I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Electrical Stimulation for incontinence

User
Posted 21 Jan 2015 at 16:41

Has anyone used the electrical stimulation system for incontinence?

Do they have it available in the UK?

I was five months down the road and still not in control of my bladder and was prescribed this in a course of 20 treatments.

It worked well for me.

I lived and was being treated in France and I wondered if it is used here.

If not I have the info on it if anyone would like to know more.

david82150

User
Posted 19 Feb 2015 at 23:59

Hi

I suffer from Cauda Equina Syndrome (Google it) which is nerve damage caused by a spinal cord injury.

I am posting here as I have just had a PPA result of 12.3 so doing a bit of research before my Urologists appointment.

As a result of my CES I was doubly incontinent and had a Sacral Nerve Implant, basically a battery wired to my spinal cord. This worked very well and after 3 years I have regained sufficient control and had it removed. I think this is what you are referring to.

The only upside I can think of for myself is that if I do find out I have prostate problems or pc, then I already know how, and that I can, deal with any incontinence.

Edited by member 20 Feb 2015 at 06:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Feb 2015 at 11:09

that's a fantastic attitude you have martinX10
hope that all goes well for you

User
Posted 20 Feb 2015 at 12:16
Hi Guys
just to avoid any confusion the implant that stimulates the sacral nerves is not widely available on the NHS for post RT incontinence, I do not know why maybe it is thought that recovery can take a while and resources are scarce. I did a mountain of research when my Husband suffered a Spinal Cord ompression. His biggest upset and mental trauma was caused by the CES especially as he was partially paralysed and therefore relied on me and hosptal staff for his personal care. I asked if the implant was an option but was told that a) it was not a treatment offered on the NHS and b) it was not appropriate for someone with late stage cancer receiving palliative care only.
I know that those who have had this treatment following severe spinal injuries often make a full recovery from single or double incontinence so it is a great idea to mention it as a possible option, but for those reliant on the NHS make enquiries by all means but do not think this is an automatic option.
Mo
User
Posted 20 Feb 2015 at 12:46

I think the treatment David refers to is different to the implant described by Martin. It seems David has had something along the lines of TENS where a probe is put up the back passage for a few moments to send a current to the pelvic floor muscles while the patient does his PFEs. It is available on the NHS although perhaps not in all regions or to all patients. In the case of TENS, the electric current is designed to block pain - in the case of incontinence, it is supposed to liven up the pelvic floor and help the man identify which muscles he should be working on so that PFEs are more effective.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 20 Feb 2015 at 13:00

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I think the treatment David refers to is different to the implant described by Martin. It seems David has had something along the lines of TENS where a probe is put up the back passage for a few moments to send a current to the pelvic floor muscles while the patient does his PFEs. It is available on the NHS although perhaps not in all regions or to all patients. In the case of TENS, the electric current is designed to block pain - in the case of incontinence, it is supposed to liven up the pelvic floor and help the man identify which muscles he should be working on so that PFEs are more effective.

I inquired about 'TENS' type treatment for my stress incontinence with my physio before she discharged me.

She told me in my case it would not help as I had a good strong squeeze with my PF muscles and so I was not going to benefit.

In my area apparently it's only used if you are struggling to contract your PFM's  in the first instance...

Edited by member 20 Feb 2015 at 13:00  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 20:13

Just for future readers of this thread. Sacral Nerve Stimulation for suffers of CES is available on the NHS, but the patients are very carefully selected. It was never envisioned that I would not need the battery for the rest of my life, I was just lucky that my nerves healed over the years enough to give me enough control if I'm careful.

The battery is only the size of a mobile battery and lasts about 3 years before it needs changing.

I asked if I could have a jack put in my tummy button to charge my phone from it but was told that was only available BUPA. My consultant has a good sense of humour.

On a personal note I had another blood test and my PSA has gone from 12.8 to 1.3 in two weeks!