Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error
<12

Running and exercise

User
Posted 23 Jul 2015 at 05:25

good to read that you are feeling better, it will help mentally as well whilst running.

just entered another 10k, wifey not to sure I should be doing it as its 3500 feet above sea level, and worried I may struggle with their being less oxygen, but hey when will I get chance to run this again, and its in support of the local firemans burns unit, its at Sprucemeadows which is one of the big international show jumping arenas, just hope you are not expected to do any of the jumps, watersplash maybe or dressage so best start practising my high knee lifts

nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 23 Jul 2015 at 20:04
Paul

I hope you do not mind me posting this here but the PM service is kaput and I know you want to get this

radar key ... can be provided free by some local council offices

can be purchased for about a fiver from

https://crm.disabilityrightsuk.org/radar-nks-key

you do not have to be registered disabled but may need to declare it is for personal use due to a medical condition to be VAT exempt.

Hope this post gets seen by you it is so frustrating having to report errors on something so widely used.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 10 Aug 2015 at 17:46

I'm now 5 weeks to go to my Great North Run and am am only 1-2 days behind my training plan.

My upset stomach due to abbi + enzalutamide is much improved.
Ive had one week off both tabs and my bad tum improved, then I had one week on abbi only and my tum worsened a little and I was able to run up to 6.5 miles with no trouble. I'm currently nearing the end of my third week which is back to no drugs (except of course the HT jabs) and my tum is much improved. Im due to run an 8/9 miler to keep on schedule.
From Wednesday I'm onto enzalutamide only so might get the bad tum back again.
After that I'm back with the Stampede team to consider dosages.

I'm finding the training very tough and am 1 minute/mile slower than last year.
But got to plod on and finish it I've a lot of sponsors backing me.
Curse this PCa.

This race I'm running for Yorkshire Cancer Research as I deferred my place with them from last year.

Keep faith all you runners and I hope to see at least LynEyre there in Newcastle or en route.. 😀

Paul

User
Posted 10 Aug 2015 at 22:04
So glad you have not given up despite everything my friend. What you are doing is so important for you and others. The sense of achievement when you finish will be overwhelming and as for the time, it really is not important, as Nike says! "Just do it"

Sorry I am too far away to cheer you on by put my thoughts will be with you.

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 11 Aug 2015 at 08:29

Kev
Thanks so much for your encouragement and thoughts.

I guess you're right about the time but it's still so annoying. I've always tried to improve on my times but I guess I've got to be satisfied with just finishing.
I suppose it's just lowering the goalposts and starting another target, I always wanted to do a second London Marathon but in under 5 hours when I got to 70 (which is next January) because then you get automatic entry for the subsequent years as a good for age - that's if I get in.
Who knows stranger things have happened?

anyway best go I've an appointment with my GP Nurse for my next quarterly Prostap jab in the tum.

Paul

User
Posted 11 Aug 2015 at 21:35
Please don't get annoyed with the time. I bet if you wrote to London marathon and said what your situation ips they may give you a place as under 6 hours with cancer is good for any age.

I am in MDS next year, I have a coach who makes me run at less than 127 bpm, that is slow but over 156 miles that will be fine, I have already envisaged the smile on my face when I finish!

Stay strong, remember running is having both feet in the air at some stage, that is an achievement in itself for many able bodied people. I saw an old friend tonight coincidently who was a better rugby player than me in our 20's but has recently self harmed and wants to end his life as he has severe depression, it made me bith sad and envigourated as despite all that I (we ) have , I have never wanted to end it , all I want is to extend it any way I can and running is a way of feeling alive despite all the what ifs.

Good luck in the GNR, you don't need it though.

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 13 Aug 2015 at 20:40
Great work on the running guys. I've ran all through my treatment. The only time I stopped was whilst wearing the Catheter. It was just too painful. I ran a trail marathon 3 days after having my Catheter removed & have continued to run a marathon every 2 to 3 weeks since. 11 since November last year. I've had life issues to cope with along the way & have to work full time too but I do what I can. Pre cancer I was averaging 3.40ish per marathon, now I'm more like 4.20. I've had to battle with my brain & reset my targets. I'm also a stone up. I've lost the competitive fire in my belly but over the moon to be an 'also ran' as opposed to fighting for good for age.

