2015 at 12:33

Hello, ten days on and he isn't too bad, thanks. Main symptoms are bowels and bladder, bowels are 4 or 5 times a day (but he had problems with that before) As for bladder he keeps having to go a lot, which is to be expected, no leaking or anything, some nights it has only been twice but others up to 6 times. So that is getting exhausting, he had to be up at 5.45am for corn collection this morning, early mornings were not a problem before but they will be with lack of sleep. But let's hope it will be worth it. 

He has a very bad back at the moment which he says makes him forget about the pain in his prostate. He is worried about the pain in his prostate, but I am sure this must be normal so early on? I can't find anything about pain in the info we have, only in the few days following treatment, but says should ease after a few days, but having said that he went out on the tractor for a delivery and if anyone has ridden in a tractor it is very bouncy and he was driving an hour so I expect all the bouncing about didn't help!

So far he is working a full day as normal, from day 4 after treatment, I had a job to keep him in on day 3, he hates it indoors! at least it is a fairly quiet time on the farm so he is only usually outside from 8am till 5pm In summer he is usually out 6am till 10pm which is why we decided on treatment now while it is quiet on the farm. Calves start being born in 2 weeks time, this isn't necessarily more work, but he usually goes out a couple of times during the night to check them and occasionally he will be up most of the night with a difficult calving. So I expect there will be more tired days to come. But he can come in at lunch time for a nap if needed.

I have been looking up drinks that upset the bladder, he has cut out fruit juice and only one cup of tea with caffeine in each day. Not sure how that will go. 

But overall I would say it has gone well really, it wasn't as bad as he expected, just the tiredness, but the weeks will soon pass and that side of it will hopefully pass by. 

I can only hope everything will be successful and it will all be worth it.

Thank you for asking.

User
Posted 16 Jan 2015 at 14:48

Did they advise him to drink cranberry juice? Best thing for soothing the bladder lining.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Jan 2015 at 15:46

Hello, yes I thought of cranberry, but I found an article on things that irritate the bladder (after brachy) and it said to avoid cranberry juice and citrus juices. So wasn't sure, though I know it is meant to be good for bladder infections, so perhaps may try it, thanks.

No, we were not suggested anything, but I guess that will come at the 6 weeks check.

Thanks again. 

User
Posted 18 Jan 2015 at 23:14

Hi sjtb

Good to know all seems to be going well. My partner is also worried about me after treatment as she knows I can't sit still and am not very good at doing what I am told!

Please keep us up to date on your man.

dl

PS: so far in this experience I have had many good experiences with the NHS but when it comes to information it's not been the best. I find you have to ask and ask again if you want answers on some things, don't always wait for them to suggest something .... they are so busy these days!

Edited by member 18 Jan 2015 at 23:16  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Jan 2015 at 19:20

Hello devonlad. Thanks for asking. Yes he isn't too bad. He is still going to the toilet a lot, (both ends, but mostly bladder) he has had a very busy day today, mucking out day, plus a calf born, he says he has to keep stopping for a wee and only half eggcupfull. Then 5 mins later going again. He thinks the cold isn't helping, he is still out working now at 7pm so expect he will retire to bed early. He has only had to get up twice in the night the last 2 nights which is good.

His prostate is hurting still, not bad pain, just uncomfortable. He has 2 friends that have had brachy, both say they had no pain once the initial pain from needles had passed, so he is concerned at that. 

I noticed you had a bone scan devonlad. I wish my other half had had one. Just to put his mind at rest, he is in a lot of pain today in his back, but he does works hard and has been told the discs are worn (told this about 7 years ago) but when you get a cancer diagnosis your mind starts to fear the worst. We can only put our trust in the consultant, he says psa of 4.9 is too low for it to have spread, so we have to trust his judgment.

User
Posted 19 Jan 2015 at 19:25

LyneEyre Thanks for suggesting cranberry, I have been giving him a small glass early evening and he has only been getting up twice in the night, it may or may not be the cranberry,we can assume it is. I will keep giving it to him, with quieter nights I don't want to stop to find out!

User
Posted 20 Jan 2015 at 20:32

Hope things keep improving for you both and brachy will be curative. Stay strong,El.