I love the marathon. It has everything for me. Highs, lows. Utter elation, despair all in a few hours. I find them so relaxing though at a 9 minute ish pace & enjoying a chat & the scenery along the way.

My run Britain ranking has dropped from 9.1 to 16 in a year, I've suspended my speed sessions with the club but I'm the happiest plodder going & delighted to still be part of the wonderful running community.

Would be great to meet on a race line somewhere & stick 2 fingers up to cancer together.

Life's a Marathon. Run in peace.

User
Posted 13 Aug 2015 at 22:22

Carlos
It's amazing what you've done are doing. I wish I could feel relaxed at a 10m/mile pace this year.
Last year my best half marathon was at 8:45 pace and 10k at 8:18 but so far this year I'm so far down to 9:24 for the half and 9:29 for the 10k. Mind they were both hilly W.Yorkshire routes.

You are right about the battle with the brain though it's sometimes like "what's the point"

I wish sometimes I'd started running earlier cos I only started seriously when I retired at 63.
Anyway I got the bug and hope to carry on.
Unlike you and many of the other runners I've had not surgery or RT or chemo but only Ht and experimental drugs so who knows what the future will bring.

Great post and so inspiring.

It would be good to all meet up. From my point I usually enter Leeds and GNR half but would like to do London again

Cheers

Paul

User
Posted 19 Sep 2015 at 18:45

I had my Prostate removed in April 2015 at the age of 70. For a number of years before this date I was an almost daily off road runner, running between 3 - 5 miles a day, rain or shine throughout the year.

After my operation my running days just ended. By June I felt OK and returned to my other passion, long distance hiking, camping and backpacking. I tested myself at the beginning of June by hiking Offas Dyke Path, fine except I leaked a bit on some of the steep downhill bits. That depressed me a bit but over the next few weeks my confidence grew, so from mid july to September I hiked across the Pyrenees for over 40 days. I had no further problems with leakage, I was so relieved! A couple of weeks in to the hike and I realised that I now had a hernia. I nearly came home but managed to buy a truss, which worked and was comfortable so I just carried on walking to the finish.

I have been kicking my heels around and about at home now for a couple of weeks and was becoming restless and irritable. On the spur of the moment this morning, whilst my wife was having a lie in, I decided to go for a run in the woods. I tightened up my truss, drove to the woods and gave it a go!

Brilliant! I thought I would really find it really difficult but I ran just over 2 miles and felt really great. I was not out of puff, my legs worked well, my legs and feet were soaked by the early morning dew but I did not care. I just felt like a kid again! I just cannot explain how good it made me feel but I have been in a really good mood all day. I'm going out again tomorrow as well.

User
Posted 19 Sep 2015 at 20:15

Dear gunwharfman
That's brilliant
I read about your hike along the pyrenees - that's some feat. I know the Pyrenees as I have a holiday home on the French south side.
I did a days hike in the Odesa National Park in the Spanish Pyrenees in July which was hard enough for me never mind about 40 days of hiking - wow.
At the moment I prefer running. I've just done my 4th Great North Run and hope to carry on next year after I'm 70 (in January 2016)

I wish you well with your treatment, your hiking and your running.

Paul

User
Posted 20 Sep 2015 at 12:02

I have always wanted to have a go at The Great North run but have never made it. I've done the Great South Run a couple of times. Its easy for me to join in this run because the route goes straight past my front door and the start and finish point is only a mile away.

I met a few people that either have holiday homes or who live in or around the Pyrenees permanently, they seem to think its a bona kind of place.

Unless my health goes downhill I am planning to hike the route again next July, but this time from Banyuls to Hendaye and to take the longest route, not missing Garvarnie this time.

User
Posted 28 Sep 2015 at 18:51

After a recent long distance hike I got home knowing that I developed a hernia en route I told myself that all I had to do now was wait for my next hospital appointment at the beginning of October before doing anything else.