User
Posted 21 Jan 2015 at 23:50

Hi sjtb

Yes I did have a bone scan but another consultant questioned whether it was really necessary (even though I didn't ask for it)! However for peace of mind your man could always ask for one even now .... they can't refuse, or at least if they do there is a way round it. Peace of mind means a lot when you are diagnosed with anything, let alone cancer.

I have a really great, and well respected,  friend who is a local farmer who had prostate cancer treatment over 11 years ago who I know would be more than happy to speak to either you or your man if that would help? He really is  a lovely bloke and will understand the pressures your man is under re. farming and at the same time trying to cope with the after treatment of prostate cancer. Let me know if you would like me to put you in touch with him? He's also in touch with many folk who have had all sorts of treatments so I am sure he would be a great contact for you both.

Take real good care of each other and I can see how much you care for your man ;-).

dl

Quote:

Hello devonlad. Thanks for asking. Yes he isn't too bad. He is still going to the toilet a lot, (both ends, but mostly bladder) he has had a very busy day today, mucking out day, plus a calf born, he says he has to keep stopping for a wee and only half eggcupfull. Then 5 mins later going again. He thinks the cold isn't helping, he is still out working now at 7pm so expect he will retire to bed early. He has only had to get up twice in the night the last 2 nights which is good.

His prostate is hurting still, not bad pain, just uncomfortable. He has 2 friends that have had brachy, both say they had no pain once the initial pain from needles had passed, so he is concerned at that. 

I noticed you had a bone scan devonlad. I wish my other half had had one. Just to put his mind at rest, he is in a lot of pain today in his back, but he does works hard and has been told the discs are worn (told this about 7 years ago) but when you get a cancer diagnosis your mind starts to fear the worst. We can only put our trust in the consultant, he says psa of 4.9 is too low for it to have spread, so we have to trust his judgment.

Edited by member 21 Jan 2015 at 23:53  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Feb 2015 at 09:24
Hello, I thought I would add how the situation is at almost 4 weeks after Brachy Incase anyone is following and considering Brachy.

Things are not too bad, the main thing really getting him down is burning when peeing, he says it is agony, though not every time he goes. Nights are ok, some nights he is up twice, some nights he has gone from 10pm through till 6am which is important as he works hard and needs sleep.

Also still opening bowels 4-6 times a day, also has burning in the back passage most of the time.

He has a constant ache in his prostate which I can't find anything about on the Internet, we know a few people that have had brachy and they didn't have any ache inside. He said it is not bad pain in the day but hurts in the evening when he comes in and sits down. 2 more weeks until we see the consultant, I think he will feel better if the consultant tells him the pain is normal. The biopsy gave him prostatitis which may have returned ( though other half says it never went)

He has booked an appointment with his gp next week about the burning, I am not sure the gp will be able to help, but he can test to see if there is an infection. He does have days when the burning is more severe and he needs to go every 10 mins or so, so perhaps an infection, though it seems ok later in the day.

I am glad he didn't have external beam therapy as he has already said he would have stopped if he had the same symptoms. But to be honest I think overall what he is experiencing isn't too bad, he is no more tired than he was before, he works hard 365 days a year so he gets tired anyway.. If the treatment works, even if only for a few years it will all be worth it. If we can find a solution to the burning then he will be happier.

I hope this is of some use to anyone thinking of Brachy, we know 3 others that have had it and didn't get the burning or the ache inside so everyone is different, he is now coming to the peak part for symptoms, so hoping in a few weeks they will ease off. Oh and if anyone wants to know at the moment everything is normal in the bedroom department. Not sure how it will be 2 years down the line as I know it can take a few years to show.

User
Posted 01 Feb 2015 at 09:39
Hi stjb

all in all it sounds as though things are quite uncomfortable for your husband, the burning sensation, urgency to pee, frequency and also the much more fequent bowel movements must be exhausting especially when he probably has to trundle back up to the house on his tractor every time. I am sure his hard working physical lifestyle is probably extending the duration of any side effects of the brachy to some degree. However I think there is the possibility of an infection, possibly even a double sited one, Urinary and bowel. If he tells his GP all of his issues he should be able to check for this and prescribe appropriate medication.