Well, I couldn't wait, I became more and more restless.

The Saturday before last, whilst my wife was having a lie in, I drove to a local wood which I know well, tightened up my truss and just started to run. The last time I had a run was April 2nd and I was surprised to find that, after such a long layoff, it was so easy to do. Since then I have run off road everyday since, minimum 3 miles but today 5 miles. The weather has been fantastic and I've enjoyed every second.

I even wanted to check my balance skills so on Thursday last I ran around Farlington Marshes (I live in Portsmouth) and stayed on the concrete sea wall, which is about 20" wide, for more than one and a half miles. That was good because I was able to prove to myself that my balance is as good now as it was before I had my operation, if it wasn't I would have fallen into the sea.

I still find it odd that all my preconceptions of what my life would turn into after a Prostate removal was totally wrong. I genuinely believed that my normal lifestyle would come to an end, especially in the period when I was incontinent, but thankfully I was wrong!

Knowing that I can run again has really lifted my mood. I've even decided to treat myself to a new pair of off-road shoes before the end of the week is over.

User
Posted 29 Sep 2015 at 19:14

GWF
That's inspiring
I'm trying to restart the running after the GNR. I'm in Argeles sur Mer for another 3 weeks enjoying the sunshine so it's a bit harder to get up and run.
Instead I'm doing some swimming - did 0.75 km today.

Thanks for posting

Paul

User
Posted 01 Oct 2015 at 17:45

Hi Healey - I caught a bus at Banyuls Sur Mere (it was empty except for me) to Perpingan (by now it was packed to capacity) a few weeks ago and it went through Argeles where most passengers got on. Good system, 1 euro whatever the journey length! I travelled at least 40km.

I had really good news today. I saw the surgeon and he told me the cancer is now gone. I have now been discharged and from now on, only have to have six monthly checkups.

All I now have to wait for is for my hernia to be repaired.

I celebrated by going for an off road run! Its alright, I have a tight truss. A fantastic day, sunny and hot, didn't see a soul and ran 3 miles through the woods.

I now feel confident that I can plan ahead for a while. I hope to hike and camp for a few days in The Lakes next week, then Spain (Calpe) for two weeks at the end of October (I'm taking my bike) and then back to The Lakes to camp again (maybe YHA?) in November. Just wish I could 'beat the system' and get a cheap rail return fare from Portsmouth to Penrith.

I had hoped to climb Great Gable in The Lakes on November 11th for the First World War service and commemoration but unfortunately I will still be away. Tried to get to this event for three years but have never made it. Anybody on this site planning to go?

I have also decided that if my luck holds and I am still in good health, I hope to hike the GR10 in France again next year, but this time from Banyuls to Hendaye.

User
Posted 01 Oct 2015 at 19:54

Great news gunwharfman.
Very pleased for you and long may it continue.

Best Wishes
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 22 Nov 2015 at 15:43

Hello friends

I wondered how you all are doing with your running.

I for one completed the 2015 GNR (which I struggled with) in September but have found it hard to get back to maintaining my running with only 2 runs done up to 3 miles this month.

As an alternative I thought I'd try a bit of hiking. I've done 3 up to 10.5 miles up the Colne Valley in West Yorkshire
I think it was good to go this way as its motivated me to get running again. Mind you the 2c temperatures around here are a challenge.

I've not yet entered any races for 2016 as I'm waiting to see how I'm feeling after a reasonable 10k.
Would like to go for Hudds & M/c 10k and Leeds half marathon. We will see.

I know Steve is entered for the Reading half Marathon so that's giving me a nudge.

What are you planning Nidge, Kev and all?