Prostatitis can also cause simlar problems so this can be checked out too.

All of this needs to be told to the consultant when you see him in 2 weeks time as well.

Good news on the lovelife

xx

Mandy Mo

User
Posted 01 Feb 2015 at 11:14

Thanks Edamo, he has an appointment with the gp end of next week. He will take a sample in with him. As for bowel movements he was going 3 or 4 times a day before treatment (that is what took him to gp to start with, but not a lot has been done for that, allergy tests done, plus another psa which brought us here, he was told bowels are normal for him) 

He could have an infection but as I said he can spend a morning going every 10 mins or so (luckily working on the farm he can wee outside) then the afternoon he will be fine again, or vice versa. Other days he is ok. He only went two or three times a day before treatment, so he is finding it hard (he didn't drink a lot before, but is drinking much more on the advice of the consultant) Most nights he isn't too bad, surely an infection would effect the nights too? He was in a lot of pain with the catheter which was in over night after brachy, he said it burnt all night and he had a fan blowing on him, we wondered whether the catheter has damaged him somehow. At least we can see if it is an infection when he sees the gp next week. Yes, we are looking forward to seeing the consultant to find out what is normal and what is not, just over 2 weeks to go.

User
Posted 02 Feb 2015 at 16:23

Hi, we managed to get the appointment for gp moved forward to today. He has been, gp tested a sample and thought there may be an infection but wasn't definite. Antibiotics prescribed anyway. We'll see how we get on. The Dr also commented on the fact that there are so many people being diagnosed with prostate cancer including his brother in law.

User
Posted 07 Feb 2015 at 20:23
Hi I was diagnose
User
Posted 07 Feb 2015 at 20:36
Hi I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in Nov 2014 - though my psa was 4.7 in july and then 6.8 inSept 2014 my gleason score is 8 - which is apparently atypical for someone with a low volume tumour, lowish psa - though the cancer is still within the prostate capsule. I have been given the option of brady or removal of prostate - still undecided due to to side effects - i consider myself an otherwise fit 59 year old - and the side effects are not a pleasant thought! i tend to favour Brady because I am still in full time work and side effects seem less problematic but I am of course worried that some ca cells are missed as the treatment is targeted to the small tumour area. Reading posts have been informative but remain undecided about choice. Have requested another chat with local Nurse Consultant on Mon to hopefully make a final decision.
User
Posted 07 Feb 2015 at 20:53

Hello Tombeeman and welcome.

I am going to reply to you here (insofar as I can) but you might get a more personal response if you start your own post.

I see from your profile that you are  a senior nurse practitioner so you will obviously have some medical knowledge.

While you wait for replies, have you looked at the publications section of this site?

There is a very good publication called "The Toolkit" and it's what we usually direct people to initially.  It has very helpful advice on all aspects of diagnosis and treatment.

Go back to the main page, click on publications and work your way from there. All free and downloadable or hard copies are available too.

My husband was one of those who started off on active surveillance and then had Brachytherapy last June, although his PSA was around yours but Gleeson was lower.

Anyway, good luck and hopefully somebody else will be along you advise you.

Best wishes

Sandra

User
Posted 08 Feb 2015 at 10:33

Hi Tombeeman, yes you are probably best to start a new conversation if you would like more replies and advice. My other half was told to just do active surveillance, but psa was 3.7 in the June and by November was 4.9 so we decided on treatment. As he has a lot of bowel problems (upset tummy all the time) he was told external beam wasn't a good idea as it effects the bowels, also as he works as a farmer with quite long days, going every day (4 hour round trip) would have been really hard to fit round work, so we ruled EBRT out. The consultant told him if he had his prostate removed he would be impotent and would need to take time off from work, so he said that he couldn't take time off and definitely didn't want to be impotent, so he would not consider surgery. That just left Brachy. He arranged part time cover for 3 days and had it done. 

Nearly 5 weeks on, he has worked from day 4 and is ok, as I am sure you have read the only real problems are opening his bowels quite a lot (as I said this was a problem before) and he has burning when he pees and some days he is going every 10 mins to half hour. He is on Tamulosin which is meant to help. It is getting him down as he had no bladder problems before, also he is experiencing a lot of pain in his prostate, but bearable and he doesn't notice it so much when he works, it is when resting. We are at the time when symptoms are at the worst, seeing the consultant in just over a week, so hoping he can help and perhaps things might settle.

We have 3 friends that have had brachy and after the first week of soreness they had no pain or symptoms of any sort. That is worrying for him, but I suppose it effects some people more, 2 of them are retired and the other has a sitting down job, my other half has quite a physical job and can't rest, so perhaps that doesn't help.

If the brachy works then I think it will be worth it in the end. It could have been a lot worse after all.

Until I looked on here I couldn't understand why a man would want to have prostate removed, but having read that some just want the cancer gone, I think the statistics on it returning (1 in 3 men) are similar whatever treatment, but if the prostate is removed and it returns in the same place then there are more options for treatment. Whereas if you have had brachy then the maximum dose of radiotherapy has already been given. Not all surgeons will remove the prostate if the seeds are in from brachy, so there are less options for treatment if it returns. That is why some have it removed.  

I did lots of reading beforehand, though obviously not my choice in the end. The other half seems to think if he didn't have 3 young boys he may have let nature take it's course rather than intervene. Not a good idea in my opinion!

User
Posted 16 Feb 2015 at 15:59

Hello, I thought I would put an update on here (incase anyone is reading this and thinking of Brachy) We have had a bad 4 weeks, lots of burning, lots of trips to the toilet (both ends!) Also a painful prostate when he sits down. Been quite a tough time.

We saw the consultant oncologist today, he prescribed anti-inflammation tablets, he said the pain inside is radiation prostatitis. The burning is a radiation cystitis, he said only 10% get such bad side effects. Tamulosin now to be taken twice a day. 

CT scan done, everything looks fine. PSA at 6 weeks after brachy is 2.9 (4.9 before brachy)

So hoping everything will start to get better.

Edited by member 17 Feb 2015 at 13:55  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Feb 2015 at 17:04

Glad you finally got to see somebody to sort the other half out. What a nuisance for him.
Wish him better. Good that the PSA has come down.
At least it shows the pain he is going through has produced a desired effect

User
Posted 16 Feb 2015 at 18:18

Hello Johsan, thanks. Yes he feels much better now the psa has gone down. We are seeing him in 3 months, the norm is 6 months, but due to the problems we are returning earlier. Best wishes.

User
Posted 16 Feb 2015 at 18:41
Hi

so pleased that you now have answers as well as some treatment that should reduce the discomfort. I always find it a bit annoying when someone throws a statstic like that at you . 1 in 100 just 1% or whatever it doesn't change the fact that your husband is it does it? Always reminds me of politicians. The PSA reduction is great news so I really hope that all the itis's wear off quickly so that you can get back to some degree of normality.

Best wishes

xx

Mo

User
Posted 22 Feb 2015 at 11:25

Hi Guys,

I had external beam RT 7 years ago, and salvage HDR Brachytherapy earlier this month, and I have to say that the HDR Brachytherapy has been far kinder on my bowels and I have suffered very little, indeed I have had to take liver salts once!

The only disadvantage with HDR Brachytherapy I have experienced is a sore penis, and I think that is mostly a consequence of the large bore catheter they use to water wash your bladder during treatment, however this is exactly the same as the template biopsy so I expect it will clear in a few weeks.

Overall very glad I had it done and I would recommend HDR Brachytherapy to anyone.

:)

Dave

User
Posted 23 Feb 2015 at 14:45
Hello Dave, that is great that you had a better time than my other half. I think he is in the minority, he is much better now, still a bit of burning in his back passage and the ache in his prostate, but it was the bladder symptoms that really got him down. He has just slept all night for 2 nights on the trot, so he is pleased as I think the worst night he was up 7 times! The burning when he wees is easing too, thank goodness. I hope you continue to do well.
User
Posted 06 Mar 2015 at 10:18

Glad things are starting to look up, farmers work so hard a good nights sleep is so important (for both of you!).

Hope things continue to improve

Lara