My psa is holding down as at last reading ,blood stats all ok and I "think" my hot flushes are easing a bit. Got a bit of bowel problems tho. Next Onco appt is in January 2016

All the best to everyone

Paul

Edited by member 22 Nov 2015 at 15:44  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Nov 2015 at 17:35

hi
do find my running hard, especially any sort of hill, my breathing is very short and shallow, been running up to 10k in training

got a 10k planned in December at Bolsover, starting to get a bit more slower, did 3miles to day took me 30mins, compared to earlier in year would have been under 21mins

am hoping once get through this chemo that running will become a bit easier its never going to be sub 7 min mileing, but would love to feel a little more comfortable

nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 22 Nov 2015 at 19:17

Hi Nidge
Nice to hear from you, I'm same with my times up. I can just about find a 3 mile run round here which is flat so I've no restarted the hills but will shortly. Another hike planned for Tuesday but only along the canal towpath.
I wish you well with the chemo in the meantime. I've that yet to come no doubt.

Paul

User
Posted 22 Nov 2015 at 20:20

Hi,

To celebrate the first anniversary of my heart attack, I walked the Reading Half Marathon course yesterday. 

The last time I actually ran it, it took me 1hr, 18mins, 56secs.  Yesterday took a little longer. 

I had to take it easy because it's only less than three weeks since my coronary angioplasty but I wanted to prove to myself that I could still cover the distance, even if I had to walk it.

I'm still disappointed that I had to miss this year's race after promising so many people I was going to do it.  I hope to make up for it next year.

Paul, Nidge & Kev, hope things continue to improve with your running.  It's nice to have a target to work towards, helps take your mind off other problems.

Take care.

Steve

User
Posted 22 Nov 2015 at 20:52
Hi

Still in the Marathon Des Sables next April. Training changed somewhat due to knee damage. MRI shows cartilage issues, early arthritis and swollen joint. I have not run now for 4 weeks, 1 more week off then another mRI and see what the doc says.

To be honest unless it's got worse doing no running then I will go for it in any case as 2016 is probably my last chance at this race as ultra stuff foes you in, not the races but the training and it's likely from what I have read that some/most/all the pain may be due to the chemo/ HT effects as dire joints seem to be common.

Been to the gym 5 times a week and dine many hours on the bike or swimming so fitness is not totally gone.

Will let you all know at the flyer as that is the day after seeing doc.

I won't give up until its physically impossible.

Kev

User
Posted 22 Nov 2015 at 22:38
OMG you guys are awesome

I am completely blown away by your tenacity.

Kev knowing ths issues you have had if you do Les Sables I personally will come and dope the camels!

I salute every one of you and will try to do my best at the 5k colour run in May16

xx

Mo

User
Posted 22 Nov 2015 at 22:50

Hi Kev,

Really hope you manage to get back to training to achieve your dream.

See you at the Flyer.  I see the oncologist the day before so I'll be hoping for good news too.

Take care.

Steve

User
Posted 22 Nov 2015 at 23:24

Kev
You're already doing more than me to keep fit.
I know what you mean about dire joints, I'm certainly much stiffer nowadays (and that's only after 11 months HT) and get out of breath easier.
Steve impressive time and a good long walk around the coarse,

Excuse my ignorance but what's the Flyer?

Paul

User
Posted 23 Nov 2015 at 00:10

Hi Paul,

Just answer your question, "The Flyer" Event is held each year in London, in a pub of the same name in early December (this year on the 2nd) where a group of us meet up to enjoy a buffet meal and drinks.  It's organised by George_H (one of the members of this site).

A bigger event is held in June each year near Leicester where about 70 to 80 people get together.  I went this year and it's well worth attending to meet up with people who are members of this site.

If your interested in coming along to one of these events, PM me and I can give you George's contact details.

Steve

User
Posted 23 Nov 2015 at 15:30

Hi Im post De Vinci coming up to 5 weeks,was a keen runner prior to the operation,out 4 times a week,not competing anymore just love to run,any advice when to try starting again,im still having continence problems(as im sure a lot of people on the forum are too.

Best of luck to all.

Polarbear2.

User
Posted 23 Nov 2015 at 17:47

Hi pb2

I'm sorry I cannot help with practical advice but I always found that a certain blog spot by an Irish master runner on how he got back into his marathon running after having his prostate removed was very inspiring.
You can find it at
Prostate runner.blogspot.com

Well worth a read.

Hope it helps and I wish you well with your recovery.

Paul